Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HEADPHONES: Who uses them, and who doesn't?

April 23, 2020 07:54AM avatar
And more specifically, what headphones (brand or model) do you prefer? And if you have a preference, Why? I guess I ought to start with my views,

Over the many decades I've enjoyed a lot of detectors, I've also enjoyed several headphones ... but more often I've tried some that just didn't satisfy me. Most-of-the-time, I prefer to wear a good set of headphones, but there have been times and places when I don't, such as:

• When I am well away from anyone who would find my detector 'beeps' to be annoying.
• When I am away from anyone who might hear the detector 'beeps' and come over to be inquisitive or annoying.
• When the above two conditions are met and I am using a detector with a good built-in speaker with a clear-enough / loud-enough signal.

For example, at a vacant tot-lot or out hunting some remote locations, I used to use most of my Tesoro's or modified White's Classic series w/o headphones when hunting alone.

Using headphones, we also have to take into consideration our individual hearing ability and, since I'm hearing impaired, I pay close attention to (1) Headphone fit so they are comfortable and not loose or floppy, (2) are either Wireless or have a good coiled coil-cable, and (3) have very good Audio Quality with a clear, clean, un-muffled response. Usually to achieve that they have speakers with an impedance in the 50 Ohm to 150 Ohm range.

I have found that most headphones that use 8 Ohm, 16 Ohm or 32 Ohm speakers just are not loud enough, or clear enough, or have more of a 'muffled' and bass-like audio report and have been terrible for me to enjoy using. Currently, my favorite headphones are the Killer-B 'Hornet' and a good back-up set are the Killer B 'Wasp.' Both of these headphones have individual Volume controls, both have a Limiter Switch, and both use 150 Ohm speakers. The primary differences is that the 'Hornet' use the 'tank-style' ear cup that more fully encompasses the ear, while the 'Wasp' are a more standard or traditional size/style ear cup. I've enjoyed using these for quite a long time.

About 7+ years ago I also started using the White's Pro Star headphones. They also have separate Volume controls and use the 'tank-style' ear cups. They use a 50 Ohm speaker, but the audio quality is quite good. That made them comfortable, they usually would stay-put on your head, and the speaker quality and audio worked well with almost every make and model detector I tried them with. Initially, with their introduction I had two benefits:

1.. They were made here in the USA by White's Electronics at their facility in Sweet Home, Oregon.

2.. I was a White's Master Dealer so my own headphones didn't cost as much and I had my main-use and a back-up set all the time.

At the time, the box stated they had a Lifetime Warranty, and I was quite satisfied with their comfort, audio quality, and durability. I always check out different headphones I come across just in case I find a comfortable set that work well and might be more affordable. For me, at least, other than my preferred Killer B's, the only headphones I have enjoyed have been a good set of Gray Ghost I got on a trade, and the original White's Pro Star.

Unfortunately, for me, my last new set of Pro Star headphones broke when I was about to put them on when Gregg & I got out to hunt a few days ago. That has been a problem I have dealt with for a few years now. The Pro Star's worked well, audibly, and I'd watch for a good deal on them. Sometimes find a 'local dealer' going out-of-business and pick up a set or two for half-price, just to have on-hand. I still had several sets from when I got out of being a detector dealer, but their manufacturing had changed.

White's stopped making them 'in-house' and farmed the Pro Star headphones out to being a Made in China product because it was a lot cheaper. The plastic headband piece that the ear cups are 'clicked' or 'clamped' into was a poor quality plastic and even when opened enough to get over my ears, one side, and sometimes both sides would 'snap' and I'd be without usable headphones .. I'd just grab a 'back-up' set of headphones and had Pro Star plus one set of my Killer B 'Hornet' on hand.

Early last year, when I already had 3 or 4 sets of broken Pro Star's in my den at home, I set off on an outing and had a new set I had just started using in January or February, plus four brand new, in-the-box, Pro Star headphones in case someone forgot theirs or just wanted or needed a better sounding headphone. On the way to our Welcome-to-Hunt Outing I stopped to take a stretch and put in a little hunting time. about my 5th time out using the new headphones. 'Snap!' So I broke out a new set from one of the boxes and finishes my search. On to Wells, Nevada with my fresh headphones and 3 new extras along.

I was a day or so ahead of the Outing and, as I usually do, I set out to do some local Coin Hunting at the school and park. All went well and I stayed busy finding a fair number of coins the local guys hadn't yet found. I had more time after a late lunch break and resting up my aching back, and after speaking with a school grounds keeper, I hit a different tot-lot and found two things. One was thet there was a lop-sided number of dimes and quarters than there were a lesser number of pennies and nickels. The Second thing I found was when I got my Tesoro out to attack the site, I went to put on my headphones and 'Snap!'

I broke out another brand new set of Pro Star headphones which left me 2 new extra boxed headphones. I continued to work at Coin recovery and the rest of the day went well. Then, on to the Outing. I was using my new XP ORX w/their 'back-phones' most of the time but did go to my Nokta CoRe and Relic in the trashier areas using the Pro Star's and, so far everything worked well. Until the last day of the outing when those 'Snapped' on me as the day began. Broke out another new set and that left me with 1 brand new boxed set.

I made it home from the Outing, but within a week those broke and I got out the remaining 4th brand new set of Pro Star headphones, but they broke the very next day.

So, I had 4 brand new sets of broken Pro Stars. The box says Made-in-China, and there is no warranty on the box and no paperwork inside to let a person rest assured they had some level of coverage. I made a phone call to White's and explained the problem with the 4 brand new sets I had to use as well as have on-hand to sell to anyone who needed them. I hadn't planned on needing them all myself! He confirmed that they were made in China, but used the same 50 Ohm speakers and components, just that they had some breakage like mine caused by an inferior plastic headband piece.. The manufacturer had addressed that problem and White's received new inventory of the hopefully resolved headphone issue.

They sent me 4 brand new boxed sets of Pro Star headphones to replace those that broke. That was the good thing to do. However ....

I asked if the new headphones looked any different? -- No.

Did they use a different looking box to tell the faulty headphones from the new ones? -- No.

Did they get rid of the old inventory to eliminate the defective batches of headphones? -- No. They just put the new headphones, in the same boxes with no way to tell a difference, in with the existing sets of headphones. I asked how I would know if I got the new headphones that don't break? I was told, "we can just hope all four of them will be from the new stock."

Well, they arrived but saw little use during the winter and until spring-like weather arrived this year. One of the new sets broke within 2 days of their arrival and 1 set lasted just about until winter set in and got too cold, but it broke on the last trip afield. The 3rd set snapped the second time I put it on, on the first day I used them, and the 4th set just snapped a few days ago when Gregg & I found our trade tokens. So that one lasted about 2½ months ... when I was mainly using my Vanquish 540 and Minelab's wireless headphones.

So ... I really DO like the fit and comfort of the Pro Star headphones. I really DO like the audio quality of the 50 Ohm speakers they use. Now, I'll be sending off a box with 4 broken headphones to see what White's will do about it this time. Will they replace their replacements with 4 sets of Pro Star's that will hold up? I'll find out.

Until then, I am relying on these headphones:

► Killer B 'Hornet' as my main use headphone..

► Killer B 'Hornet' and 'Wasp' is reserve as my back-up headphones.

► Minelab ML-80 wireless headphones with my two Vanquish 540's.

► Gray Ghost XP wireless for my XP ORX.

ALL of the above work great and without any issues at all.

So, what is everybody else using? Have you had any problems with any of your headphones of choice?

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 01:23AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

HEADPHONES: Who uses them, and who doesn't?

Monte 122 April 23, 2020 07:54AM

Re: HEADPHONES: Who uses them, and who doesn't?

TabWhisperer 47 April 30, 2020 04:27PM

Back to you about headphones.

Monte 56 May 01, 2020 01:51AM

Re: Back to you about headphones.

glabelle 44 May 01, 2020 07:59AM

Monte 39 May 01, 2020 08:28AM

TabWhisperer 37 May 01, 2020 07:06AM

Yep, the same headphones, just a different set of likes / not-likes.

Monte 41 May 01, 2020 08:22AM

Yes - I use headphones

UtahRich 42 April 27, 2020 04:14PM

glabelle 48 April 27, 2020 10:18AM

jmaryt 47 April 27, 2020 06:32PM

Re: HEADPHONES: Forgot about the UniProbe, good two for one unitssmiling smiley N/T

Druid 40 April 25, 2020 10:42AM

Yes, they were some of the best. Too bad they are no-longer made.sad smiley N/T

Monte 36 April 26, 2020 07:03AM

Re: Yes, they were some of the best. Too bad they are no-longer made.sad smiley

Druid 41 April 26, 2020 10:25AM

Jimbola 41 April 24, 2020 08:43PM

Learning some wireless set-ups.

Monte 55 April 25, 2020 05:07AM

Digstrashtomuch 60 April 24, 2020 11:49AM

OregonGregg 64 April 24, 2020 04:27PM

Digstrashtomuch 37 April 25, 2020 05:55PM

This will be interesting, but I'd bet it won't last. N/T

Monte 39 April 25, 2020 05:40AM

Re: This will be interesting, but I'd bet it won't last.

OregonGregg 38 April 25, 2020 07:34AM

If I tried any, it would be the EZ Wanderer. N/T

Monte 26 April 26, 2020 07:06AM

Kickindirt 39 April 25, 2020 09:18AM

OregonGregg 38 April 25, 2020 10:29AM

Kickindirt 34 April 25, 2020 08:10PM

The wired backphones.

UtahRich 46 April 24, 2020 04:14PM

OregonGregg 50 April 24, 2020 05:32AM

Sodbuster 45 April 23, 2020 07:57PM

Druid 49 April 23, 2020 07:03PM

Re: HEADPHONES: Headphones are a must have

Kickindirt 49 April 23, 2020 05:57PM

jmaryt 58 April 23, 2020 11:06AM

Monte 58 April 23, 2020 06:04PM

jmaryt 42 April 24, 2020 07:17PM

D&P-OR 46 April 24, 2020 04:39PM

SunRay Pro Gold and Killer B 'Wasp.'

Monte 42 April 25, 2020 05:38AM

Re: SunRay Pro Gold and Killer B 'Wasp.'

D&P-OR 44 April 25, 2020 09:45AM

Yes, but that's on the FBS units. For the 'average' or

Monte 33 April 26, 2020 07:12AM

ProStars don’t like cold

Kraemer 46 April 24, 2020 04:15PM

Temperature didn't seem to make a difference.

Monte 34 April 25, 2020 05:58AM

Re: Temperature didn't seem to make a difference.

jmaryt 44 April 25, 2020 11:11AM

diggindeep 54 April 23, 2020 09:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018