Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another very good response, Rich, and it holds true today.

July 23, 2019 01:43AM avatar
UtahRich
I bought my explorer xs back in 2000 and the multi-tones were a challenge at first if you’re coming from a single ton or even a 2, 3, or 4 tone machine.

I think of it as listening to a single note being played on a guitar or piano vs listening to a chord. There is a lot that be gathered from a detector with a really good audio response. Lots of nuance to what that single tone is telling you. Now take that response and make a musical chord out of it and imagine what you can gather out of it once you learn.

I used both the explorer XS and etrac for many years. They certainly have their advantages for some types of coinshooting and have a knack for snooping out the high conductors. Like other detectors, they also have their weaknesses.

Best of luck,

Rich
You spent ample time afield to learn the FBS series audio. I guess what I should say is you spent the time to learn and understand the audio. Often it is described as sort of a "fluty" sound and I know for me that it was kind of 'okay' but at the same time is was also sort of annoying. We all have different hearing abilities and some like different sounds than others. I know that in my case, I do not like most 'multi-tone' audio choices and the White's XLT is the only detector that ever appealed to me as I happen to like the unit's Tone ID.

Otherwise, I like a good Single Tone detector, especially if it is like a favored Tesoro model because, once learned, there is quite a bit of tell-tale audio in that single-tone response. Beyond that a good 2-Tone or 3-Tone audio, if it is pleasant, works fine for me. What I am finding today is just how informative the XP ORX is. Not only is it a 3-Tone audio, but with the enhancement of the Modulation it provides, I feel the ORX has one of the best audio tone designs of most detectors I have ever used. I also really enjoy both the VCO enhanced 2-Tone and processed 3-Tone choices of the Nokta CoRe and Relic units I use.

You put in a lot of time for the types of urban sites you enjoyed hunting with the Explorer and E-Trac and became comfortable with their audio to the point that those devices served you well for your search sites. I tried, but for me their audio and I just didn't get along very well. And while I used to work urban Coin Hunting sites a lot, the bulk of my hunting is done in very ferrous debris littered sites and those are not some of the better places to use an FBS model. At least not in my opinion.

Best of success with what you are using now.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 07:42AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Minelab tones

Kraemer 156 July 22, 2019 10:41AM

Those Minelab Tones

UtahRich 114 July 22, 2019 11:58PM

To each their owngrinning smiley

Hombre 112 July 24, 2019 07:33PM

Another very good response, Rich, and it holds true today.

Monte 102 July 23, 2019 01:43AM

Jack, from your ad I figured you are referring to the FBS model's audio.

Monte 104 July 22, 2019 05:51PM

Minelab tones

UtahRich 102 July 22, 2019 11:36AM

Hey Rich, wrong forum, look at the smiling bouncing smileyBuy Sell or Trade forum N/T

Hombre 91 July 22, 2019 12:07PM

You got that right.

UtahRich 104 July 22, 2019 03:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018