Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"... what is needed most is time and experience in the field "

September 20, 2019 12:45AM avatar
Oh, how very true, Rich!thumbs up

UtahRich
If I'm reading correctly, you already have some excellent equipment. If you believe the equipment you have is appropriate to the type of hunting you like to do, then your simple task is to get as proficient as possible with the equipment you already have. Be the expert that others come to with questions.

One can waste a lot of time and $$ looking over the fence at what everybody else is using, second guessing themselves when what is needed most is time and experience in the field with what they already have.

Best of luck in the field.

Rich -

I guess, when reflecting back, I "looked over the fence" a lot because I have owned and operated many detectors than came along. Most of the time, however, I was just wondering what they offered, how they worked, to know what was happening in the detector market and confirm that what I currently owned and used was fully satisfactory in performance and design for my wants and needs. And generally, they really were.smiling smiley

Most Hobbyists got in this sport for average Coin Hunting in typical city sites, and, sadly, most have only taken their detector out once a week or once every few weeks after their initial get-to-try-it period of a few days. From being a Dealer most of the time from '77 thru '13, and doing full-day Seminars since '81, or just following the comments I've reads or heard in a friendly discussion, the bulk of those with one or more detectors are still in the 'Hobbyist' category and haven't really learned the controls and capabilities of the detectors they own, nor how to adjust the settings and select a coil for their needs to really understand it/them very well.

I'm always learning anytime I handle any detector for any reason, anywhere .. just as most folks should. Those of us in the 'Avid Detectorist' category, like you and others who get out as often as possible and put in some 'learning-time' and not just 'detecting time.' We are the ones who will have a better command of our equipment and understanding of general market trends. We are usually able to pick out the strengths and weaknesses of different detectors that we use or have handled, and that leaves us with the knowledge to be helpful when others have a question or two.

Summer is over! Fall weather has arrived, bringing us a bit of needed rain, but today and Saturday should get to around 70° and 72° under mostly sunny skies.cool smiley Probably work some place more local today, and Saturday we'll introduce Dan'o to the wonderful world of a gold mining era ferrous trash challenge at Switchback or Lonesome Arch. Obviously he's ready to put in time and gain a wee bit of experience.

I think I'm going to head out in six hours to start the day putting in time and getting more experience myself..grinning smiley

I'll get the hang of how-to-find good stuff pretty soon using each detector in my Outfit.eye rolling smiley

Best of success to you and every reader ... with whatever make and model you happen to grab.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Seems like.....

Albert 130 September 17, 2019 07:49AM

Looking over the fence. . . . . .

UtahRich 56 September 19, 2019 10:17PM

"... what is needed most is time and experience in the field "

Monte 47 September 20, 2019 12:45AM

The WOW factor, the WHIZ-BANG marketing, and what WORKS.

Monte 65 September 19, 2019 11:07AM

Re: Seems like.....

jmaryt 82 September 17, 2019 10:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018