Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ending 2019 with my newly organized Detector Outfit.

October 20, 2019 09:16AM avatar
Countless times through the years, and I mean many years, I've made adjustments in my metal detecting outfit as new detectors come along and I seem to rotate threw some newer models blended with some current models and older discontinued favorites. Last year I did reasonably well as I was dealing with some physical limitations from a fall in April.

As I struggled with mobility until cervical spine surgery in August of last year, I used a lot of detectors that I had on hand, more than most people would imagine because I didn't mention them all on forums. I had 20 some odd units here at my place, to include models from most us manufacturers, all of them except Bounty Hunter, and from the popular foreign detector makers of Minelab, Nokta, Makro, the now combined Nokta / Makro, and XP.

As I put in the year of recouping after surgery I finally made their projected goal of gaining almost 80% recovery of my strength and Mobility in my right arm and shoulder. And during that year, which brought me to September and the present, I took the time to concentrate on not just detectors that provided me the performance I want for the sites I hunt, but also fit the requirement for lightweight and better balance.

I started selling off or trading off the models that were heavier for me, or awkward and poorly balanced, just to get other models to check out and evaluate. One thing I had to do, and it didn't come easy, was to sort out quite a few models that I have liked. That includes some that offer some features and performance that I appreciate, but my end goal was to find what's light and well-balanced as well providing the simplicity and performance for the detecting I'm still able to do.

To do this I had to determine a starting point by selecting one or two detectors that I could use as a guideline, and part of that was easy. For a long time now, since 1983, I have relied on one or two favorite Tesoro models for a lot of my Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting as well as taking on all types of renovation sites and a good deal of successful Relic Hunting that involves and annoying amount of iron nails and other ferrous debris.

While I could continue on with all my detecting both urban and rural using my Bandido II microMAX and Silver Saber microMAX devices, I do enjoy using models with both visual Target ID and audio Tone ID, so I had to figure where to start in model selection. That was also easy.

There are 2 detector models that I have enjoyed using, and have been quite satisfied with their performance, for 20 to 25 years. And those are the White's XLT and a modified IDX Pro. These models can be used for any type of detecting I might enjoy doing, it's also the fact that I just enjoy how they work, for my wants and needs, with a 6.5" Concentric coil.

Remember, I said most sights I hunt are heavily littered, and a lot of the high- production urban sites include tot-lots add renovation work or demolition sites that also have a lot of metal structures or debris and call for using a smaller-size coil to work those areas well with my Tesoro models that keep a 6 inch concentric coil mounted.

But what about more modern detectors than the XLT that have Target ID and Tone ID? What did I have in my current arsenal that would work well for comparing all other makes and models? Again, that was an easy decision because in early January of 2015 I got a Nokta FORS CoRe in my hands and just 24 hours later I started thinning out other detectors. In 6 months almost everything I had was gone with the exception of my two Tesoro models and an XLT.

Then a few things would come my way and be around for a little while, and I added one or two late that year and started 2016 adding two more. Those were the new Nokta Relic and Macro Racer 2. And in the three years since then I have used several newer models as well as once again acqacquiring those that I had liked to some degree from White's, Fisher and Teknetics. Then in early June of this year I got an XP ORX to evaluate because I like the Simplicity it offered over the Deus.

I use an assortment of test scenarios with any detector I evaluate. Those include my NBPT and about a half-dozen other test samples that let me see and hear just how well a detector and coil combination can tackle those challenges. Even today, the Nokta CoRe.and Relic, with their smaller coils, can still handle a few of these comparisons better than any other brand or model, and that even includes some of the newer models from that company. They come close, but not close enough to match those two models for the most challenging iron nail conditions.

I'm not always in really dense iron so I like to have units that perform well using what I consider to be a midsize coil. Those two models to cover that need are the Racer 2 width 7 inch concentric, and the XP ORX with 5 by 9 1/2 Double D F coil.

So as I conclude this year I have settled on my Regular-Use Detector Outfit as shown in my signature below. Note that other than my two favorite models from the now-defunct Tesoro Electronics, everything is foreign-made. I did take the Liberty of adding the Simplex+ to my list because it will be reaching this country soon. Also, because it has a definite usefulness, and after watching several videos of the Simplex in action over in the UK, I have been quite impressed.

It used to be the majority of detectors used around the world came from manufacturers here in the USA, and back in the 60s 70s 80s and even 90s, they still we're setting a competitive mark in the industry. Those days are pretty much gone, at least as I see it. One or two manufacturers seem to be really falling behind and I don't see them progressing much without good engineers, and better designs and marketing.

I'll cross my fingers and hope US manufacturers can step it up, but at this point I can only see FTP hanging in there. Henceforth, if you see me out detecting unless I have a favorite Tesoro or one of my specialty use models in action, you'll see me hunting wtht a model from Turkey or France in my hand. Just some explanation for those who will notice my signature on a forum post.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ending 2019 with my newly organized Detector Outfit.

Monte 168 October 20, 2019 09:16AM

Now, a RE-organized Detector Outfit to prepare for 2020.

Monte 38 November 28, 2019 08:45AM

Re: Ending 2019 with my newly organized Detector Outfit.

jmaryt 75 October 20, 2019 11:05AM

And I hope Garrett stays around

dixiedigger57 67 October 21, 2019 07:13AM

My newly purchased Garrett Pro Pointer AT . . .

UtahRich 42 October 22, 2019 12:34PM

Re: My newly purchased Garrett Pro Pointer AT . . .

D&P-OR 42 October 22, 2019 03:25PM

Re: And I hope Garrett stays around

jmaryt 45 October 21, 2019 10:33PM

My old-time 'sentimental' models still work well.

Monte 61 October 22, 2019 01:49AM

Re: My old-time 'sentimental' models still work well.

jmaryt 44 October 22, 2019 08:45PM

Detector picks, site selection, older coins, and the 'fun-factor.'

Monte 61 October 23, 2019 01:27PM

Re: Detector picks, site selection, older coins, and the 'fun-factor.'

jmaryt 50 October 24, 2019 08:00PM

1 Tesoro, 1 good smaller-size coil, No grumpy people.thumbs up N/T

Monte 35 October 25, 2019 12:10AM

There are several things needed to stay in the game in the metal detector world.

Monte 79 October 21, 2019 09:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018