Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hearing is believing, and that's why I recover a target.

September 06, 2019 07:22PM avatar
We all have different hearing abilities, and that can make a lot of difference in how we adapt to different metal detectors. One make or model might be a shrilly sound or it could be more of a muffled and bass like sound. Sometimes the audio response might be too loud for us or it could have a weak and hard to hear audio.

With some makes and models some Target responses may kind of run together while others might produce a more clear and distinct sound between two or more nearby Targets. Some people might prefer a more processed audio tone well others might favor a more raw tone, and it ccould be a more saturated audio or perhaps a more modulated audio.

It's one thing to try and learn a new detector by feel and balance, by the adjustment features and whether a unit is confusing to us or not. Search coil size, type, and weight all factor into how we might like or not like a detector. But in the end, if we want to enjoy our time afield and have some success, then we need to enjoy the audio.

Just how good is what we hear to satisfy us and help us audibly pick and choose the targets we want to recover? Audio responses are perhaps the more important feature I take into consideration when I evaluate any metal detector to determine if I think it will work for me and the type of sites I hunt.

That's why I say: "Hearing is Believing" because I want to believe the audio response my detector and coil provide ME that suggests a potentially desired Target. I hunt very trashy sites, especially those with nails and other wire iron and various other ferrous and non-ferrous. I like to hear a good desired-Target response, especially when I need to hear an unmasking Target response. Not all detectors do that for me.

I definitely do not care for quite a few detectors that are on the market due to both there audio response as well as other things such as their overall design, adjustment features, ground balance capability, looks, feel and handling.

Also, there are several detectors on the market today that appeal to me for their audio response, clarity, potential depth of detection, and things such as having an excellent modulated audio. They check all those boxes favorably, however, as an overall package there are other features I may not like but most importantly, when doing side-by-side comparisons afield I just happened to prefer the performance of my favorite models because, in the end, they provide me a more believable audio response.

I just thought I'd share these thoughts because some people might like a detector but not understand why they're not totally satisfied with it. I'd be willing to bet that one good reason is that overall, the detector just does not provide a good, believable, audio response.

Have you compared your different detectors, side-by-side when afield, to determine if some show better audio quality?

I believe it could be time well spent and you may prefer different audio performance for different types of applications, such as for me, I have my three preferred models assigned for Relic Hunting very dense debris sites that are not matched by the audio performance of my Coin Hunting models or even several newer models the past several years I have compared against them.

I hope you're satisfied with your choices of detectors in your outfit to satisfy your needs. And with that said, I wish you the best of success on your next jaunt a afield.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Hearing is believing, and that's why I recover a target.

Monte 165 September 06, 2019 07:22PM

Re: Hearing is believing, and that's why I recover a target.

WM6 72 September 10, 2019 03:12PM

That's why I would be lost without my Uni Probe headphonesthumbs up

Hombre 109 September 06, 2019 08:57PM

Re: That's why I would be lost without my Uni Probe headphonesthumbs up

WM6 60 September 10, 2019 03:16PM

WM6 , just called Big Boy hobbies about the UniProbe headphones...

Hombre 62 September 11, 2019 12:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018