Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting back 'On Topic' with the Forums.

March 19, 2020 08:12AM avatar
Ten Years ago the WHO declared a 'pandemic' for the H1N1 or 'Swine Flu' Virus. We had a President who didn't declare that here in the US. It was bad, scary for many, and here are some estimated results for the USA:

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, there were 60.8 million cases, 274,000 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths (0.02% case fatality rate) in the United States due to the virus."

It was worse for those under the age of '65' as they accounted for about 80% of those deaths. That's not a world-wide number, those are for the USA. Is this virus different? Yes, somewhat, but it hasn't reached the level of the H1N1 'pandemic' that was determined by the WHO, and more than likely it will follow the course of all such viruses. It isn't good, but we all don't get it, and while we should always use some logical level of caution, it has to run its course.

We sure didn't panic like we see happening today, and we could still shop where there were supplies and food, dine out where we wanted, and participate in small gatherings and events. We just needed to stay as clean and healthy as possible, which we all should be doing anyway. It's just a different type of 'disaster' of sorts we should all be prepared for anyway. A 'responsible-size' food storage we maintain, flashlights, TP and the routine daily essentials should be on-hand all the time.

We should always do our best to be prepared for what might come our way, be it a hurricane, tornado, sever winter storm or long and over-heated summer, or an earthquake like friends and family experienced yesterday in Utah. Sometimes things happen that are sudden and unexpected, while others are like an illness that spreads and takes a little longer to develop then go away.

There are Forums and PM's and e-mails to discuss illnesses and I don't want the AHRPS Forums to get carried off on this discussion. Sympathetic comments aside, I feel we should go about our daily lives in an ordinary manner, doing what we normally do, and discussing things pertinent to these Forum topics. We know there are the Covid-19 germs around, and we know many other things can cause abrupt changes in our lives and health, and come unexpectedly. A stroke, heart attack, cancer, Mumps, Measles, Chicken Pox and the list goes on.

Just do what you can to stay well. Follow all the normal precautions of washing your hands and clothing regularly, wiping down surfaces where you could likely pick up germs, and follow your own guidelines of spacing, joining groups, and other precautions so that you stay healthy. Me? I am doing that as well, and I am selecting places to go metal detecting were I am not in a crowded environment. Matter of fact, I'm usually the only person there, enjoying fresh air and sunshine.

Some areas are now starting to see a reduction in the spread of the virus, and many reports are that we will see the economy and normal daily activity on the upswing in just a month or two. As I close, let me give a quick answer before anyone asks:

NO, I haven't cancelled the 12th WTHO to Wells, Nevada on June 3rd thru 7th.

Yes, I'll monitor how things are progressing with the virus spread and control, but at this point haven't seen any immediate need to cancel the Outing. I know I plan to be down there, whether participants show up or not, so things are progressing as normal, with the hope that all will be better in a couple of months. And naturally, I hope you all stay well and I see many of you for the Outing.

Now, plan for some detecting time to get out, relax, and get your mind off of what's going on. Have a good, normal day!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 10:51AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Getting back 'On Topic' with the Forums.

Monte 43 March 19, 2020 08:12AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018