Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preferred Diggers . . . old favorites

September 29, 2019 04:36PM avatar
Sodbuster,

Some years ago after shoulder surgery I reevaluated all of my detecting 'stuff' that I carried with me in an effort to simplify and lighten things up on my shoulder / arm. Since then, I've tried to keep things easy, simple and effective.

My favorite recovery tool is actually an old bone handled, wide bladed, hunting knife that has a blade about 4 1/2"- 5" long. It cuts easily through grass, is wide enough to dig in regular old dirt and is strong. But it is a ' hunting knife' and I get worried when I'm out hunting at the parks and schools that somebody is going to respond poorly. Just trying to avoid some negative perceptions . . . . that may or may not really exist.

I purchased my first hori hori knife only about 5 years ago. I had seen them used by a few other detectorists and really liked the idea of them; small, lightweight, handy, effiecient. I still do. The first had a wooden handle. More recently, I found a second one with a 'better' grip on it, (is it really a hori hori knife if it has a hard plastic grip on it?) that is also bright orange that makes it look 'less' like a knife and more like a tool of sorts. Both are pleasant to use.

If I didn't deal with hard ground often, I would prefer my old trusty knife. It is light, handy and efficient. Second choice would be the hori hori knife, followed by the Lesche. I keep both the knife and hori hori in my recovery bag but don't use them that often.

I have used some 'digging' tools with lesser strength steel and had them bend out of shape in quick fashion. Regardless of what we use, it is good to have something to dig with that we can count on.

Rich -

EQ800
Deus
CoRe
MXT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2019 04:37PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Lesche VS Nokta/Makro digger!! Attachments

Kickindirt 110 September 27, 2019 12:58PM

Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is the Lesche #48

UtahRich 43 September 27, 2019 07:51PM

Re: Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is a vintage Parker hori hori

Sodbuster 38 September 28, 2019 10:44AM

Preferred Diggers . . . old favorites

UtahRich 41 September 29, 2019 04:36PM

Rich, I agree with all the good things you mentioned ... except:

Monte 53 September 28, 2019 09:28AM

Re: Preferred Diggers . . . . Mine is the Lesche #48

Kickindirt 37 September 27, 2019 08:42PM

Selecting a digger

UtahRich 43 September 28, 2019 02:08AM

Nokta / Makro .. thumbs up Gets my vote! N/T

Monte 52 September 27, 2019 05:54PM

I like Predator Tools Dixie Digger when I can use it and the Model 85 for every thing else made in the U.S.A. N/T

Hombre 44 September 27, 2019 07:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018