Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite Mods for Detectors ?

December 26, 2019 04:06PM avatar
Dirtdigger,

The carbon fiber rods are very nice. Steve sure makes some nice stuff,thumbs up doesn't he? I have one of his search rods w/counterweights as well. Kinda cool to have a custom rod for my EQ and it really balances out my 800 w/the 11" coil perfectly. Too. I have the Jeff Herke arm cup with the larger base support. Much more stable when the detector is set on the ground. I've been using Herke arm cuffs since back in the early 2000's when I first purchased my Explorer XS. That one had a conversion connector for the 1/8" to 1/4" headphone jacks that came with the original Explorer's.

The Equinox factory rod is 3-piece which makes it great to take along on vacation when it has to be packed small, like for air travel. But for my general use, I like having the single piece upper. It provides additional stability and a clean visual line from the arm cuff down to the lower rod. And being carbon fiber, it has exceptional strength. I prefer 2-piece fly rods as well.

Why custom? I have a custom painted rod on my Fors CoRe as well; Catepillar Yellow. Thus, the name ole' yeller. Of course, the yellow rod doesn't serve any other purpose than to be unique and make it easy for Gregg to figure out where I am as he races around from spot to spot at the old ghost towns trying to stay ahead of me. I think that's why he suggested it. cool smiley

I do see lots of MODS for Minelab detectors for whatever reason. Lots of aftermarket mods for Sovereigns, Excaliburs, Explorers, the new Equinox, and of course all of the Minelab gold machines. Seems many like to personalize their detector(s) just a bit to just the way they like them.

Findmall has a Detector Mods page that used to be much more active than it is now. Some pretty cool mods came through there. If you get bored, go back through some of those pages and see some of the creative work that's been done by our fellow detecting enthusiasts. Some pretty amazing stuff.

Of course some mods are merely bolt on type mods. Some get into modifying electronics or switches or displays or whatever. This is where some real electronics skills are seen.

I'm sure many out there have favorite detector mods they've made over the years.

Rich -

It's YOU that makes the difference.

Deus ** Bandido ** CoRe ** 800 ** XLT **
Subject Author Views Posted

Sef Vs DD for MXT Pro

Jimbola 183 December 24, 2019 05:37PM

Re: Sef Vs DD for MXT Pro

DirtDigger 149 December 25, 2019 12:11PM

I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

Monte 145 December 25, 2019 05:29PM

Re: I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

DirtDigger 127 December 25, 2019 09:23PM

Favorite Mods for Detectors ?

UtahRich 98 December 26, 2019 04:06PM

Re: Favorite Mods for Detectors ?

DirtDigger 91 December 26, 2019 05:04PM

Re: I know you like the MXT Pro, Jim, and where you live

DirtDigger 132 December 26, 2019 10:18AM

Weight is part of the problem along with balance, and search coils

Monte 106 December 26, 2019 11:08AM

Good reply, but it's a shame thata Minelab couldn't

Monte 132 December 26, 2019 08:43AM

Re: Good reply, but it's a shame thata Minelab couldn't

D&P-OR 105 December 26, 2019 09:28AM

Good Christmas morning ... except I can't get out to play, soo...

Monte 106 December 25, 2019 09:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018