Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I haven't tried the AT Gold w/4½" Concentric coil.

February 21, 2020 08:45AM avatar
I've used the 4½" coil on other Garrett models, and used to have one that was good in trashier sites, but modern trash and not Nail infested. I've been looking forward to your testing of this model and coil.

glabelle:
Well, theory proved correct. The AT Gold (5" CC) performs as well as the Impact (7" CC).
What was the 'theory?' The use of a smaller-size coil or the use of a Concentric type coil? Maybe both?

glabelle:
I re-did the tests with the Impact and AT Gold in my real ground mineralized soil, which measures as "highly mineralized" (78) on the Gold. The nails were mounted on a piece of cardboard, to emulate approximately, laying on the ground.
I like this type of test because I guess you could honestly say "it evens the playing field."winking smiley It's what the eye might encounter if looking a site over, or that might b encountered if Coin and Nails were just barely out of sight, such as wind-blown sand, but still on the same plane.

glabelle:
I also changed the results of the Impact based on the depth at which the target can no longer be detected. I pushed the nickel down into the soil, until the detectors could no longer hit it. Both did about 1/4". Hey, that's progress smiling smiley
Two things were changed, and that is the Coin was slightly deeper than the Iron nails .... or .... the Nails were closer to the search coil than the Coin. Different point of view but with the same changes in the result, and that is analyzing what type of metal object has a greater influence on the more intense portion of the EMF. Not to mention the two have a differing effect on the Electro-Magnetic field to begin with sine one is ferrous and the other isn't.

glabelle:
Another important note: Neither the Gold nor Impact could hit a cu penny in the N-S direction, until I spread the nails to ~2" apart. The nickel just provides more non-ferrous volume.
You lost me on that final comment, although it could be argued from the standpoint of the warped EMF. Well, maybe not argued but at least discussed.

By NS, for a lot of readers, let's just describe it as sweeping the Nail direction 'lengthwise' And altering the Nail's closeness to the Copper Cent made the difference ... in a coupe of ways. But we need to consider why moving the Nails helped, and also consider the settings used and the search coils as well. One had a 4½" round Concentric and the other used a 7" round Concentric, so the 'type' of coil was unchanged, but their diameter, or size, could make a differences as well.

But if another Concentric coil could handle that w/o moving the Nails, what would that indicate? Or if a Double-D coil could handle it with a 'lengthwise' sweep before changing the Nail position, what would that suggest?

This was just two different detector models and others might have done OK simply based on circuitry design. A lot of variables involved in these tests.

glabelle:
Also, even though the Gold is a pound less than the Impact, it has poor balance. With the small 5" coil, it hangs straight down and requires force to keep the coil 'up'. I'll try a counterweight off the end of the shaft.
The AT series are top-heavy and with bigger coils they can be nose heavy. That was just one of the design annoyances that bothered me about them. However, in any and all cases, we each have our preferences and reasons we feel this or that model makes a workable 'fit' in our Detector Outfit. I had considered an AT Gold at one time due to the operating frequency, but found that it fell short of what I was looking for.

Dealing with Iron Nails has always interested me through the years, and even though I rely mainly on my Nail Board to sort out what detectors and coils are going to work for me, I still 'have fun' learning by using other 'tests.' Like I said, I have four 'Nail Tests' I'll bring to the outing in June. #1 is the Nail Board Performance Test using 2 different coins. #2 is the 'Plank Board' with the two Square Nails and a US Nickel. Then on to #3 which is one Iron Nail on top of a Brass Button Front. Sept 'crosswise' and then 'lengthwise' it can produce 4 possible hits, and I only know of two detectors, so far, that can do that. Then the Nickel & Nail Test #4.

Yes, I decided last night that this Iron Nail test will also use 1 US Nickel coin, and all I ask is for anyone to use their detector and coil of choice, size or type, set up as they would for Relic Hunting these old sites and sweep over the Test Set-Up. From any direction they choose, and see if they can get one good audio response from the Nickel from the left and from the right ... from any position/direction they choose.

It is a Test that serves as an educational tool. It does help to point out the good and bad results based on one aspect of a detector's design

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2020 04:44AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Updated test results, AT Gold added Attachments

glabelle 139 February 19, 2020 11:49AM

Stacked silver dollar results

glabelle 53 February 26, 2020 09:01AM

Good information. Were the Silver Dollars all

Monte 51 February 26, 2020 05:33PM

Re: Good information. Were the Silver Dollars all

glabelle 42 February 26, 2020 06:02PM

I haven't tried the AT Gold w/4½" Concentric coil.

Monte 57 February 21, 2020 08:45AM

I updated my above post and withdrew the money offer. N/T

Monte 45 February 22, 2020 04:46AM

Re: I haven't tried the AT Gold w/4½" Concentric coil.

glabelle 47 February 21, 2020 05:43PM

George, I'll give some short replies.

Monte 51 February 22, 2020 04:37AM

Re: George, I'll give some short replies.

glabelle 46 February 22, 2020 08:08AM

Back to you, George.

Monte 51 February 22, 2020 09:33AM

Re: Back to you, George.

glabelle 46 February 22, 2020 10:12AM

George, 'Rippville' is huntable!!

Monte 48 February 22, 2020 07:45PM

Re: George, 'Rippville' is huntable!!

glabelle 45 February 22, 2020 07:50PM

Yes, we get to control our time .... sometimes ....

Monte 44 February 22, 2020 08:43PM

Re: Updated test results, AT Gold added

OregonGregg 52 February 19, 2020 04:07PM

Re: Updated test results, AT Gold added

diggindeep 52 February 19, 2020 04:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018