Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Del, I have used the same reasoning in the past, but ....

April 05, 2020 09:59AM avatar
times have changed and we have much better rechargeable batteries today. I used to do the same and keep a set of Alkaline batteries on-hand when I knew my detectors was getting tired.

But times have changed for me, too, and I don't have the 'battery power' to hunt long days like I used to and put more drain on the batteries. The NiMH rechargeables last me for a lot of detecting time. Not a long day, but for several days since I might only get in 1 hr. to perhaps 4 hours of detecting in a long day simply due to health limitations.

Add to that the fact that I own and use an assortment of detectors and switch off as desired during the course of a day's adventure depending upon the sites I hit or the challenges that confront me. And while I used to carry an extra set of batteries because I knew what I was using was running down and could die, that was when I was far more mobile and I covered some territory to hunt well off in a distance from where I had parked.

Today, I park as close as I can get to where I want to detect, and most of the time I am within about 100 ft. of the vehicle, and on some recent ghost town hunts I've managed to work off a good 200 feet or so. That means I'm relatively close should my batteries fade, but it also means I've worn myself out as well just making it that far away and the efforts it will take for me to hobble on back to the vehicle. I need a good sit-down rest by then so that gives me plenty of time to change batteries, and I can also get the rechargeables busy charging right then. But I do still keep 4 batteries with me so I can hunt my way back to the vehicle.

Other devices also need power, and my ORX and Vanquish headphones use rechargeable batteries, as do my XP Mi6 Pinpointer and Nokta / Makro Pulse-Dive Pinpointer. Matter-of-fact, my newest flashlight and head-light are also rechargeable and work well for when summer arrives and I do more night-hunting to avoid the high heat on those desert-bound Relic Hunting adventures.

All my units that take 4-AA batteries are easily changed and tired batteries can later be put on the charger. My Nokta / Makro Simplex + uses the one built-in LiPO battery and it lasts a long time on a full charge. My XP ORX is the one that is a pain to deal with, charging the headphone puck, the control housing and the search coil, but I have found it to work long enough, once fully charged, to get me through a few days of detecting before I need to revitalize it. Plus,I am a bit selective when I use the ORX, or any particular detector in my Outfit, so it hasn't presented a problem for me yet.

If I only had one or two detectors and only used rechargeable batteries and put in lengthy hours of detecting, I am sure it might be annoying and I'd stick with quality Alkaline batteries. But after taking in a lot of things and costs and such, I just figured it was a different but functional move for me to make. Time will tell if I am wrong.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

Monte 123 April 04, 2020 04:30PM

The day has arrived . . . . . Everybody mark your calendars. N/T

UtahRich 54 April 06, 2020 02:10PM

Announcement: ALL SEVEN OF THEM ARE GOING TO CHANGE to ....

Monte 139 April 04, 2020 11:42PM

Re: Announcement: NiMH Rechargeable Battery power. grinning smileythumbs upthumbs up

Sodbuster 73 April 05, 2020 12:35PM

Thanks, Mike, and since it's too winding and rain is due ...

Monte 75 April 05, 2020 01:00PM

Re: ---► ALL SEVEN OF THEM ARE GOING TO CHANGE to ....

OregonGregg 79 April 05, 2020 08:18AM

D&P-OR 77 April 05, 2020 05:57AM

Del, I have used the same reasoning in the past, but ....

Monte 93 April 05, 2020 09:59AM

Re: Del, I have used the same reasoning in the past, but ....

D&P-OR 76 April 05, 2020 10:11AM

WM6 52 April 05, 2020 12:15PM

D&P-OR 48 April 05, 2020 01:14PM

WM6 65 April 05, 2020 06:03AM

Re: Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

diggindeep 55 April 04, 2020 08:58PM

Re: Well, my two Tesoro's are staying unchanged, but I'm going to change the rest of my Detector Outfit.eye popping smiley

D&P-OR 45 April 04, 2020 09:16PM

D&P-OR 66 April 04, 2020 06:03PM

zincoln 73 April 04, 2020 04:51PM

It's Nokta / Makro and Minelab's fault. N/T

Monte 74 April 04, 2020 04:32PM

Does it come with a 7" concentric coil? N/T

SvenS 50 April 04, 2020 06:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

WM6
Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018