Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Detector Talk - Settings Choices and Why?

December 22, 2019 01:12AM avatar
I must be getting old.

I sat down at home Friday after a long week of work and decided I needed to clean up my Deus after my muddy outing to a construction site earlier in the week.

After rinsing and cleaning and wiping down I figured I had it all ready to tuck away until the next break in the weather. I turned on the Deus remote and started thumbing through my current settings. I found myself trying to remember where each setting is located and how it influences the operation. I was momentarily tempted to pull out my cell phone and pull up my copy of the list of settings I keep there in hopes it would jog my memory.

It occurred to me that I had literally spent years reading up on the Deus, its operation and settings Prior to my purchase in May. Yet, since my initial WTHO outing when I set up my two Ghost Town programs and some trips to a favorite ski resort that spawned its own custom program, I hadn't picked up a manual or users guide in months.

I grabbed my user guide off the shelf and did a quick thumb thru finding the exact references I was looking for. I guess this isn't unexpected as I have a few detectors that see regular use when their number is called. Each detector is quite different than the other. Each from a different manufacture and thus each with a different feel and way of doing things. Each with settings laid out in a different manner. It can be challenging to remember all the details of each.

I've tried to minimize the differences by setting up some general commonalities, like tone break points. For many years in the 90's I swung a CZ-6a and used the factory tone breaks without issue. When I switched over to a Minelab Explorer XS in 2000 I became a fan of the multi-tones and listening to the qualities of the sounds. Then in 2018 in learning my EQ800 I set up one of my park programs with 5-tones similar in nature to my old CZ to help me find good targets hiding in the junk; iron, foil, nickels, the middle stuff, and lastly, higher conductivity coins. My finds improved quickly. I'm now a fan of this arrangement for myself.

These category settings carried over to other areas I was hunting and proved successful for me as well. While I appreciate the tonal qualities of the multitone, and occasionally switch to it in target sparse areas, my 5 tones on the 800 and 4 tones on the Deus, help me hunt better and have become very comfortable to me. I made lists of the settings for each detector and saved them to my phone just in case they were needed.

But it didn't occur to me to jot down my thoughts on how I came up with each specific setting. Some I do recall very specifically, like my break points in my tones. Others . . . . . Well at least I wrote down the settings.

So here's a suggestion, if you have settings for your detector(s) for different situations, jot them down in a handy place, make a few notes. Most cells phones have a place you can make and keep some notes. If you find success with a small adjustment in a certain situation jot it down with the details. You may need to refer back to it at a later time.

Best of luck in the coming year.

Rich

π
Subject Author Views Posted

Detector Talk - Settings Choices and Why?

UtahRich 275 December 22, 2019 01:12AM

Re: Detector Talk - Settings Choices and Why? Attachments

OregonGregg 217 December 24, 2019 03:17PM

using too much detector. grinning smiley

UtahRich 195 December 26, 2019 08:31PM

Re: using too much detector. grinning smiley Attachments

OregonGregg 176 December 27, 2019 06:05AM

Sagebrush dust remover

UtahRich 171 December 27, 2019 06:54AM

Re: Sagebrush dust remover

D&P-OR 122 December 27, 2019 04:32PM

Re: using too much detector. grinning smiley

D&P-OR 115 December 27, 2019 06:14AM

Now, that gave me a Christmas morning chuckle. N/T

Monte 116 December 25, 2019 06:14AM

Settings Choices and Why? ---- Very good topics and reminders, Rich.

Monte 191 December 22, 2019 08:48AM

That settles it, I'm getting old. . . . . . . . . thinking . . . . . . . . . N/T

UtahRich 138 December 23, 2019 09:58AM

We're not gettin OLD----we're jes gettin BETTER LOOKIN!!!!!!!!!!! N/T

D&P-OR 148 December 23, 2019 10:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018