Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: a question about the SimplEX

October 07, 2019 08:14AM
thanks Monte. Steve Mello AKA downeaster later AKA Travelinman was a net friend that sadly passed away a couple years ago. we had very candid conversations on detectors. he was from Maine and when being twice a widower he moved to the Phillipines in the mission field, but his health was failing already and he did not get to hunt. he came back and he was in the hospital, in Maine. we talked by phone/ text. then a text was answered by a daughter, he passed away. somebody in the Philippines got all his units, including a fisher 1280x, since he could not bring them back at the moment he started turned bad. he could not get his VA benefits like he needed and relished the warm climate of the islands so he planned to return. . i had sent him a Cutlass II to hunt local parks with when he came back to the states being he left his meager belongs over there. . . i had earlier given him a Wildcat by Gifford of pre Tesoro. He sent me some headphones and audio booster. we were friends. penpals i guess. he taught me a lot about detecting without ever getting to meet him in person. he made it to the Atlanta airport on his flight overseas but a 20 minute layover kept him on the runway security wise, just swap planes, we were not able to meet in person. still he was a great and honest plain spoken guy. lived simple did not want a lot. his family was of little help to him sadly.

the point is Steve hunted coastal Maine in salt a lot, and used a Fisher 1280x with success. he had PATIENCE. not one of my greatest virtues most of the time. he used the old Compass, and was a fan of Tesoro and Whites. he talked me into the AT PRO after hearing how i hunted. he also had Garretts and did not have the Pro but knew people who did and understood what i needed. I think if his health had not failed he was planning on getting one. I have no need for a dedicated salt beach machine, and he sent me links to videos of lagoon hunters in Hawaii using Pros in salt. Compass was the forum i believe i met you on Monte, as well as him. his soil was mild inland and he hunted the Maine wood cellar holes. but he had success in the salt. i used an MXT beach mode twice. sand ok wet sand ehhh surf nada in water no way. but he could,he had an MXT. he used it on the beaches. and i wonder if the salinity or his sand was different. Mainly or "Mainely" as i should say, he had skills, and a knowledge of detectors. . I think its back to the old Operator saying to a big degree, use what you have to the fullest. we have murky muddy on the southern east coast. black mucky sand. the beaches, well stink, physically and literally. most of Georgia off limits national seashore, the fines are Federal take your stuff and your butt to jail. they dont play. two small islands can be hunted. . Until you get to the Florida Atlantic and even there not the pristine waters of the gulf. Steve was a patient hunter and coached me on swing, settings techniques, etc by phone. he said most would work in some salt to a degree, mainly wet sand, and some of the oldies better than others, like the TR machines. for my infrequent forays. no more than i could go, just hunt the sand. made sense. older wiser experienced. patient operator. how to use what i had and get the most out of it for the short trip.

I dearly miss Steve, wish i could have met him in person. in the here after i will. good man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2019 08:23AM by dixiedigger57.
Subject Author Views Posted

a question about the SimplEX

dixiedigger57 106 October 04, 2019 09:43AM

Some comments about the SimplEX +. -- Salt water beach hunting as well.

Monte 83 October 04, 2019 06:03PM

Kickindirt 74 October 04, 2019 11:30AM

dixiedigger57 43 October 07, 2019 08:14AM

Good story, and important points I noted.

Monte 49 October 07, 2019 12:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018