Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, George.

February 22, 2020 09:33AM avatar
glabelle
Surprise, surprise. It is called a 5" coil.

It is sometimes referred to as a 4-1/2" coil.

The actual outer diameter of the housing is 4-3/16" ! Therefore the coil is probably more like 4" dia. In theory, excellent for my application.

I wish all the mfrs. would define their coils by the actual outer diameter of the windings inside, not the housing size
I don't know where you saw a Garrett announcement that it is called a 5" coil. They list it as the following: 4.5" Super Sniper searchcoil

I've used and sold Garrett detectors and it has always been described as a 4½" coil.

If it measures that then it would generally be rounded to 4¼". It might be an internal thing going way back where their thinking out it in half-inch sizes and someone measured it including a coil cover? Who knows, but if YOU measured it and it is 43/16" and Garrett advertises it as a 4½", then is certainly isn't a 5".

I disagree on using the internal winding measurements. It is just common-sense to rely on the outside physical shape so you can better tell how it might fit in and around places you search, and can easily compare with other offered search coils. I was at White's after they changed to the 5.3 name for a 6½ diameter coil, and also the 7.8 name for an 8" coil with the Quantum II. I made it a point to track down three different design engineers and ask them to please describe that measurement for those search coils. None of the three were sure.

I asked if it was a measurement from the inside of the winding across to the opposite inside of the winding, or a crosswise measurement of the outside of the winding, or is they relied n a measurement from the center of the winding across to the center of the winding on the opposite side. Three engineers and none knew for sure, nor did they care.

And you're only referring to the measurement of the Tx winding. What about the Rx winded size? that's equally important. Is it a centered, round-shaped Rx winding? Teknetics make the 5X9½ elliptical Concentric for the Omega and both the Tx and Rx windings are elliptically shaped, so how do you measure them to accurately describe the winding measurement? My Fisher F44 has a round 7" Concentric coil mounted. But the inner Rx winding is elliptically shaped so that poses a differences of description.

How about a Double-D coil? If you use a round-shaped coil housing that measures 8" across, then put in a DD type winding and the Tx and Rx are identical sized but overlap, then how do you measure the coil? If the Tx winding runs 7½" tip-to-toe and the widest part measures 4¾" at the mid-point, and the Rx winding measures the same, how do you describe the coil?

If you're only measuring a Concentric coil by the Tx winding of an 8" coil, that's one thing, but if you have an enclosed DD in an round 8" housing with a 4¾X7½ DD coil, is that round shaped DD coil of 8" diameter just a 4¾X7½"? Ignoring the odd-shape of the DD TX winding?

Nope, none of it makes sense to measure the actual physical internal winding. Kind of like measuring the wheelbase of a car or truck and then using that size to see if it will fit in a parking place or a garage. Not the way to tell. You measure bumper-to-=bumper, and with a coil you measure the actual physical coil size, the outside measurement.

In the end, the big question is does that 4½" coil, and being a Concentric design, do for you what you want it to do? That's the big question.

And even better, the weather is improving and in 1-2 weeks we ought to be able to get into 'Rippville' for some old townsite hunting. Gregg & I will check out the conditions and let you know. We can do some compassion testing when we meet up there, too.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Updated test results, AT Gold added Attachments

glabelle 147 February 19, 2020 11:49AM

Stacked silver dollar results

glabelle 54 February 26, 2020 09:01AM

Good information. Were the Silver Dollars all

Monte 53 February 26, 2020 05:33PM

Re: Good information. Were the Silver Dollars all

glabelle 45 February 26, 2020 06:02PM

I haven't tried the AT Gold w/4½" Concentric coil.

Monte 58 February 21, 2020 08:45AM

I updated my above post and withdrew the money offer. N/T

Monte 46 February 22, 2020 04:46AM

Re: I haven't tried the AT Gold w/4½" Concentric coil.

glabelle 48 February 21, 2020 05:43PM

George, I'll give some short replies.

Monte 53 February 22, 2020 04:37AM

Re: George, I'll give some short replies.

glabelle 47 February 22, 2020 08:08AM

Back to you, George.

Monte 53 February 22, 2020 09:33AM

Re: Back to you, George.

glabelle 47 February 22, 2020 10:12AM

George, 'Rippville' is huntable!!

Monte 48 February 22, 2020 07:45PM

Re: George, 'Rippville' is huntable!!

glabelle 47 February 22, 2020 07:50PM

Yes, we get to control our time .... sometimes ....

Monte 44 February 22, 2020 08:43PM

Re: Updated test results, AT Gold added

OregonGregg 52 February 19, 2020 04:07PM

Re: Updated test results, AT Gold added

diggindeep 53 February 19, 2020 04:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018