Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A lot of good points you made.thumbs up

October 01, 2019 01:44PM avatar
dixiedigger57
i have been pounding a closed lake park picnic area for years. with surgeries and time change looming, i only had a 45 minute window to hunt yesterday after work.. take advantage of it. going to be layed up soon and time change stinks for me.
I can sure relate to surgeries bringing about frustrating down-times, and I can feel the burden of the looming time change as well. Like you, we need to take advantage of any hunt-time opportunity that comes along.

I trust all will go well and your 'down time' from surgery and mending will go smoothly and you'll be back in the game soon.smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

dixiedigger57
i have a smaller area i know every bush hog skinned root in, where i have been gleaning silver coins lately with the AT PRO. i have been changing coils and trying all the settings, including the dreaded bell tones in standard mode last nite. i have hearing issues and do not prefer the bell tones.
I have a couple of favorite sites like that, such as my all-time favorite ghost town, where I have spent so much time I know its layout well.

I often change coils on a detector to find the one, or possibly two, search coils that are going to work the best for me on that particular model. Then I have an assortment of favorite detectors in my Outfit that keep the most-used coil mounted virtually 'full-time.' As for the AT Pro, it is a good detector and while, not one of my personal favorites, I know and appreciate what they can do.

Hearing? I'm deaf, the medical folks tell me, but even if I wasn't there is one factor I always consider when evaluating detectors to keep in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit and AUDIO is one of them. With the AT Pro, even though I'd only use the Pro mode and not Standard, I agree that the high-conductor coins in the Standard Mode are totally irritating to me. One reason the AT Pro didn't make the cut when I evaluated it after it's release.

dixiedigger57
first thing a silver Rosie. well that aint nothing.. except why have i missed it dozens of times? big factory coil, not my trusty 5x8, different settings and mode. it was measured to the length of half the Whites TRX pinpointer in depth. but sweep speed and wide open setting found it.
Why do we miss good targets? Simply because we didn't put the search coil directly over them, that's the main cause.

Then come the other things like you mentioned, the sweep speed used, the level of rejection, and we have to factor in the Sensitivity level as well. We did have the fast-motion 4-filter types detectors, but once we transitioned to the slow-motion / quick-response models in '82/'83, I have relied on and encouraged others to learn and use a slower-and-methodical sweep for best effectiveness.

dixiedigger57
a wheat and a few clads rusty and cruddy and to the house. again its operator..
True, it is up to the 'operator' to make everything happen the best they can ... and not be in a hurry to do so, either.

dixiedigger57
no reason except a slower sweep. no reason the smaller coil with a proper setting and knowledge of machine would not find it. this place was covered up in silt from a flood in 94. but i just missed it due to hurry up hunting. getting old slows you down, and this place is secured for me only to hunt, and has been for years now. getting older and slower has let me smell a few more roses.
thumbs up .. thumbs up .. thumbs up

I was usually a slower hunter anyway, but I have to agree that this getting old routine sure can limit your speed afoot.sad smiley Doctors gave me a cane in March of '93 to help me get around and for over a quarter-of-a-century now I can kind of thank that limitation in mobility because it added to my slower hunt-speed which has allowed me to be more deliberate and overlap better for more effective site coverage. I guess it's a plus point for aging.eye rolling smiley

dixiedigger57
i agree that coins dont just sink they get more put on top like dirt and pine needle debris in this case. in dollars and cents its cheaper for me to simply change setting and coils and slow down than buy the newest latest and greatest unit, although my appetite is wet for one, i have yet to master my versatile machine. i may not get to be old enough to do sogrinning smiley
I know there have been times I got a bit caught-up in some new release detectors and acquired them just to check them out. Some were good. Many were not.

But I appreciate the good things in life, and for that reason I have acquired some of the better detector models from 'days-gone-by' to also have in my Outfit because they work well for many uses..

I hope all goes well for you, that the shortened season that's approaching can be a restful time for you to relax, mend up well, and be prepared to get out detecting when our next favorable season returns and you have the energy to get back at it.

I also envy the fact you have a locked-up but accessible-to-you site to plan on hunting. That's always a bonus.smiling bouncing smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Question for Monte

Utah1971 205 September 26, 2019 12:49PM

Re: Question for Monte

Kickindirt 100 September 28, 2019 12:58PM

I agree with performance of Anfibio Multi w/round 11" DD. N/T

Monte 60 September 30, 2019 05:50AM

Utah1971 70 September 28, 2019 07:25PM

Eric, I sent you a PM. N/T

Monte 36 October 01, 2019 06:42AM

Kickindirt 69 September 28, 2019 09:33PM

How about four questions and THEN an answer.

Monte 111 September 27, 2019 07:54AM

agree with slow down

dixiedigger57 61 October 01, 2019 08:19AM

A lot of good points you made.thumbs up

Monte 59 October 01, 2019 01:44PM

Re: How about four questions and THEN an answer.

Utah1971 82 September 28, 2019 11:03AM

Eric .. Two busy days and I'm back with a reply.

Monte 73 September 30, 2019 01:29AM

Hey Eric...i can bring the V3i and show you how i do it:-) N/T

zincoln 82 September 26, 2019 08:36PM

Re: Hey Eric...i can bring the V3i and show you how i do it:-)

Utah1971 95 September 27, 2019 06:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018