Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You deleted the important question, so I'll add it here:

March 09, 2020 07:55AM avatar
How do I maximize my chances of finding some keepers?
A very good Question, pondered by UtahRich.
thinking .. eye rolling smiley .. confused smiley .. eye rolling smiley .. thinking

My replies:

#1.. Site Selection because if you do not select an older-use site, what you're looking for just might not be there to be found.

#2.. If you THINK you have a great detector for the WTHO ... 'think again.'

a.. Think about having two or more detectors that might 'complement' each other with a different performance behavior based on their overall circuitry design. That could be differences in how the Discrimination works, differences in recovery time or how they handle Iron trash. It could be a difference in the Ground Balance design or perhaps the Operating Frequency.

b.. Think, also, about both a Primary-Use search coil and a Secondary-Use search coil. It could be for one detector, or part of the complementing detector package. Maybe something for the nastiest of Iron Nail and dense debris areas, and something for the less littered and more open 'fringe' areas.

#3.. When you arrive, step out of your vehicle and look for the particular area you would like to hunt. Then, get started right at your vehicle and take your time slowly working that direction. Start right were you are, and hunt slowly and methodically. Carefully cover the area as you head in the direction you'd like to go, finding stuff along the way. Never just carry your detector over to a spot you want to hunt .... instead, hunt your way over, efficiently.

#4.. About done for the day or want to take a lunch break from working a particular desired area? Repeat #3 and hunt your way back to your vehicle, and don't rush it. Maybe carry water and a snack with you.

#5.. Never use too much Discrimination. Keep the Disc. setting as low as you can tolerate. I know there are likely to be good targets present, but I also know they are far outnumbered by the amount of trash. And that means there's a lot of good-target masking debris to deal with. I keep my Disc. set low enough that I can hear almost all of the Iron Nails present. Then, if the particular model offers it, I reduce the Low-Tone Iron Audio Volume to a minimum setting so I still hear the Iron Nails, but at a more comfortable lower Volume or loudness level.

#6.. Always be attentive to 'coil control.' Remember to 'overlap', generously. I keep my side-to-side sweeps shorter, such as about 24" to 36" and seldom make a wide-sweep greater than that. Broader sweeps often cause faster sweeping and that can be detrimental in several ways. It induces poor overlapping technique which means missed targets. It also seems to make people walk faster and/or take longer strides, and that means more missed search area.

#7.. 'Coil control' includes working in and around brush, weeds, trees, building rubble, and doing it in a slower and methodical manner to listen for any dig-worthy signal.

#8.. NEVER rely on a Visual Target ID Display. Glance at it if you want, sure, but a 'Dig' or 'No-Dig' decision should be made based on the audio response. And that should not have to be a perfect, full-bodied audio report, either. Recover the 'Good' audio signals, and also recover the digable type 'Iffy' signals as well. Especially those of a potentially-masked non-ferrous target.

#9.. Allow ample time do dedicate a search effort at a desired site. Try not to rush yourself and not give enough time to do a proper search as that can be mentally frustrating. Build up a too-hopeful attitude and also lead to a let-down if the hurried search is unsuccessful.

#10.. Always set out on any hunt by being as prepared as possible. Knowledge of the locations, proper detectors and coils, spare batteries and other detecting needs, such as a gear belt, recovery tool(s), trash pouch and container for the 'keepers,' And above all, remember to go about it all to have a fun and enjoyable experience. It might be difficult in some ways due to your health and mobility, but it should be a pleasurable experience and not be considered a work-effort experience.

There you go. Ten suggestions of how to maybe maximize your success rate if you are comfortable with the detector / coil choices for any planned hunt.. At least that's how I mentally go about it.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

So I think I have a great detector for the WTHO. Now What ?

UtahRich 184 March 08, 2020 05:53PM

Re: So I think I have a great detector for the WTHO. Now What ?

Kickindirt 125 March 10, 2020 09:34AM

OregonGregg 119 March 10, 2020 01:47PM

Kickindirt 122 March 10, 2020 02:38PM

Well....that's easy!

zincoln 116 March 10, 2020 09:21AM

Re: Well....that's easy!

OregonGregg 94 March 10, 2020 01:49PM

Wells Department of Tourism . . .

UtahRich 118 March 10, 2020 10:17AM

Re: Well....that's easy!

D&P-OR 93 March 10, 2020 09:29AM

You deleted the important question, so I'll add it here:

Monte 140 March 09, 2020 07:55AM

D&P-OR 112 March 08, 2020 06:33PM

What 800? thinking

UtahRich 105 March 08, 2020 07:02PM

OregonGregg 129 March 08, 2020 06:09PM

UtahRich 107 March 08, 2020 07:06PM

Digstrashtomuch 118 March 09, 2020 10:15AM

Now What ?

UtahRich 131 March 09, 2020 01:03PM

Re: Now What ?

glabelle 95 March 09, 2020 05:09PM

tabman 110 March 09, 2020 12:10PM

Digstrashtomuch 113 March 09, 2020 01:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018