Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When you're spiralling the wrong direction, in a business with a limited market for ...

August 03, 2019 09:58PM avatar
.. a top-end design engineer, skilled in modern digital-designed circuitry for metal detectors, you're not very likely to attract a very knowledgeable, skilled candidate and be able to pay them what they are worth. In short, and it's just my opinion here, but I think White's is a bit too late. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Garrett has had some rough ups and downs in the hobby-end market through the years, and since we haven't seen any real progressive design enter the market, I'm beginning to doubt they are still in the race. The biggest thing they have going for them today, as they have since very early in the company's career, is they have been one of the all-around best when it comes to marketing.

They weren't marketing the best product made, instead they have marketed their name above all else, and there was a time when name promotion and name recognition was very important. It's still important, but today there are more major manufacturers who also have smart marketing folks, and we don't have all the avenues Garrett used to rely on, such as 5 to 6 big magazine publications, and the volume of 'local' dealers, many who were stocking dealers and they were also active in local clubs and did a lot to promote the product. Looking back, and I was once a Garrett Dealer during the prime time of growth, Garrett promoted an 'image' more than simply a product.

They don't have those marketing sources today, and they are way behind on a competitive product, too. It's only a matter of time without a good engineer on-hand now, and very few shopping for a job to design a metal detector.

This thread was started with a discussion about new products just being announced and hinted about that look very impressive and are supported my a manufacturer who currently HAS current, modern, performance-setting models in production at reasonable prices. White's, Garrett, and most other detector makers have nothing available to compete with the coming Nokta / Makro Simplex +, or possibly the Minelab Vanquish, and I can't imagine how they could piece something together that could compete at the new MSRP.

Times are changing and I do have a select few USA assembled detectors in my personal arsenal that I really like, and they work fine for a lot of casual, every-day urban Coin Hunting, like the F44, Omega 8000 and XLT. But none of them come close to rivaling the solid performance behavior of the CoRe, Relic and ORX in really tough, iron-challenged environments.

Want a simple translation of what I just hinted to? That's Simple: My best all-purposed performance detectors, that are all solidly built and provide exceptional in-the-field performance, especially for working older sites to find the partially masked keepers in ferrous debris, are all foreign-made devices. Foreign, that is, to the USA and Canada.

Just some evening thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

New model introduction videos. Makes you wonder.thinking

Monte 221 August 03, 2019 07:14AM

I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

Hombre 110 August 03, 2019 12:24PM

Re: I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

D&P-OR 124 August 03, 2019 01:11PM

Re: I really don't need a new metal detectorwinking smiley

jmaryt 106 August 03, 2019 12:51PM

Reply to J.T.

Hombre 102 August 03, 2019 02:02PM

Re: Reply to J.T.

jmaryt 98 August 03, 2019 07:10PM

D&P-OR 94 August 03, 2019 07:33PM

jmaryt 92 August 04, 2019 12:21AM

The Mojave was the best of the non-static, "turn-on-and-go" Tesoro's they ever made. N/T

Monte 74 August 03, 2019 06:46PM

Re: New model introduction videos. Makes you wonder.thinking

jmaryt 93 August 03, 2019 09:30AM

When you're spiralling the wrong direction, in a business with a limited market for ...

Monte 114 August 03, 2019 09:58PM

If You were a new guy to the hobby.........

Kraemer 128 August 03, 2019 11:41AM

Re: If You were a new guy to the hobby.........

D&P-OR 103 August 03, 2019 01:09PM

Bottom? They've served as a door mat for me for a long, long time now.

Monte 89 August 03, 2019 10:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018