Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Each detector, any detector and every detector...

January 10, 2020 04:29AM avatar
will have some performance behavior that is comparable with other devices, but they will also most likely have some behavior or personality all their own.

UtahRich
Del,

Do you think this is unique to the equinox with the EQ11 and EQ06 coils OR all VLF's in general ?

Rich

I'm not Del, but from my experiences with detectors and coils and conversations with design engineers through the years ... those who actually get out detecting and understand why certain things do or don't happen ... we can experience similar behavior with virtually any detector made when comparing different size and type search coils. A better comparison would be to approach the test-sample set-up from different angles and also using different settings to learn more about 'why' things happen.

And remember, these are not only a VLF detector because some makes and models we're hunting with today incorporate (if Simultaneous Multi-Frequency) search modes in both the VLF and LF frequency ranges. Some detectors out there are designed as a single-frequency model, like a Makro Gold Racer, that work up in the LF range, or some selectable frequency models, like the XP ORX and Deus, that can, with the right coil, selectively operate at any of multiple VLF frequencies or one of several LF frequencies.

That video only showed one detector, probably working in SMF, using CD's settings, using 2 search coils in his set-up, and only approached and swept from one direction. It did not show any other make or model, or coils for a different make or model, or using a different frequency and settings, trying to accomplish the same, worse or better results. It also didn't show him selecting a single frequency to try, or using different settings.

So, what did I learn from that demonstration?

One very correct conclusion and that is .. No detector or coil or set-up is 'perfect.' It also confirmed what I have learned through the years about target masking and about the influence of a ferrous object on EMF's, and how ferrous and non-ferrous targets can have an effect of different sizes, relative position from portions of, and configurations of an EMF

I also know that it didn't spook me away from taking on a nail challenged site, nor did it make me want to get rid of all my smaller-size coils and only mount and use a round 11" DD. It might have made me wonder about the Minelab Equinox circuitry design, but if I pick up an Equinox, I'll also be getting a 6" DD at the same time.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex + also using Makro and Pulse-Dive Pinpointers
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX ... White's: modified IDX Pro ... XP: ORX ... Fisher: F44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' and 'Wasp' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Large versus small coils.

D&P-OR 99 January 08, 2020 05:05PM

Coil selection at WTHO's

UtahRich 26 January 12, 2020 01:53PM

Re: Large versus small coils.

tabman 33 January 10, 2020 08:16PM

Yep! Both are good coils .... for different applications. N/T

Monte 18 January 11, 2020 01:59PM

GeoW 27 January 10, 2020 07:21PM

RickUK 48 January 10, 2020 03:37AM

And there-in is the answer for each of us.thumbs up

Monte 50 January 10, 2020 03:54AM

EQUINOX OR ALL ?

UtahRich 61 January 09, 2020 06:58PM

Each detector, any detector and every detector...

Monte 48 January 10, 2020 04:29AM

Becoming a Detectorist / Staying a Detectorist eye popping smiley

UtahRich 32 January 11, 2020 12:44PM

Theoretical Postulation Attachments

OregonGregg 32 January 11, 2020 02:45PM

Theoretical Postulation - The Fors CoRe

UtahRich 22 January 11, 2020 04:28PM

I always enjoying hearing, and learning or refreshsing.

Monte 22 January 11, 2020 01:57PM

Is it Spring yet ?

UtahRich 18 January 11, 2020 02:23PM

Re: EQUINOX OR ALL ?

D&P-OR 48 January 09, 2020 09:11PM

OregonGregg 56 January 09, 2020 07:57AM

Kickindirt 53 January 09, 2020 07:14AM

Large versus small coils. - unmasking ability.

UtahRich 69 January 09, 2020 12:27AM

"It does make one think, doesn't it?" ... It sure does, and that's why - - -

Monte 46 January 10, 2020 03:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018