Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'll pull out in about five hours to use two 'Foreigners' and one 'USA' favorite.

August 30, 2019 11:57PM avatar
Sodbuster
Only "foreigner" that I have is the Minelab EQ800.
I still haven't borrowed one to hunt with for a few hours with the 6" DD coil to get a feel for liking it or not. At first a lot of folks were nearly praising them, like they do many new model releases, but it seems to have cooled down to about a 50/50 split on the Equinox. Just the good ol' "Like it or Don't like it." category these days.

The only 'foreign' brands I have for regular use are my Nokta CoRe & Relic and an XP ORX. I have seven units that travel in my vehicle, but the two foreign detectors I'll use today (actually tomorrow, on Saturday) will likely be my CoRe w/'OOR' DD primarily, and ORX in some cleaner areas on the fringe w/5X9½ HF DD. The USA model that will get worked the most is the Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric.

Sodbuster
I have both the 11" and 6" coils and most often use the 11" because it is a great overall coil and sweeps a lot of ground. ... 6" is not quite as deep, separates better and has less EMI issues.
Minelab didn't seem to go out-of-their-way making a big selection of search coils, at least from what I've seen. The only coil that interests me is the 6" DD because I need to keep things lighter-weight, and the places I spend most of my search time are terribly trashy. Very, and with an abundant supply of ferrous debris to deal with. Standard-to-larger size coils just don't work well for me.

Sodbuster
Also have a few USA made machines, but right now mostly using the Aussie.
I used to own and use several Sovereigns and Explorer series models, but back in 2012, when the Minelab Reps. told Dealers at a Minelab seminar that they were going to be making all their detectors in Malaysia, I lost a lot of interest in their product. At least questioned the build quality and repair service after the-sale.

Sodbuster
Hoping for a new Fisher land machine that goes deep and has a fast recovery multi-freq. mode. hope..... hope...... confused smiley
First Texas already have very fast response and recovery models, as long as they are not also trying to handle nearby iron junk. The T2 series, for example, are some of the quickest-response models offered today. However .... they do well on adjacent accepted non-ferrous targets, but don't do so well in a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous Discriminated targets like we generally encounter at terrible sites.

That said, I don't hold out any hope of seeing anything really inspiring coming out of either Garrett or White's, and I feel the only hope for continued improvement and some innovation in packaging an electronic design is going to come from the folks at FTP.

Sodbuster
Tesoro's; White's; & Fisher's are mostly sitting around collecting dust.
.... And I don't leave batteries in them unless the batteries are Eneloops. grinning smiley
I caught the rib-poke about me keeping batteries in all my detectors full-time,winking smiley but that's just a habit I developed back in '711 and it's kind of hung around. I use them all often enough so it doesn't bother me. I have ample alkaline batteries, too, and am well supplied, but I do have one or two chargers and 16 AA Eneloops on hand. I got them abut a year ago and have only used them once. I probably ought to just sell them.

I hope you can get some detecting time in this weekend, and I wish you all the best of success.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Do you have a favorite 'foreigner' when it comes to detector selection?

Monte 232 August 18, 2019 06:02PM

Re: Do you have a favorite 'foreigner' when it comes to detector selection?

Sodbuster 101 August 30, 2019 04:29PM

I'll pull out in about five hours to use two 'Foreigners' and one 'USA' favorite.

Monte 127 August 30, 2019 11:57PM

Re: Eneloops Attachments

Sodbuster 92 August 31, 2019 01:52PM

I hear what you're saying about rechargeables.

Monte 81 September 01, 2019 08:30AM

Favorite 'foreigner? Maybe "Cold As Ice"

UtahRich 127 August 19, 2019 10:41PM

dixiedigger57 92 August 19, 2019 07:12PM

GeoW 99 August 19, 2019 09:11PM

jmaryt 101 August 19, 2019 10:09PM

OregonGregg 109 August 20, 2019 02:56PM

I have only one foreign made metal detector and that is.....

Hombre 161 August 19, 2019 09:18AM

Randy----We sent you & Sandy an email.-------Del & Patsy N/T

D&P-OR 66 August 23, 2019 07:45PM

Del,,,received your email and replied back N/T

Hombre 58 August 24, 2019 09:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018