Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

9-Volt Battery Testing? Well, it gets interesting.

January 21, 2020 09:05AM avatar
Battery testing, that is, and I'm learning a lot about what some detectors need, what some don't allow, and how some can be rather surprising just running detector tests for Run-Time using AA Alkaline batteries.

For detectors not powered up by built-in rechargeable batteries, the majority in use these days rely on AA Alkaline batteries, and that's why they are the most in need of testing. In my case, I have several in that category here in my den right now. A Fisher F44 powered by 2-AA's, a Nokta or Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Racer 2 that each use 4-AA batteries, and my modified White's IDX Pro that gobbles up power from 8-AA batteries

Perhaps "gobble up" was a very wrong reference to use because using an assortment of detectors I am finding that a lot more depends on the particular manufacturer and how they designed their devices because some rely on more than just ample voltage. My Nokta FORS Relic is running almost 24-7 since I started because I keep rotating a different set-of-4 battery brands at a time, and the other day a guy wanted me to check out his 'Classic' green Teknetics T2, which also is powered by 4-AA alkaline batteries. That meant for a couple of days I had not only my Relic running, but squawking right along with it was my Racer 2, FORS CoRe, his Tek. T2, and my modified IDX Pro. All set on a high Sensitivity, '0' Discrimination, Audio Tone ID, if they had it, at at the loudest Volume, TID display back-light at the brightest setting, and speakers getting a lot of audio exercise.

Really, that turned out to be an 'Educational Day' at the Monte's Metal Detector Bunkhouse. After that experience, however, I've just continued using the same Relic and high-drain settings as I compare battery performance. The set draining now are at 9 Hr. 14 Min. run-time and still show only down 1 bar from 'full' on the Relic's battery display. All but one brand tested have done the same, and I usually don't see the battery meter starting to drop until after 9 Hr. and reaching a Half-Full / Half-Empty reading at ±10 Hours.

So far, batteries that I will purchase in the future for my own detector and flashlight use will be those that provide me with a Run-Time of 12 Hours or longer in the Relic, or a 'B' grade of 8 Hr. or more in MarkCZ's testing I'll explain that more when I do a write-up following the battery testing we are doing, especially as it relates to older analog detectors as well as these modern digital circuitry other units I've been using.

Also, I am going to go over my Battery Testing and catch it up by rounding of some of the numbers, and also tracking town MSRP or general retail prices and showing the different battery costs, per battery, based on the size and retail of the battery package.

9-Volt Battery Testing: No, I haven't forgotten the question. There are not that many detectors in use today among the various brands that use one or more 9-V batteries. They were needed in my detector supply back 39 to 40 years ago because my Garrett American S2 TR-Disc. was powered by 2-9V's, and my Garrett Ground-Hog VLF/TR-Disc. required 4-9V batteries. To fire-up my Garrett Deepseeker VLF/TR-Disc. I had to keep it loaded with 6-9V batteries, and just to load those three units up for a fresh start after a white wintry nap called for a total of 12 9-Volt batteries!! Sure glad we didn't have today's battery prices back then.angry smiley.

Kind of made me happy when mid-'83 rolled around and I took on several Tesoro models and most used AA Alkaline batteries, then the 9-Volt models like the Bandido, Bandido II and Silver Sabre II that held 2-9V's, or the microMAX models that only need 1-9V to power them along. In my entire Detector Outfit today I only need ONE 9-Volt battery for each of my Tesoro's: a Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX (and my 'backup' Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX).

Some folks might have a lower-end or budget-priced model that calls for a 9V, and I'd guess they hardly get used and not often enough to notice them suffering from a weakened 9-Volt. I'm certain that the most used detector today that is relying on one or two rectangular-shaped 9-Volts is going to be a Tesoro. They are no longer in business but still very proven and in frequent use, and they tend to provide very acceptable run-times.

The only other 9-V powered detecting equipment I have is my Makro Pinpointer that uses 1-9V. My Pulse-Dive Pinpointer is a built-in rechargeable powered unit. Most hobbyists, I'm sure, need a 9-Volt battery for their hand-held Pinpointers.

Hummm, my too-long reply gave me time to think about it. I was going to just say 'NO' to the 9-Volt battery testing, but now I guess it might not be a bad idea. Just a matter of getting some fresh 9-Volt batteries to test since they cost a lot more than AA alkaline batteries.

So, YES, when finished with AA's I will do some 9-V testing and report it here. But don't get too excited and go out shopping for a 9-V powered old fashioned, clumsy, top-heavy Fisher CZ. Unless you think their multi-frequency 'concept' is going to surpass your 'simultaneous' multi-frequency Equinox 800.eye popping smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

AA Alkaline Battery Testing. Attachments

Monte 107 January 20, 2020 01:01PM

Well heck.

OregonGregg 78 January 21, 2020 07:42AM

A little help from your friends. . . . . .

UtahRich 83 January 21, 2020 11:02AM

Re: Well heck.

Sodbuster 72 January 21, 2020 10:31AM

Re: Well heck.

OregonGregg 70 January 21, 2020 04:03PM

All charged up. thinking

UtahRich 56 January 21, 2020 06:43PM

Batteries, Good Sense, and Appearances

UtahRich 69 January 21, 2020 10:50AM

Re: Batteries, Good Sense, and Appearances

OregonGregg 65 January 21, 2020 04:06PM

You need some AA powered Flashlights - N/T

UtahRich 69 January 21, 2020 08:41AM

I hadn't planned on shopping today, but let me check ....

Monte 73 January 21, 2020 09:42AM

AA's / Flashlights / and clearing out "lesser" AA Batteries

UtahRich 72 January 21, 2020 10:04AM

Battery Testing. 9V's too ?

UtahRich 80 January 20, 2020 04:37PM

9-Volt Battery Testing? Well, it gets interesting.

Monte 75 January 21, 2020 09:05AM

An Idea

OregonGregg 76 January 21, 2020 04:00PM

What a smoothie. cool smiley

UtahRich 58 January 21, 2020 06:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018