Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A versatile non-display favorite.

March 18, 2020 04:26AM avatar
glabelle:
Well, sorta. I already had a White's Classic III SL, but with an 8" coil. I made the Mr. Bill modifications to it, so it has a threshold and ground balance control.
The Coinmaster Classic III Plus and Classic III SL used the Blue Max series of coils which made them more versatile because they could use the BM350 and BM600 coils.thumbs up A problem with the Classic III SL was it had a Frequency Shift control, but you didn't dare use it because that also shifted it from the GB setting and could result in a lot of falsing. That issue is eliminated with the addition of the modifications because once shifted to eliminate EMI it only takes 5 to 10 seconds to re-adjust for a proper GB setting.

I was fortunate to have the first 'Mr. Bill' Crabtree modification of a Classic III SL other than the one he did for himself. Two simple controls that made a Classic SL a much more versatile detector, but White's didn't have the presence of mind to do it in-house. A couple of engineers thought it would be good to do, and anticipated it might be done, but the folks upstairs decided to keep them a simple, 'turn-on-and-go' design.

glabelle:
Ok for general use, but I was curious how it would do on all the nail tests with a Blue Max 350, 4" coil.
My modified Classic's, the III SL, ID and IDX Pro, were very regular-use or general-purpose models ... thanks to the Threshold and GB modifications. I used my modified Classic III the most with the BM600 6½" Concentric coil, almost as much as I used my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/7" or 6" Concentric coil since they both provided GB capability.

The Classic III had the edge, however, when I wanted to find more targets or all targets in an area, to include ferrous type, or know they were there, because they had the equivalent of Tesoro's ED-180 Disc. An All Metals accepted search mode.

When the Classic ID was first released and I picked mine up at White's factory the day they came out of production, I already had a couple of the 6½" Concentric coils on-hand, so I got a new BM 350 Concentric off their demo/display room shelf. I used it on the Classic ID at first, and after the defective coil was repaired and the too-long coil cable was shortened to a 'normal' length, I mounted it on my modified Classic III instead, leaving the 6½" Con. on my now-modified Classic ID. I didn't need that small coil on the ID model because it was used to hunt in and around some of the very dense iron contaminated sites that would mess up the TID read-out.

The modified Classic III w/BM350 became my 'back-up' or 'do-it-again' unit I would grab to re-hunt some cellar holes and other very iron-littered areas at ghost towns, homesteads and similar places once I had worked them with a 6" or 7" coil. The Classic series were one of the best offerings any manufacturer brought out to try and compete with the slow-motion / quick-response Tesoro's. They sometimes needed to be swept just a wee bit slower than a Tesoro in heavy iron contamination, but worked pretty well.

The Classic series, starting with the Coinmaster Classic in the boxier configuration and powered by 3 9V batteries, was not an in-house design at White's. They wrre designed by an outside engineer, the 'original' "Mr. Bill", William 'Bill' Lahr who did a fantastic job.thumbs up

glabelle:
Found a BM350 for sale the other day and bagged it. The 3SL can pass all the nail tests. A little iffy on the N-S 2 nail test with a half dime. But pretty good for an old detector. Especially surprising since it operates at 6.59KHz!
You have set-up some different Iron Nail Test challenges by using a variety of coins, and a silver Half-Dime gets to be a real challenge due to the very small, thin design. I still rely on my Nail Board Performance Test with an Indian Head 1¢ as the make or break method to sorts detectors apart for use in a very densely scattered Iron Nail environment. I saved that original ghost town encounter and duplicated on the Nail Boards I had made up so that anyone, anywhere, can duplicate the exact same test conditions.

The test you refer to, using two parallel Iron nails separated to position a coin between them, can be swept E-W, or 'Crosswise,' or be swept N-S, or 'Lengthwise,' and it is a challenging test due to the close association of the two Nails, the size and position of the Coin, and taking into consideration the different behavior on an EMF caused by Iron and Non-Iron.

I look forward to checking out some detectors on your set-up. The one problem with such a comparison, is that I did mine to try and duplicate a 'test' I saw on You Tube where the fellow had two Iron Nails and a 5¢ coin on a board on the ground. With my Test Sample, I have the Nails closer to the Coin than he did. I saw the picture of your test sample, and I have seen OregonGregg's similar test sample, and it looks like we each used different sizes of nails, and different positions of the Nails and Coin. That makes the 'test' we do educational, but only valid for our particular test sample.

I haven't tried mine with a different-size coin, or especially a smaller, thinner Half-Dime. The Only time I used the Half-Dime was to make the NBPT a tougher test, mainly out of curiosity and not as a Make/Break or Pass/Fail type of sampling.

glabelle:
It could be the backup I was looking for all along. It is light. Haven't measured the weight but it feels good.
Yes, indeed, you might have found the 'just-right' combination, and you had the detector all along. Just needed the modification and that smaller-size coil. I have to admit, I enjoyed that coil on my modified Classic III, and I made sure I used a slower methodical sweep with it, but I just didn't have than many situations where I would be using it very often.

And yes, it was surprising that it worked so well in and around a lot of iron at the lower 6.59 kHz operating frequency. Most of what I hunt with since the late '70s operated in the 10 to 20 kHz range, so I know I found it interesting when I put it to work. Other than a few favorite White's models at that frequency the only other lower frequency range detectors I have enjoyed were the Teknetics Omega 8000 and now the Fisher F44, but those were expressly for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and not a good pick for Iron infested sites. It does differ from most of the 'modern' detectors due to the analog circuitry compared with the mostly digital designs we see today. That might be part of the key ingredient. ???

I hope it works out for you in some smaller, dedicated areas.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

The day has arrived, I was expecting it. Attachments

OregonGregg 151 March 10, 2020 06:43AM

Gregg, there are no 'Dues' or funny liquid to sip down.

Monte 33 March 19, 2020 10:37AM

And now, the morning after.

Monte 75 March 11, 2020 11:11AM

The day has arrived . . . . .

UtahRich 72 March 10, 2020 08:28AM

"Are you thinking we should have a beep-n-dig hour at the outing.? " . . .

Monte 62 March 11, 2020 11:39AM

we should have a beep-n-dig hour at the outing.? " . . . Deus without remote??

Kickindirt 60 March 11, 2020 01:49PM

Re: we should have a beep-n-dig hour at the outing.? " . . . Deus without remote??

tabman 54 March 15, 2020 04:55AM

Re: we should have a beep-n-dig hour at the outing.? " . . . Deus without remote??

Digstrashtomuch 48 March 15, 2020 12:00PM

Monte 43 March 13, 2020 09:43AM

Kickindirt 43 March 13, 2020 11:19AM

Digstrashtomuch 43 March 13, 2020 02:00PM

Kickindirt 35 March 13, 2020 07:25PM

Deus without remote?? EDIT -

UtahRich 65 March 11, 2020 02:13PM

Deus without remote?? Uhhhhhhh - That's a NO sad smiley

UtahRich 40 March 13, 2020 10:04PM

Re: Deus without remote?? Uhhhhhhh - That's a NO sad smiley

Kickindirt 34 March 13, 2020 11:15PM

Re: Deus without remote??

Kickindirt 53 March 11, 2020 02:26PM

See Edit Above . . . . N/T

UtahRich 40 March 11, 2020 02:35PM

Re: "Are you thinking we should have a beep-n-dig hour at the outing.? " . . .

Digstrashtomuch 48 March 11, 2020 12:42PM

Re: The day has arrived . . . . .

OregonGregg 63 March 10, 2020 01:59PM

NWCindy 54 March 10, 2020 07:23PM

glabelle 56 March 10, 2020 04:21PM

As for me, I tend to enjoy some of the older and discontinued detectors.

Monte 47 March 11, 2020 01:25PM

Added a beep+dig to my arsenal!

glabelle 45 March 17, 2020 02:49PM

A versatile non-display favorite.

Monte 34 March 18, 2020 04:26AM

A new beep+dig for my arsenal ! smiling bouncing smiley

UtahRich 28 March 17, 2020 10:55PM

Confidence in what works

UtahRich 40 March 11, 2020 02:33PM

Re: As for me, I tend to enjoy some of the older and discontinued detectors.

Kickindirt 42 March 11, 2020 01:52PM

OregonGregg 68 March 11, 2020 05:37AM

glabelle 36 March 12, 2020 01:15PM

OregonGregg 41 March 12, 2020 05:43PM

Kickindirt 43 March 11, 2020 10:29AM

D&P-OR 42 March 11, 2020 10:43AM

OregonGregg 40 March 11, 2020 02:06PM

glabelle 54 March 11, 2020 07:44AM

OregonGregg 47 March 11, 2020 08:04AM

Re: The day has arrived, I was expecting it.

D&P-OR 54 March 10, 2020 08:10AM

Re: The day has arrived, I was expecting it.

Sodbuster 59 March 10, 2020 07:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018