Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I hear what you're saying about rechargeables.

September 01, 2019 08:30AM avatar
Especially the better ones like Eneloops. The better quality rechargeable batteries today work better and last longer than those older NiCad batteries we once had. Their run-time wasn't as good as quality Alkaline batteries and that's one reason I didn't like the earlier offerings we had. Add to that the fact that I I use a LOT of AA battery powered devices. I once listed not only the metal detectors I have in my den or loaded ion my vehicle, but also the number of flashlights I have, most of which are also powered these days by AA alkaline batteries.

I can't afford to supply all my devices with Eneloops, and the time I'd spend charging and changing batteries in them all would be exhausting, too. So I buy Alkaline batteries that have proven to last long enough and work well for their cost. I started evaluating 9V and AA batteries back in the late '70s and early '80s, buying heavy Duty and Alkaline of just about any brand I came across, then run them in one to a few different models, with a long 'On-Time' just to let the sit and run until exhaustion with repeated target signals just to see how well some detectors worked as well as which brand batteries provided the best performance and value.

I have an ample supply of batteries or everything I use, and that makes me comfortable using AA alkaline batteries. I think it might be different if I had only 1 to 3 metal detectors as it would make it more reasonable to have a small supply of rechargeable batteries just for them ... but I don't. Currently, as I have been thinning out a lot of my Regular-Use and Specialty-Use Detector team, I am down to only six ... 6 ... different models. One of each travels in my vehicle almost all the time during general detecting season. I do have duplicates of the Nokta CoRe, Fisher F-44, and Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX on the wall in my den, so all ten of those models are 'at-the-ready' with Alkaline batteries.

I will be adding one more model soon, but it has a built-in Lithium battery so no need to figure it.

It's interesting that you mentioned leaking batteries. With many decades of using all the different devices that I keep AA Alkaline batteries in use, the ones that gave the worst performance and shortest operational times of a well known brand were the Ray-O-Vac. They also had more leakage issues over a prolonged time in the device, and the second noted brand was Energizer. Those, however, in all this time have only leaked on two occasions, and one was when they were already in a detector I bought from someone and I have no clue how long they had been used.

I got the 8 or 16 Eneloops and two 4-cell chargers late last year and only used them one in a detector I got at the same time to evaluate for someone. I know they are some of the best, but I have several hundred AA Alkalines in my emergency battery & Flashlight Tote and doubt I will ever use them. I'll probably just sell the batteries and charges when I list several detectors to also sell. I'm sure someone who is devoted to using them and not as super-supplied with AA battery devices as I am will find them of value.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Do you have a favorite 'foreigner' when it comes to detector selection?

Monte 232 August 18, 2019 06:02PM

Re: Do you have a favorite 'foreigner' when it comes to detector selection?

Sodbuster 101 August 30, 2019 04:29PM

I'll pull out in about five hours to use two 'Foreigners' and one 'USA' favorite.

Monte 128 August 30, 2019 11:57PM

Re: Eneloops Attachments

Sodbuster 92 August 31, 2019 01:52PM

I hear what you're saying about rechargeables.

Monte 81 September 01, 2019 08:30AM

Favorite 'foreigner? Maybe "Cold As Ice"

UtahRich 127 August 19, 2019 10:41PM

dixiedigger57 92 August 19, 2019 07:12PM

GeoW 99 August 19, 2019 09:11PM

jmaryt 101 August 19, 2019 10:09PM

OregonGregg 109 August 20, 2019 02:56PM

I have only one foreign made metal detector and that is.....

Hombre 161 August 19, 2019 09:18AM

Randy----We sent you & Sandy an email.-------Del & Patsy N/T

D&P-OR 66 August 23, 2019 07:45PM

Del,,,received your email and replied back N/T

Hombre 59 August 24, 2019 09:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018