Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking back and planning ahead. How to use winter down-time.thinking

December 01, 2019 02:40AM avatar
I have one or more detectors in-hand and turned on at least 5 out of 7 days, and often every day. It might be off to do some detecting at a variety of sites, or perhaps out in my yard to do some testing in the garden. Or ,it just might be indoors when I am checking different modes, settings and target responses on the floor or in an air test. I am either finding something, learning something, or both.

I have an assortment of test samples in my Seminar Tote that I have been using for years, and I also like to use a 'Test Scenario' sample that duplicates some in-the-field encounter that was challenging, and therefore makes a good 'test' to compare detector performance with other models, or just how well they perform with different search coils. As most know, one of my regular samples is using my Nail Board Performance Test.

Twenty-five years ago is when I was ghost town hunting in southern Utah and came upon a dense scattering of nails where an old school once stood. There before me, on the surface and in plain sight, was an Indian Head Cent surrounded by four rusting nails of different sizes and in a naturally scattered orientation around the coin. This presented me with a natural encounter that would be great to evaluate a detector / coil for performance in handling dense iron in a close relationship to cause good-target masking. I had my notebook as I was evaluating a newer detector at the time, so I placed a piece of paper over the target pieces to get an exact orientation, then picked up the nails and Indian Head Cent and made an exact duplicate on a thin board and dubbed it my Nail Board Performance Test.

It continues to serve me well in evaluating performance for target response and recovery, and I use either an Indian Head Cent or modern Zinc Cent which are of similar size and conductivity. I also use several other 'Test Samples' I have found to help me in my evaluations of detectors, and there're always things we can do to learn more about settings or performance. That's something I often do at the end of the year when miserable weather keeps me indoors for a spell. I grab a notepad and think about the year gone by, the types of sites I hunted, and things that I found.

Looking back, I also try to recall any particular challenge I encountered afield that could be duplicated, then I try to do just that. Make a duplicate set-up that can be use in the future to test any make or model for performance. See what might not match the results I had, and also stay alert for any detector and coil combination that excel and out-perform what I was using when I first experienced that challenge. This keeps me on my toes as I grab any detector to do some testing, be it outdoors or here in my den.

I just thought I'd share one of the things I do during this coming wintry spell of snow and/or miserably cold weather. Have you taken the time to reflect back on challenges you have encountered? Tried to duplicate them for future use? You might give it a try, and possibly be surprised what you might learn about your own detector assortment and how to get better results in some tough conditions in the years ahead.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 02:41AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Looking back and planning ahead. How to use winter down-time.thinking

Monte 59 December 01, 2019 02:40AM

Re: Looking back and planning ahead. How to use winter down-time.thinking

RickUK 12 December 05, 2019 05:00AM

How to use winter down-time.thinking

UtahRich 24 December 04, 2019 04:57PM

I'm with you ... almost.

Monte 14 December 06, 2019 12:35AM

Re: How to use winter down-time.thinking

WM6 20 December 05, 2019 06:04AM

"cocoa"? What is wrong with wine?

Monte 14 December 06, 2019 12:43AM

Re: "cocoa"? What is wrong with wine?

D&P-OR 10 December 06, 2019 05:14AM

Winter down-time.thinking

UtahRich 14 December 05, 2019 01:50PM

Re: Looking back and planning ahead. How to use winter down-time.thinking

GeoW 28 December 01, 2019 10:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018