Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frustrations from 'events' in 1962, 1965 and 1975.

August 05, 2019 10:41AM avatar
I can think of 'events' that occurred in each of those years, and many more, that later brought me some rewards when metal detecting those places. I'd like to reflect back to other 'events' to revisit with the modern and better detectors we have to enjoy today. But I'm not talking about happenings that can bring a smile to our faces.

No, instead I am talking about 'events' in the wonderful world of product development. Developments that can please most folks who don't enjoy metal detecting, but can at times bring frustrating moments to those of us who get out in search of lost and discarded metal targets. While cleaning and sorting the coins I found last month, it struck me that a week ago, when I made a day-long trip to 7 different smaller-size towns to put in some tot-lot and playground hunts, I encountered very few 'Tabs.' Very few!

The earliest 'tab' that was found on a beer and soda can was introduced in 1962. That's the 'event' I am referring to. Up to that point, we used to reach for the 'church key' to pop a couple of holes in the can. Those early 'Pull-Tabs' had a flattish, elongated metal 'tab' that we had to grip to pull the top opening off the can. They worked, but not very handily. Some people had a difficult time gripping the piece, and sometimes they broke from the removable piece making us wish we still had a church key around.

It didn't take long for an improved idea to come along, and you can click on this for a commercial that shows us the 'new' invention that came out in 1965:
'The Ring-Pull Tab'

Much easier for most people to grip ... rip off the can ..... then toss away!angry smiley

For just a few short years in the early '70s, '72ish or so, we had the beverage cans with the two round push-holes that worked, kind of. Some people couldn't push them open easily, and quite a few folks ended up with cut fingers. Especially smaller kids who stuck there fingers in the sharp-edged holes.

Although some Ring-Pulls have hung around a while longer, it took ten years before we got the next bright idea after the Ring-Pull Tabs. That came in 1975 when someone got the nifty idea of making a Pry-Tab that was/is supposed to remain on the can. They named them 'Stay-Tabs, but those using metal detectors are well aware that a whole bunch of them don't 'Stay' in place for long after a can is opened. They, too, get discarded just like the earlier Ring-Pull Tabs, or at least a good-sized portion of them are.

Typically we are gong to find any of these, be them a 'Pull-Tab' or 'Pry-Tab', close to regular urban activity sites, such as where folks party, picnic, or recreate. What struck me as I was sorting and counting coins during the night and think of last Monday's travels, I worked 8 different tot-lot/playground locations in 7 different towns here in Oregon. I found NO 'Tabs' at Boardman, Heppner or Ione, and only 1 or 2 tabs in each of the areas I searched in Hermiston, La Grande, Stanfield and Pendleton. Those 4 towns only gave up a total of 6 tabs. And, in-order, those four kicked out 79, 41, 41 and 28 coins each. And Pendleton, that had just 28 coins, was one that also had 2 of the tabs.

I plan to hit the road again this week and make another Coin Hunting journey for a day, or maybe even two or three days, and I can only hope I have the same good fortune to not have to deal with an abundance of those blasted pull or pry tabs.

I also wish the best to anyone else who ventures out to popular-use locations that you can also avoid those pesky discards.

Monte

PS: Just a quick comment that even though I started detecting in March of '65, I didn't encounter my first Ring-Pull Tab while out detecting until the summer of 1972. It was hot and I'd been detecting for about 5 hours, so I laid down in the shade of a big tree at a park in Ogden, Utah. I was on my back to help my back feel better, with my hands back behind my head and I was looking at the mountains. Ten minutes later I figured I'd get up and back to finding stuff, and as I pulled my hands out from behind my head, my left wrist and back of my left hand were sliced open when I 'found' my first Ring-Pull Tab. ... I didn't like them that day, and I still don't forty-seven years later.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Frustrations from 'events' in 1962, 1965 and 1975.

Monte 241 August 05, 2019 10:41AM

Don't forget about 1983 ! angry smiley N/T

UtahRich 79 August 13, 2019 07:18PM

Re: Don't forget about 1983 ! angry smiley

D&P-OR 98 August 14, 2019 04:47AM

Don't forget about 1983! angry smiley

UtahRich 92 August 18, 2019 05:08PM

Re: Don't forget about 1983! angry smiley

D&P-OR 68 August 19, 2019 03:35AM

1983? What happened that I missed that year?

Monte 98 August 14, 2019 12:28AM

If you aren't finding pull tabs, you might as well go homesmiling bouncing smiley

Hombre 139 August 05, 2019 03:50PM

Re: If you aren't finding pull tabs, you might as well go homesmiling bouncing smiley

Remfire 114 August 05, 2019 11:26PM

Re: If you aren't finding pull tabs, you might as well go homesmiling bouncing smiley

Sodbuster 88 August 12, 2019 06:29PM

D&P-OR 107 August 06, 2019 04:23AM

Gottcha! thumbs up N/T

Monte 104 August 05, 2019 04:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018