Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Announcement: ALL SEVEN OF THEM ARE GOING TO CHANGE to ....

April 04, 2020 11:42PM avatar
NiMH Rechargeable Battery power.smiling bouncing smiley

As I said, it's Nokta / Makro and Minelab's fault, for the most part. When I got my first Nokta detector, the FORS CoRe, it came with rechargeable batteries, but I had too many detectors and a ton of AA Alkaline batteries. Over the past five+ years many or most of my Nokta or Makro or more recent Nokta / Makro detectors have been Pro Packs and came with NiMH rechargeable batteries and I just sold off the battery systems. I have many more flashlights around my home and vehicle than I do metal detectors, some AAA and some AA powered, so I've maintained a more than ample supply of Alkaline batteries.

The two Tesoro's are 9-Volt battery powered and with just two of them, I don't have a problem keeping a few new spare 9-V batteries on-hand. Then, as I mentioned, my Nokta / Makro Simplex + and XP ORX are staying in my Detector Outfit just as they are, because they come with built-in LiPO batteries and I just keep them charged.

I had an 'extra' set of 8 Eneloop rechargeables I sold Bob W. last fall, but kept a set I had. Then I acquired 8 more, and to complement them I acquired 4 or 8 Varta NiMH rechargeable batteries with the purchase of two or three more Nokta / Makro devices, and the two Minelab Vanquish 540's I bought this last couple of months came with Minelab-labeled NiMH AA's. All of my detectors are powered by 4-AA, not 8, except for the Fisher F44 which uses two AA batteries.

Earlier this year I went through a lot of AA Alkaline batteries doing the in-detector Battery Tests back in January. I used a lot in several detectors as I tested their 'run time' and also took that opportunity to check all my flashlights to make sure they were up-to-par, and if their batteries were getting a bit low I replaced them. At the time I owned two (2) flashlights that were Lithium battery powered that I could charge as desired and they were what I kept in my vehicle-carry tote with my meds and a few medical/important things or the larger flashlight that is on the back seat with detectors.

I have since then purchased a few new flashlights that are rechargeable, and got two from my oldest son, Monte Jr. I took a look at the couple hundred Alkaline AA batteries I still have and felt it was sufficient to cover my flashlight and other device needs, and I started doing some detector testing of the different NiMH batteries, just being curious how much run-time I would get from them. I never cared for NiCad batteries, but with quite a few battery chargers now on-hand and a lot of NiMH batteries, I considered their functional run-time was very good and without a shortage of rechargeable batteries and chargers now, I'd just make the change.

Now, over the next several months as we get more detecting time, I'll be able to compare the operational time of the different brands of NiMH batteries. So far the Varta are worked well and the Minelab labeled batteris are lasting the shortest length, but I'm starting all recorded testing tomorrow (Monday the 5th) and first ensuring all batteries are at full charge when I start.

So, no Del, my Nokta Relic isn't going anywhere except out detecting. And while I still have a little interest in an Equinox 800 Andrew, my two Vanquish 540's are staying put since they provide the comfort and performance afield that satisfies my needs for them. Brian, I like your sense of humor, if you were to imagine me getting a V3i. Funny. And Sven, you are partially correct in the desire for a 7" Concentric coil.thumbs up.

I stated the Racer 2 in my initial post and not the brand new Impact I just bought, but I'm making a change. I'll be getting another Racer 2 from Dan'o Tuesday morning and just need to buy a 7" Concentric coil for it. I'm going to sell the new Impact because, even though it is a great detector, I have all the bases covered and only need a Racer 2 w/7" Concentric mounted for some assigned needs/uses.

Anyway, this is a very significant change for me as I have resisted rechargeable batteries forever. Now, after 10 months with an ORX and 5 with a Simplex +, I think it made it easier for me to convert over to using rechargeable batteries in all my detectors, full-time.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 12:44PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

Monte 121 April 04, 2020 04:30PM

The day has arrived . . . . . Everybody mark your calendars. N/T

UtahRich 52 April 06, 2020 02:10PM

Announcement: ALL SEVEN OF THEM ARE GOING TO CHANGE to ....

Monte 134 April 04, 2020 11:42PM

Re: Announcement: NiMH Rechargeable Battery power. grinning smileythumbs upthumbs up

Sodbuster 69 April 05, 2020 12:35PM

Thanks, Mike, and since it's too winding and rain is due ...

Monte 70 April 05, 2020 01:00PM

Re: ---► ALL SEVEN OF THEM ARE GOING TO CHANGE to ....

OregonGregg 77 April 05, 2020 08:18AM

D&P-OR 75 April 05, 2020 05:57AM

Del, I have used the same reasoning in the past, but ....

Monte 91 April 05, 2020 09:59AM

Re: Del, I have used the same reasoning in the past, but ....

D&P-OR 73 April 05, 2020 10:11AM

WM6 50 April 05, 2020 12:15PM

D&P-OR 45 April 05, 2020 01:14PM

WM6 63 April 05, 2020 06:03AM

Re: Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

diggindeep 53 April 04, 2020 08:58PM

Re: Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

D&P-OR 43 April 04, 2020 09:16PM

D&P-OR 63 April 04, 2020 06:03PM

zincoln 71 April 04, 2020 04:51PM

It's Nokta / Makro and Minelab's fault. N/T

Monte 73 April 04, 2020 04:32PM

Does it come with a 7" concentric coil? N/T

SvenS 48 April 04, 2020 06:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018