Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions and comments about "Crook County Diggers."

February 24, 2020 07:11PM avatar
Questions:

First, I'm glad to hear some of you decided to start a metal detecting club over there. A good club can help keep this sport going, and introduce members to some new or different places to hunt.

Second, has the new club already determined the Executive Board so officers are in place, or is that part of the meeting plan?

Third, from the few people you know who are getting this started, is the club going to cater to all aspects of metal detecting over there, to include Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting, or even Beach Hunting at any lakes and reservoirs?

Comments:

Was the new club name pre-determined by one or two individuals, or was the from a discussion with more of a 'group' of folks who want to get it going? I ask, because I noted two concerns with the name:

1.. Will using 'Crook County' narrow the area of interest since you have both Jefferson County and Deschutes Country towns/rural areas so close? There are a lot of small 'communities' around, plus towns, such as Madras, Redmond, a few tinier ones and even Bend. Even if they have a club, like Roger is in, it never hurts to have more clubs close by.

2.. years ago, when the hobby was new and metal detecting clubs sprung up all across the country, many of them had issues in local area if they used terms like 'Diggers' and image of a little critter and 'Gopher Gold', and other words or images that suggested digging in open spaces like parks and schools, and such. I didn't like the term some member came up for the first club I helped get started in Kaysville, Utah back in '81/'82, I.T.H.A.. That stood for Intermountain Treasure Hunters Association. It implied we took on a good-size area, but it used Treasure Hunters which I didn't car for because that also suggested to a city or country park official or a private property owner that people were out to dig and disturb the area a lot.

In '91 we merged that club with TWAS, which we start5ed in '85. My friend Dave Stuart & I got the 2nd club going and that name, Trails West Artifact Society sounded much less aggressive or disturbing to city sites. We kept that name when ITHA and TWAS merged.

Questions, again:

• Is the club going to hold regular monthly meetings 12 months of the year? I hope so.

• Personally, I like having monthly meetings on a Saturday morning rather than a week night. Is that the club's plan? If so, which Saturday of the Month was decided on?

• Metal Detector Dealers, as we knew them ... the 'local' places ... used to be a good help for many clubs. Are there any remaining dealers close by who might have an interest in joining and doing something to help support the new club?

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

The demise of clubs

glabelle 199 February 23, 2020 01:47PM

Questions and comments about "Crook County Diggers."

Monte 132 February 24, 2020 07:11PM

Re: Questions and comments about "Crook County Diggers."

glabelle 121 February 24, 2020 09:08PM

"Crook County Diggers."

UtahRich 94 February 26, 2020 11:48AM

So it's a 1st meeting. I hope things grow and go well.

Monte 102 February 26, 2020 05:38AM

Re: Places to meet

Remfire 111 February 26, 2020 09:04AM

Re: So it's a 1st meeting. I hope things grow and go well.

glabelle 111 February 26, 2020 08:55AM

denny's thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 87 February 26, 2020 11:51AM

Population - 9,000....NO Denny's! N/T

glabelle 94 February 26, 2020 02:48PM

A favorite local eatery will do.

UtahRich 111 February 27, 2020 09:15AM

Re: A favorite local eatery will do.

D&P-OR 96 February 27, 2020 09:56AM

Re: A favorite local eatery will do.

jmaryt 99 February 27, 2020 06:15PM

We do have a McDonalds!  N/T

glabelle 106 February 27, 2020 09:46AM

Meeting Location? Meeting Time?

Monte 116 February 23, 2020 07:16PM

Re: Meeting Location? Meeting Time?

glabelle 122 February 23, 2020 09:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018