Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Good reply, but it's a shame thata Minelab couldn't

December 26, 2019 10:28AM
Monte-----You (for the most part) like small/well balanced coils on your detectors.------Here's a fact: The Equinox 6" coil (with coil cover) weighs 11.4 oz.-----The Equinox mounted with that coil (with coil cover) weighs 2 lbs. 7.4 oz.------The balance/ergonomics on this combo is superb--it swings like a "dream".----Plus the most important part--it performs VERY well in the field (especially with the new 2.0 update).-------Now with the 11" coil on board (as to ergonomics) that's a different story.-----The 11" coil (with coil cover) weighs 17.7 oz.-----The Equinox mounted with that coil (with coil cover) weighs 2 lbs. 14.8 oz.---this is according to my very accurate postal scales.------So yes, the 11" stock coil does throw the balance off (it's nose heavy) on the Equinox & a "counter balance" is beneficial.-----But that large of a coil throws the balance off on some of the detectors you like so well also.-------Anyway--you really ought to give the E-800/6" coil combo some dedicated time in the field under real hunt conditions (not just home & test bed stuff).----Give it some hunt time in the field--you may be VERY pleasantly surprised.--------Del-----
Monte
have figured out how to make a comfortable, light-weight and well balanced detector in the first place. It's been a good market for the 'after-market' folks who make components so Equinox users can enjoy their detectors better. Carbon fiber rods, counterweights .... kind of an interesting industry these days.

Due to health and impaired mobility, compounded by the fall in April of last year that messed up my right shoulder and arm, neck, and brought about the spine surgery and fusing, I just can't handle heavier detectors anymore. Like the MXT Pro I had of yours, briefly, and now I am going to be selling my choice-condition XLT package. I've trimmed a lot of detectors down to have the best behaving (performance) and balanced (lightest) units I can enjoy.

I handled an Equinox 800 when they came out for a short hunt and didn't care for the balance and feel of the unit. What I use today are all very light weight and/or well balanced devices. The Nokta CoRe and Relic are surprisingly well balanced, and I mainly use them with the smaller 5" coil or a mid-size 5X9½ DD. Also a Racer 2 w/7" Con., and the lighter units I enjoy which are my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, each with a 6" Con. and an ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil and another with the round 9" X35 coil. I do keep two units, right now, in the vehicle as my daily travel team, and those are my modified IDX Pro w/6½" Con. and Simplex + w/11" DD (until they get the smaller coils out for it). All of these are more comfortable for me than the MXT or XLT and even the EQ-800 w/standard package.

I hope you enjoy the non-rainy days you get during the winter. As much as I can't stand the 'rain belt' over on that side, I do miss it during our cabin fever months. Enjoy your detecting and enjoy what you use.

Monte
Subject Author Views Posted

Sef Vs DD for MXT Pro

Jimbola 86 December 24, 2019 06:37PM

Re: Sef Vs DD for MXT Pro

DirtDigger 60 December 25, 2019 01:11PM

I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

Monte 62 December 25, 2019 06:29PM

Re: I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

DirtDigger 51 December 25, 2019 10:23PM

Favorite Mods for Detectors ?

UtahRich 36 December 26, 2019 05:06PM

Re: Favorite Mods for Detectors ?

DirtDigger 34 December 26, 2019 06:04PM

Re: I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

DirtDigger 38 December 26, 2019 11:18AM

Weight is part of the problem along with balance, and search coils

Monte 42 December 26, 2019 12:08PM

Good reply, but it's a shame thata Minelab couldn't

Monte 50 December 26, 2019 09:43AM

Re: Good reply, but it's a shame thata Minelab couldn't

D&P-OR 37 December 26, 2019 10:28AM

Good Christmas morning ... except I can't get out to play, soo...

Monte 50 December 25, 2019 10:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018