Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What the story with the Tarsacci MDT 8000

April 15, 2020 08:40AM
I got one when they first came out and had it for about 4 months had about 50-100 hours on it (sold it to pay some medical bills). I used it at the beach a few times but mostly used it relic hunting. So you've probably heard a lot of what I'm going to say. But I'll just confirm some of what I experienced as being the same as others and some not so much. Most people were using it on the beach I was one of the few using it relic hunting.

The Tarsacci is not a pick up and go machine.You need to spend at least 10 hours on it before you can even get a handle on how it works. Not only does it have ground balance it has salt balance (not just for the beach) and a black sand option. You also have to get the sweep speed right. I personally used black sand ON when I hunted because it performed better. Salt balance I did use at one of my sites that had alkaline salts on the surface. With the Tarsacci there is a fine balance between getting all of the above settings setup in addition to running the right frequency, sensitivity and threshold to get optimal performance. You have to start out with the Tarsacci dumbed down and them once you get the sounds figured out you can start to push it.

My dirt is 4-5 bars on the Fisher F75 and also has quite a bit of alkaline where I hunt. If you have mild ground then I would say you're better off using an other metal detector because there will be little if any depth advantage with the Tarsacci. When I first got the Tarsacci I compared it a lot to my GPX 11" coil and Equinox 11" coil, in field on undisturbed targets (Areas not containing much iron junk). What I found was the Tarsacci fell somewhere between the Equinox and GPX in depth. However, with the GPX 14" coil the Tarsacci was blown away, to be expected. The Equinox with the 12" x 15" coil was about equal to the Tarsacci. Something else I will say.....Since the latest Equinox upgrade using the 11" coil and me running some different modes with settings to match.....I think I'm getting just as deep as the Tarsacci with the stock coil. I have no way to prove that right now though and if I still had the Tarsacci I may very well have mastered it by now and have it going even deeper. So in a nut shell if you want flat out depth in low junk areas go with a GPX.

So the latest posts by Kieth on the other forums have been about the Tarsacci's ability in thick iron junk. The last two hunts I took the Tarsacci on before I sold it were to areas with lots of iron. Honestly it wouldn't be my first choice to take to one of those places. When I did use it, I found you could only run in disc mode and I had to notch out the top 3 numbers to get rid of the iron wrap. Also because of how quiet (don't know if that's the right word maybe subtle) the tone is on the Tarsacci, it makes it hard to tell a false on iron from a good target, at least for me. I also found in iron you really had to have your settings right to mitigate the extra noise. Kieth very well could be onto something as he does hunt very trashy sites. But since the beginning the Tarsacci has been discouraged in trashy sites. For now my trump card in iron infested sites that have deeper targets is the Equinox, for shallow trash the Deus. I can see where the Tarsacci might be good in iron infested sites with deeper targets but I would never suggest taking it to a place like a ghost town IMHO.

So in the end if you're up for a challenge and like to fiddle with settings and push your metal detectors to the limit like I do, it's a great machine. But for the majority of people I think it would be more of a frustration that an enjoyable experience IMO. If you notice the forums most of the people that have the Tarsacci are very experienced hunters, some even got frustrated with it and sold it but later picked up another one later. I myself have been contemplating getting another after this virus thing gets over with.

Andrew

XP Deus-Equinox 800-GPX 4000-Tarsacci MDT 8000-Bandido

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2020 08:44AM by diggindeep.
Subject Author Views Posted

What the story with the Tarsacci MDT 8000

OregonGregg 180 April 15, 2020 07:35AM

Druid 47 April 21, 2020 05:32PM

OregonGregg 41 April 21, 2020 05:46PM

Druid 48 April 22, 2020 09:19AM

The 'Manta' is tardy. --- The Tarsacci I have no interest in. N/T

Monte 39 April 22, 2020 10:30PM

diggindeep 112 April 15, 2020 08:40AM

Andrew, 'Thank You' for contributing to this post.

Monte 60 April 16, 2020 06:33AM

Re: Andrew, 'Thank You' for contributing to this post.

SvenS 48 April 16, 2020 05:20PM

OregonGregg 54 April 15, 2020 10:51AM

D&P-OR 60 April 15, 2020 10:16AM

Re: story with the Tarsacci MDT 8000

Sodbuster 80 April 15, 2020 10:14AM

WM6 111 April 15, 2020 08:12AM

I agree and, to me, that raises a flag.

Monte 85 April 16, 2020 03:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018