Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is the Lesche #48

September 27, 2019 07:51PM avatar
I have a Lesche Digging Tool that I've been using for years. WW Manufacturing. Item #48. I believe you can still get them with left hand or right hand serrations.

This tool has proved itself to me over time. Heat treated for strength. Mine came with a nylon sheath that doubles up as a holder for my coin probe as well.

I always worry about the serrations on any digging tool scratching an item. I would prefer to have NO serrations, but, I frequently come across roots in the wrong place that need removal in order to continue a recovery. The single serrated edge (whether left or right handed) can take care of a root quickly and limit the number of points/edges that might scratch a coin, relic, token or piece of jewelry.

Other options? What about a Hori Hori knife? I can lean on the Lesche and it resists bending / folding under the pressure. The grip area and heel of the blade make it easy to apply 2 handed pressure to penetrate hard, compacted dirt. I also have a couple hori hori knives / diggers that work pretty well, but the lack the heel of the Lesche for applying pressure with both hands. I can only lean on the hori hori according to how tightly I can grasp the handle. The heel makes a difference. A hori hori is a lighter option and is pretty quick in the hand for recoveries in areas that are 'rootless' and the ground is soft enough to dig in easily.

Most of the WTHO's that we've been on are out in the sticks, so to speak, and I have a third option of using my Sampson shovel. I have one that is extra long so It doubles as a hiking stick and can assist in the getting up and down process. When I have the shovel, I typically leave my Lesche and coin probe in the car. It limits the amount of gear I have to carry and keeps me more snag free if I'm moving through sage brush and bushes.

The Nokta digger looks very capable. But I've not used one to know how it performs in the areas I hunt.

Rich -

EQ800
Deus
CoRe
AQ ?
Subject Author Views Posted

Lesche VS Nokta/Makro digger!! Attachments

Kickindirt 118 September 27, 2019 12:58PM

Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is the Lesche #48

UtahRich 50 September 27, 2019 07:51PM

Re: Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is a vintage Parker hori hori

Sodbuster 47 September 28, 2019 10:44AM

Preferred Diggers . . . old favorites

UtahRich 49 September 29, 2019 04:36PM

Rich, I agree with all the good things you mentioned ... except:

Monte 61 September 28, 2019 09:28AM

Re: Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is the Lesche #48

Kickindirt 45 September 27, 2019 08:42PM

Selecting a digger

UtahRich 52 September 28, 2019 02:08AM

Nokta / Makro .. thumbs up Gets my vote! N/T

Monte 61 September 27, 2019 05:54PM

I like Predator Tools Dixie Digger when I can use it and the Model 85 for every thing else made in the U.S.A. N/T

Hombre 50 September 27, 2019 07:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018