Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How about Fruit & Vegetable Time in your area?

July 31, 2019 06:25PM avatar
No, I'm not curious about your diet favorites. I'm curious about any Fruit & Vegetable Stands that might still be in use in your area, or if you recall long-ago outlets that just might be huntable and offer some opportunities to find some of the older (aka Silver and other older favorites) coins. We had all kinds of 'local' and 'public' places to hunt in those earlier days, with parks and schools and parking strips and ... the list goes on, and I included some of those more productive places on my search list early-on.

By the late 1960's and on through the '70s and into the early to mid-'80s, in both of the major populated places where I lived in NW Oregon and N. Utah, we still had a lot of very active roadside stands where we could get some good food during harvest seasons. Many were located right along and close to the roadways, and many were just off the quick access areas where owners had good sized stands on their property. In conjunction with hunting the retail stands, I also used to get permission to work the strawberry and raspberry fields once the harvest was over and the fields had been turned.

Strawberry fields were, by far, the biggest coin producers I worked in the harvesting area, but I did okay on many treed orchards as well. I enjoyed hunting both production areas and retail stands, but have to give more credit to the results I got from the stands, but many had a lot of rock and packed dirt to deal with and some of the earlier detectors didn't handle the conditions quite as easily. Also, some fruit & vegetable stands are designed for only front counter walk-up sales, while others have more of an open 'indoor' area to walk around more and shop. Some of those closed up their windows and doors at night so that limited my access during the busier seasons.

On the short trip I just took, that let me put in a lot of quick-hit detecting on Monday at a lot of small town playgrounds, I took a look around at many of those towns where I know they used to have some produce stands, but most are gone. The last few decades of re-routed roads and many once busy towns now bypassed due to major freeways and such, many of the smaller towns that relied on that extra livelihood have families who grew and the younger generation forgot about or simply did away with the produce markets.

I know many of those old locations have been built-over or altered, but there still are some of the long-ago places left. Not all are in operation, but many that aren't do still have the old structure there or some huntable outside area where they were. Often it doesn't take a lot of kind asking to get permission to hunt those areas, and it's somewhat easier because you're not asking to disturb their manicured lawn.

Have YOU ever search old produce stands? The older ones that date back into the '20s through the '70s or later? They can be rewarding to work, and the dedicated area is somewhat confined and you can usually park right closer to where you'll be hunting. That was what got my thinking going more on that drive because I can't wander out and hunt plowed fields or work my way through orchards like I once could.

Just some thoughts as we are starting to work through various harvest seasons this time of year and maybe, just maybe, a reader or two here on the Forums might get some inspiration to track down a new-to-them search site .... and be rewarded for doing so.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

How about Fruit & Vegetable Time in your area?

Monte 152 July 31, 2019 06:25PM

Re: How about Fruit & Vegetable Time in your area?

WM6 82 August 01, 2019 01:19PM

We just have to use our imagination, or reseach, and always be alert.

Monte 87 August 04, 2019 02:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018