Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ghost Town Hunting: Part 1... 'How to Prepare.'.

February 19, 2020 09:45AM avatar
glabelle
Monte, if the old T-R ignored nails, why not use them today in the ghost towns? (I have a 6000di w/T-R mode!)
Different. For one, the earlier T/R's, initially had the broad-range tuner control on the Metal / Mineral Locators and they worked better with iron. A second point is some moves to TR only lacked the Null and Mineral range adjustments and they set the lowest end of the Tuner control off a little so some accepted bottle caps while others still broke them up or rejeceted them Manufacturer to manufacturer difference and even between models under the same brand. Just like detectors today.

A third point is that the early TRs worked at or close to 100 kHz while your 6000Di w/TR-Disc. operates at 6.59 kHz and there is a difference in that, as well as how they designed the TR-Disc. circuitry.

glabelle
You are correct. That was from a spot in Tobar, Nevada. There were worse spots too!
That's the town I guessed, but so many of the old towns look so similar.

glabelle
BTW, this is why I believe there are plenty of coins left - under nails. My theory is that the townspeople dropped coins while the town was active. Later others came in dismantled it and/or burned it down - leaving the nails on top!
Yes, there are a lot of coins, trade tokens, sheep ear tags, buttons and insignia, and the neat small targets left to be found .... they are too deep or just too close to some offending ferrous junk and are masked.

Those are some of the reasons I have long relied on smaller-size search coils to tackle tough conditions.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ghost Town Hunting: Part 1... 'How to Prepare.'.

Monte 76 February 19, 2020 09:08AM

Ghost Town Hunting: Part 2.. 'Selecting Detector & Coil'

Monte 63 February 20, 2020 01:02AM

Ghost Town Hunting: Part 3 .. 'Before You Get to the Ghost Town'

Monte 47 February 20, 2020 01:05AM

Ghost Town Hunting: ... Part 4 .. Now, are Detectors, Coils and Settings up to the Task?

Monte 50 February 20, 2020 07:51AM

glabelle 60 February 19, 2020 09:21AM

Monte 41 February 19, 2020 09:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018