Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, let me ask: Where do YOU find the better jewelry?

October 30, 2019 12:37PM avatar
I've followed some posts on various metal detecting forums, and been in touch for discussion with a number of people over the last few years, concentrating our topic to Gold & Silver Jewelry Hunting with those who have very good success. Way too many 'average' or 'typical' Coin Hunters marvel at some of the precious jewelry recoveries some folks make because they seldom find any, especially gold jewelry. And why not? Mainly because they use too much Discrimination and haven't a clue the lower-conductive gold jewelry is present, and also because they are after 'coins' and rely too heavily on an absolute 'lock-on' visual Target ID that solidly suggests a common coin.

Now, that's an easy pair of problems to explain when trying to help someone improve their success when it comes to finding good silver and gold jewelry items that cover a wide-range of conductivities. You simply explain and demonstrate why to use a much lower Discriminate setting, and also show how so many valuable jewelry items report a VDI over a larger non-coin' display area.

That left us with the other two primary topics we discussed relative to having a good success-rate when we set out to hunt jewelry, intentionally, or to find a lot more when just 'Coin Hunting.' That's what we want to do and why we call it Coin AND Jewelry Hunting. Any savvy detectorist knows what those two primary topics are, right? Yes, one is LOCATION selection, and the other is WHAT to use.

LOCATION: This includes two basic categories: Water related sites and Dry Land sites. Each of those can have their own sub-categories.

Water related usually is called Beach Hunting and can refer to hunting in or at any water-body, to include:

• Salt Water .. Usually, but not always, associated with searching a coastal beach from under water to the surf or on the wet or dry beaches.

• Freshwater .. typically these include searching in or on the beaches of lakes, reservoirs, lakes, streams or other impoundments that see some amount of recreational use to generate coin and other target loss. It can also relate to wading pools in parks with supervision and sunbathing areas around the 'splash-park' area.

Dry Land related are all of the typical sites Coin Hunters should be familiar with to includes school or recreation areas, private yards and public access areas where coins could typically be lost. From those we can select many potential locations, and this is were a more deliberate or dedicated Jewelry Hunter can also have an 'edge.'

We can't overlook one important element to success that applies to all jewelry potential sites, and that is the 'population' that resides at or nearby, and the amount and frequency of use from tourists and visitors at these places. Any place people use, go, travel, or activities they do has the potential to generate coin or jewelry loss. Some, however, tend to have better jewelry production than others. In over five decades I have managed to find a nice silver or gold jewelry item in private yards or typical grassy park or school areas. Even in the easements between sidewalks and curbs, and one or two in a ghost town or homestead type location, but those came after long dry spells when it came to quality jewelry.

In my discussions with others who dedicate ample time to chasing down nice jewelry, I shared my Top Five favorite places that have produced the most gold and silver jewelry for me year-after-year, and those are:

#1.. Without-a-doubt, living in a very populated metro area of Portland, Oregon for most of my life, Tot-Lots and other Playground activity areas have produced a lot of great jewelry recoveries! Often I would have multiple gold and/or silver jewelry days, and some with very impressive specimens in the take. The majority of the Tot-Lots in that metro region were good sized, with ample play equipment, and the bulk of them had really nice, deep and loose wood-chip material.thumbs up That helped! And there are many, many parks and school sites that offer-up a lot of potential.

I moved from the big population in late 2013, but in the 40 years span, from '73 to '13 when I lived around there the bulk of that time, I would guess that about 75% of the favorable jewelry finds I made came from Tot-Lots and Playgrounds.

#2.. Sports Fields and their sideline/spectator areas were easily the second most productive places I hunted, and they used to produce a lot more good items in the '80s and '90s than since then, but still the next-best place for me to get jewelry. The better sports fields were football, soccer and baseball/softball fields. Of those, softball and soccer fields generated the most good jewelry, and the bigger percentage of it was women's jewelry attire.

#3.. Dirt and grassy areas associated with Public Transportation Stops, to include bus stops and at, or close to, the railway transit sites. Again, I am relating this to the Portland Oregon metro area where I include both the immediate pick-up and drop-off sites,as well as the nearby mini-mart type stores. Back in the '80s and early '90s I'd take a long-distance, cross-town ride on the MAX (the transit name in Portland area) using my notebook to log the main stops it made and amount of use, where many people stood or lingered a while, and where they hung out around the convenience stores to include where the phone booths were located.

Remember, that was back in the day before every man, woman and child came with a cell phone attached, and the pay phones drew a lot of activity. Trash? Of course, but I'd drive around and make stops at those locations very early, very late, or on a weekend and there were a lot of coins to be found, and some good jewelry also got lost in those locations now and then, too.

Oh, I was also scoring a lot of the Sacajawea and then Presidential $1 Coins because those were given in the change when you bought your MAX Pass in the machines with currency at all the main stops! grinning smiley Added to my regular Coin Hunting take when I worked several of those transit areas while out making my 'Bark-Chip Marathon' runs hitting a series of high-use Tot-Lots.

#4...Sometimes my 'land hunting' took me out of town when late May to July rolled around and I managed to pluck good jewelry from the Ski Slopes and around the edges of the parking lots or out to the reaches of the snow throwers. There were only two and occasionally a third ski slope or tubing hill I'd hunt, but they made a nice break from the bustling city and offered a change in search environment. (Note: Those were mainly in the late '70s to the mid-'90s when I was still mobile enough to take on the rough terrain and especially the slopes.)

#5.. Fresh Water beaches at a few major river areas and a couple of lakes that had some decent activity. I don't swim and am not a big beach-going guy, but for detecting I do make exceptions.

From year-to-year, the Number 2, 3, 4 and 5 groups of sites might switch around a little when I consider their production for the year, but never, and I mean never has my #1 source of quality gold and silver jewelry lost its standing.thumbs up

Others I have spoken with in different past of the country had some different sources that produced well for them, and that was interesting to learn. Those are some of my favorite LOCATIONS to hunt and anticipate some nice jewelry recoveries.

WHAT to USE: One question we had when we spoke was WHAT did we use most of the time for gold sand silver rings, chains, pendants, and other keepers? For me, that's an easier one to answer.

During the '70s and until July of '83, the bulk of my coins and jewelry, in urban or rural sites, came my way with a TR-Disc. or VLF/TR-Disc. detector. The bulk of that time I was using a 7" to 7½" coil and models that operated at 15 kHz with a favorite at 50 kHz, especially '77 through to the summer of '83.

Since that time, 36 years ago, the majority of everything I found was with a slow-motion / quick-response Tesoro, using a 7" or 6" Concentric coil, and operating at 10 kHz or 12 kHz. Yes, I found a good share with one of four favorite models from White's that worked at 6.59 kHz, and a few units from other makers that used 15 kHz and a 7' Concentric coil. This decade a Fisher or Teknetics operating at 7.69 kHz to 7.8 kHz with a 5" DD or 7" or 8" coil. In this past nearly 5 years I've recovered some with a Nokta or Makro model working at 14 kHz to 19 kHz, especially the 14 kHz Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil.

But when I was able to get out and about far more often, and lived in the more populated high-production metro area, I would say 98% of all the coins I found and good jewelry I found was when I had a favorite Tesoro model in-hand with 7" concentric coil, until the 6" was available, and they work at 10 kHz to 12 kHz. In the coming year I'll be using a new Simplex w/11" DD that operates at 12 kHz along with my other current-use favorites.

Now, how about sharing with readers some of YOUR favorite locations to find silver and gold jewelry? What you have used that works the best for you at those places. How long have you been at it and do you concentrate any hunting efforts specifically for good jewelry finds?

Monte

I'm done ... Now it's your turn.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

So, let me ask: Where do YOU find the better jewelry?

Monte 59 October 30, 2019 12:37PM

Re: So, let me ask: Where do YOU find the better jewelry?

Sodbuster 29 October 31, 2019 01:11PM

Less gold jewelry than there used to be.

Monte 29 October 31, 2019 04:07PM

RickUK 39 October 31, 2019 03:52AM

WM6 38 October 30, 2019 07:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018