Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jack, from your ad I figured you are referring to the FBS model's audio.

July 22, 2019 05:51PM avatar
In the past I have owned over a half-dozen of the Explorer II's, an SE Pro, and had loan of the CTX-3030 for a couple of weeks to do some hunting and comparisons. From experience, I understand what some of their strengths are, especially with the praises they get for being a better choice for higher-conductive coins, such as copper and silver. I also know that under the best circumstances and everything in your favor, they can sometimes get a little better depth of detection than some other detectors on the market. I also know, from first-hand, in-the-field experiences, that they do not always achieve some of the claims I hear on some forums that, to me, seem to be a bit stretched from reality.

To me they do have some strengths and weaknesses, just like every make and model out there. And for me, even with as much time as I spent trying to enjoy those models, the one thing I disliked the most was their audio tone response. I use some detectors without a visual display, but most do have a numeric VDI response. However, I often never even glance at it in most of the tougher sites I hunt because the amount and type f trash easily degrades a desired targets audio tone and visual read-out to the point of being unreliable. I DO, however, rely a great deal on just the audio response and the information you can get, audibly, if the detector has a well designed audio circuitry.

I haven't used the newer Minelab, the Equinox, enough to determine if it is likeable or not, for me and my hearing, but the FBS models just were not / are not a desired feature for me.

So, here is my opinion: Shop for detectors as you normally would do, but always pay close attention to their audio response by sampling a number of targets. Regardless of the other features a detector might offer, if it doesn't sound good to you, keep on looking. They will not all be the same as noted in my current Regular-Use Detector Team, so be prepared to learn and understand the differences. I have a variety of audio response behavior from the models I own and use4, but I understand their individual strengths and weaknesses and I can pick the make, model and audio performance I feel is a good fit for the sites I like to hunt.

Let us know what you have, or plan to get, to take the place of the CTX-3030 and what you think of it or them.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Minelab tones

Kraemer 154 July 22, 2019 10:41AM

Those Minelab Tones

UtahRich 112 July 22, 2019 11:58PM

To each their owngrinning smiley

Hombre 110 July 24, 2019 07:33PM

Another very good response, Rich, and it holds true today.

Monte 98 July 23, 2019 01:43AM

Jack, from your ad I figured you are referring to the FBS model's audio.

Monte 102 July 22, 2019 05:51PM

Minelab tones

UtahRich 97 July 22, 2019 11:36AM

Hey Rich, wrong forum, look at the smiling bouncing smileyBuy Sell or Trade forum N/T

Hombre 89 July 22, 2019 12:07PM

You got that right.

UtahRich 101 July 22, 2019 03:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018