Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: So, let me ask: Where do YOU find the better jewelry?

October 31, 2019 03:52AM
Hunting for jewellery is not one of my main things and i guess the main reason being is that traditionally for us folk here in the UK beach detecting is the main prime hunting ground for jewellery,but alas i live right in the middle of the country so its very rare that i do head towards the beach.

My main area that i detect is a local river crossing 'ford' that goes back over a 1000 years so has had alot of foot traffic over the years,a new 'hump back' bridge was put next door to the ford maybe 200 years ago.But as this river is pretty shallow even when heavy rainfall has occurred its a haven for mums and kids during the summer months,mum take the kids down for a paddle and with a fishing net and of course when mums fingers get wet and cold then that is when usually the prized family ring drops into the river/stream and in theory never to be seen again.These rings that the young mum have on and just lost are usually family rings that have been handed down the family and have a usually a high grade lump of ice set in high quality gold as well.

Over the years i have recovered and handed back some nice finger rings and also some that had been lost possibly upto a 100 years or so ago and with no marks its basically impossible to find out who lost it,so i have kept them and not alot else i can do too find the owner.As the river is usually only about 12'' deep during the summer and i cannot get on my fields as the crops are growing i then put a full set of waders on and use a few VLF machines and alsoa Pulse ie TDI Pro with a small folded mono coil and setup for silver/gold and knock out iron which its pretty good at and then hunt with a small scoop,the 2 main detectors i use are the T2 small 5'' coil and a Tesoro Compadre with a 4'' coil and the control box hung around my neck,occasionally i use my modified Musky with the small coil on and that also is a great detector for shallow river detecting......the Musky and Comapdre can be bought for peanuts these days and because of the low cost if they ever took a dive into the river then i would not looses sleep over.

So for me its mainly fresh water 'ford' river crossings not only for silver/gold jewellery but also roman votive offerings as the throw coins etc into the water at this crossing to the water gods.But also have found some interesting items related to thefts and the contents thrown off the bridge etc,not only found with detectors but also interesting finds while magnet fishing as well.

Just located a 6'' Mono coil for my TDI Pro and that i feel could well be a deadly combination for fine gold jewellry also another pulse machine that is deadly on small gold jewellery is the Mirage pulse that is made by Sven in Canada,he makes them that are more biased towards jewellery mine has the small 5'' mono coil which will lock onto really small gold items.

That is how i occasionally hunt for gold jewellery and with the machines that i use and also a few methods which i have used over the years.

Some of the tools of the trade that i use for different site situations here in the UK.

Equinox 600,Deusx2,T2,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Mirage PI,Crossbow PI,Arado 120b,DFX and others.
Subject Author Views Posted

So, let me ask: Where do YOU find the better jewelry?

Monte 58 October 30, 2019 12:37PM

Sodbuster 28 October 31, 2019 01:11PM

Less gold jewelry than there used to be.

Monte 28 October 31, 2019 04:07PM

RickUK 37 October 31, 2019 03:52AM

WM6 37 October 30, 2019 07:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018