Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New model introduction videos. Makes you wonder.thinking

August 03, 2019 07:14AM avatar
It's interesting that it has been the USA, or actually the North America market since we need to include Canada, that appears to have been the biggest promoter of "low-end" (lesser quality ??) or "low-cost" detector models for quite a long time. Decades, really, and I'm referring to models since we started getting the slow-motion/quick-response designs with newer features in '83.

While some of what we have seem more recently do offer useful features, good search coil selections, and can provide decent performance for serious urban Coin Hunting use, really where do all those many models fit? We have seen this past decade to very recent (and I'll include some proven good detectors such as Fisher's F44, Teknetics Omega 8000, and White's Classic ID and IDX Pro with some of the better units) models that I even don't mind having on-hand to use, for friends and family, or as a loaner-unit. However, I think the majority of what has been out there falls short in good performance and/or functional features all falls into that lower-end stuff such as White's Prizm, Coinmaster and Treasure series, Garrett's Treasure Ace and Ace series, and a whole bunch of the Bounty Hunter mass-marketed products, especially before most of them were reengineered about 2006.

Most everything else kept climbing in MSRP to the point that I am certain it pushed a lot of hobbyists out. A good size number of people get 'interested' in the metal detecting hobby, and I personally know quite a few who wanted to get into it, but the budget-priced detectors were inferior in quality, wimpy on performance, and usually got belittled by or teased about by other they met in the sport who owned and used better-working models in the mid-to-upper priced range. I have friends who just couldn't work a better unit into their family budget.

Very recently we have seen some major moves by manufacturers to make marketing and promotion adjustments to try and recapture some of the consumers who have been reluctant to join the fun. White's has kept their high retail prices or raised the price of some of their lower-end models, but they did introduce two mid-priced detectors in the MX Sport, and the even better MX-7. Garrett has ... well, we're still waiting to see what they can do to compete. The folks at First Texas products did introduce some improved low-cost models like the F44, etc., and they drastically reduced the retail price of the top-dollar Fisher F75 and Teknetics T2. also offer a couple of variants with their '+' versions.

So much from our three remaining US detector manufacturers. From the makers away from this country we had Nokta and Makro, just 4½ years ago, bring out the FORS CoRe and Racer which were competitively priced and also very competitive as serious performing devices, not budget-level 'toys.' Then they reduced some retail prices and continued to bring out more new detectors. That really started in early 2015, and by late 2015 they also introduced a new Gold + model and Gold Racer model for that segment of the industry. 2016 started with the Racer 2 and soon after the FORS Relic, both bringing the market new features and top-end performance, all affordably priced compared with the going high-end offerings from other makers.

In 2017 they started the year introducing the selectable multi-frequency Impact, and last year they first brought out the Kruzer series and by year's end the Anfibio series. Also last year we saw the release of Minelab's new Equinox series models and like the new upper-end units from Nokta / Makro, they were also priced down in that $900 range rather than where higher-priced detectors have been. The French maker, XP, has had their Deus out now for 10 years, but it's been a higher-dollar model. This year they introduced a more competitive model, the ORX, that's based on the Deus but 'simplified' and retails for $799. That also brings them into the more popular retail market we see today.

So it looks like in the recent 5-6 years we have seen a major market shift to offer full-featured, top-end detectors pretty much in the $700 to $900 price range, at least my the manufacturers who seem to have the better engineering staff and money to invest in marketing and growth, when compared to two of the USA detector makers. But none of those three other 'foreign-to-us' companies have really been competitive with decent products in the "entry level" or "affordable priced" market with a detector that was decent.

Nothing in the wind from XP in that market group, but now we have the announcement from Nokta / Makro that their Simplex+ is due out by month end, and there are some questionable videos from Minelab the past several months, without a lot of detail yet, about the Vanquish that is anticipated as maybe being a budget-priced detector.

Have you watched the new video in a dealer's shop for the Nokta / Makro Simplex+? I have, about a dozen times now. It is informative, and fun to catch the subtle hints in it without a competitor's brand named. Personally, I think it is one of the better introduction videos a marketing group has done, at least in a long spell. The biggest message I think a lot of avid detectorists and savvy hobbyists might get from this is we are seeing a new direction in the industry.

Look at the releases in just the last 1 to 1½ years and we have top quality, well engineered, and now proving themselves to be performers with the likes of the Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta-Makro Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi, and XP ORX, with all of them retailing here in the US for $799 to $899. Those were top-model prices back from '84 to '94 ....twenty-five to thirty-five years ago!

The metal detecting hobby, as a whole, has been suffering and declining for decades here in North America, and a practical part of that cause has been the high cost of worthy and useful metal detectors. I felt they had been pricing themselves out of business, at least in the USA, with a crazy race to charge big bucks, then not paying much attention to the quality and performance of the products they were pushing out in the so-called "entry level" market.

I have no clue what the final price will be for Minelab's Vanquish, whenever it gets released, or what it will offer, but it appears they are aiming at that market. However, we know the price and now the looks and features of the Nokta / Makro Simplex+. I understand why they marketed it with an 11" DD for those avid plowed-field hunters in other lands, but in the USA market, as well as Canada and many other locations, a smaller-size search coil is a 'must have.' Ideal would be something like their open-frame 7" Concentric coil, and also needed would be a round 5" DD coil for trashier places.

If not standard, which I wished for, having the 5" and 7" coils as accessories would be terrific, and with one or two accessory coils this new Simplex+ looks to be an excellent model to own and use. Might even make a regular-use model for a newcomer, too. No clue on Minelab's teaser, but the new Simplex+ is, without a doubt, going to put a major hurt on all those $500 and under detectors from White's and Garrett, to be sure. Makes me ponder even more how long it might be before we hear the locking of the doors in Texas and Oregon when either of those manufacturers close up shop ... for good.

Well, what are YOUR thoughts about the coming trend? Any plans to add a new detector to your current outfit? Have any insight on the mystery Vanquish? What do you think the US detector makers are going to do within the next 6 to 12 months?

Curious.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

New model introduction videos. Makes you wonder.thinking

Monte 222 August 03, 2019 07:14AM

I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

Hombre 111 August 03, 2019 12:24PM

Re: I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

D&P-OR 124 August 03, 2019 01:11PM

Re: I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

jmaryt 107 August 03, 2019 12:51PM

Reply to J.T.

Hombre 103 August 03, 2019 02:02PM

Re: Reply to J.T.

jmaryt 98 August 03, 2019 07:10PM

D&P-OR 94 August 03, 2019 07:33PM

jmaryt 92 August 04, 2019 12:21AM

The Mojave was the best of the non-static, "turn-on-and-go" Tesoro's they ever made. N/T

Monte 75 August 03, 2019 06:46PM

Re: New model introduction videos. Makes you wonder.thinking

jmaryt 93 August 03, 2019 09:30AM

When you're spiralling the wrong direction, in a business with a limited market for ...

Monte 116 August 03, 2019 09:58PM

If You were a new guy to the hobby.........

Kraemer 128 August 03, 2019 11:41AM

Re: If You were a new guy to the hobby.........

D&P-OR 103 August 03, 2019 01:09PM

Bottom? They've served as a door mat for me for a long, long time now.

Monte 89 August 03, 2019 10:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018