Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How about four questions and THEN an answer.

September 27, 2019 07:54AM avatar
Quote
Utah1971
Monte I had a detecting friend invite me to hunt a site he has permission for but all of the good targets are quite deep, his best find soo far is a1907 barber quarter that he recovered at 8” deep.
Q: That type of a site?

Q; By your friend's description they were all "quite deep", and what depths did he refer to?

Q: What detector(s) and search coil(s) was he using?

Q: What to you think would have caused them to be positioned that deep?


Quote
Utah1971
My question is how best to set up the deep mode on the MMK, I’ve never used it and to be honest most all of the places I hunt targets aren’t that deep. Any help will be very much appreciated.
Eric
Well, to also be honest, most of the places I have found targets, be it Coin Hunting since '65 or seriously Relic Hunting older sites occasionally since '69 but most deliberately by choice since '83, desired targets are not all that deep. My favorite ghost town of 'Twin Flats' produced hundreds of old coins, filling four binders and then some, and only 2 coins were in the 8"-11" range, and no more than 4 or 5 others were in the over 4" to 7" range. I can account for why any of those were relocated deeper than 4", too.

The bulk of them, actually, were surface to 2", like about 75% of them, and the other 25% were from 2" to 4" and, again, I can associate reasons for most of those being a little deeper. Unless there has been some plowing, tilling or other uncommon ground disturbance, coins and desirables are seldom going to be located very deep.

But, we can acknowledge that at times and places they might be, and that's when I also use the 'Deep' mode, sometimes called a 'Boost' mode, on some detectors. In my Detector Outfit the 'Deep' mode is found on my Teknetics T2+ and Nokta / Makro FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Anfibio Multi. You will use the Deep mode just like any other search mode with the exception of sweep speed. Discrimination setting is also helpful, as well as knowing the search side is not heavily littered, especially with ferrous targets.

'DEEP' is a modulated audio, VCO enhanced, 2-Tone search mode that calls for a slower sweep speed to best handle the effects of the mineralized ground signal. You can benefit by using the least amount of Discrimination you can tolerate with a methodical slower-motion sweep speed. This will also allow for better signal processing from a deeper-located metal object to provide improved depth of detection. The site would not be littered as shallower targets will cause good-target masking.

Just avoid a faster-motion sweep speed, and forget about using 'DEEP' if a site is more littered. 'DEEP' can be useful when searching a potential Cache site or just going after larger-size targets with a standard to larger-size search coil, but I mainly use 'DEEP' when in a favorable environment when searching with a smaller 5" to mid-size coils. Something like a 7" Concentric to 5X9½ elliptical DD where, in good areas, might enhance my signals from moderately deeper targets.

Monte

PS: No color-enhancing tape needed.winking smiley

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Question for Monte

Utah1971 210 September 26, 2019 12:49PM

Re: Question for Monte

Kickindirt 105 September 28, 2019 12:58PM

I agree with performance of Anfibio Multi w/round 11" DD. N/T

Monte 63 September 30, 2019 05:50AM

Re: Question for Monte

Utah1971 75 September 28, 2019 07:25PM

Eric, I sent you a PM. N/T

Monte 39 October 01, 2019 06:42AM

Re: Question for Monte

Kickindirt 73 September 28, 2019 09:33PM

How about four questions and THEN an answer.

Monte 114 September 27, 2019 07:54AM

agree with slow down

dixiedigger57 66 October 01, 2019 08:19AM

A lot of good points you made.thumbs up

Monte 63 October 01, 2019 01:44PM

Re: How about four questions and THEN an answer.

Utah1971 86 September 28, 2019 11:03AM

Eric .. Two busy days and I'm back with a reply.

Monte 76 September 30, 2019 01:29AM

Hey Eric...i can bring the V3i and show you how i do it:-) N/T

zincoln 85 September 26, 2019 08:36PM

Re: Hey Eric...i can bring the V3i and show you how i do it:-)

Utah1971 99 September 27, 2019 06:13AM



Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018