Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have a Simplex + for coins, and really enjoy it.

May 04, 2020 10:14AM avatar
As stated, I have a Simplex + for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and like what it has to offer. Problem is, I mainly hunt trashier sites that are more rural or remote and have a lot of dense ferrous debris. So using my Simplex + in those old sites is limited, for now, and I am really looking forward to the smaller-soil releases. With the right coil attached, I have good feelings about the Simplex + in trashier conditions, urban type or rural.

Joe in alabama
Hey Guys
Hope all is well with everyone..
Looking to get a lower frequency detector to help with finding old silvers...I have a 16 and 19 freq. detector for my Relic Hunting..but always felt around a 10 freq was good to go with coin hunting.

Your thinking about silver coins and selecting a detector's operating frequency is a refreshing look from what I often read. It falls more in-line with my own experiences and detector selections for quite some time. Often, through the era of progression with VLF detectors. discussions about metal alloy conductivity and detector operating frequency was pretty much concentrated on models operating from ± 5 kHz to ± 15 kHz. From about '77 through '90 my detector outfit might have a 5.5 kHz Garrett or 6.59 kHz White's model which I would use most places, but leaned toward them when I wanted an 'edge' on finding silver coins that might be located at mid-depth to deeper. But from '77 to 'mid-83, most of my detecting was handled my models from Garrett and Gold Mountain and a couple f other5s that operated at 15 kHz. That operating frequency still did well on the higher-conductive copper and silver coins, but also improved the performance on lower-conductive US 5¢ pieces and really helps with gold jewelry over those lower-end frequency models.

In July of '83 I made a change-over to using Tesoro models with the Inca to benefit from the slow-motion / quick-response performance that helped in trashier environments. Ghost towns, homesteads and other old-structure sites with abundant Iron Nails and other debris were then much more huntable .... with success. I did have other models that wowuld come and go that were usually a 6.59 kHz White's model that also worked well for a lot of my needs, but the bulk of them were Tesoro models that operated from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. Actually, they only made one model that used 15 kHz and that was the Golden Sabre Plus, but it shared search coils with the other popular Tesoro models at the time which were 10 kHz or 12 kHz.

I found high-conductive silver coins with the 19 kHz and 20 kHz models I have owned, as well as with the 5.5, 6.59 and 7.8 kHz detectors I liked, especially with a 6.59 White's XLT or XL Pro. But reflecting back over the time I have been using motion-based Discriminating models, I have enjoyed the best of success using a detector that worked between 10 kHz and 15 kHz. Looking back almost 30 years ago, in the early '90s, we had the short-lived Discovery Electronics bring out the Treasure Baron, another one of George Payne's engineering efforts, and George wrote up an article on why he selected the operating frequency he chose for the Treasure Baron.

He tried to find a 'happy medium' frequency that would be good for the lower-conductive US 5¢ piece as well as small, thin gold jewelry on up through the gold jewelry range which consists of different 'k' values, mixed alloys, and a wide range of sizes and shaped that would be similar to small, thin foil and on up through the Pull-Tab and into the aluminum Screw Cap range. But it also had to work well for the higher-conductive coins made or silver, comer and now a copper-plated Zinc cent. And what was that 'ideal' frequency George Payne determined for the Treasure Baron? It was 12.5 kHz.

There were things about the T.B. I didn't like, but the operating frequency satisfied me just fine. I considered the excellent results I had with my most-used detector models since the late '70s and especially from mid-'83 to that point in time, and most of those models were operating from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. That frequency range was just ± 2.5 kHz from the 1.5 George envisioned as an ultimate General Purpose frequency. I was satisfied with my in-the-field performance before that time, at that time, and if you look at my current Detector Outfit you'll see that it still pretty much holds to that trend.

Today, I have 8 units in my Detector Outfit that include a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that both operate at 10 kHz. A Nokta / Makro Simplex + that is 12 kHz. Two Nokta FORS CoRe devices that keep different coils mounted, and they operate at 15 kHz. To compliment them I have my Nokta FORS Relic at 19 kHz to give me a bit of an 'edge' in dense iron contaminated sites for unmasking abilities.

I have two other models and they are both the Minelab Vanquish 540 with different coils mounted. The 'mystery' as with most of the Minelab Simultaneous Multi-Frequency is knowing for sure what operating frequency, or frequencies, might be in use. They are never really clear on any of their Multi-Frequency models what is really at work, but my guess has the V-540 mainly working somewhere in that 10-15 kHz frequency range.

None-the-less, 10-15 kHz can provide very functional and very versatile performance range for a lot of different of hunting needs, and the Simplex + is right there at the heart of it at 12 kHz.

Joe in alabama
I have owned the R2..Impact Anfib ...I assume the Simplex has the same type DNA language/talk as the mentioned above...
With the Simplex being a 12 freq.thinking it might be the just what I need for my silver count.

I'm sure a question or two could come up from this line of thinking. The Simplex + does have some of the 'DNA family' of behavior, but in some ways I like it better than the Kruzer or Anfibio series. The Impact, from the time it was first released in early 2017, was really a model entry that offered consideration for those out chasing old silver coins, and the reason for that are the three selectable frequencies.

It turns-on in the default 14 kHz, which is right there in that 10 to 15 kHz range. And for some unmasking duty the user can select the 20 kHz frequency, and for those who want a little extra benefit on higher-conductive silver coins, they can opt for the lower 5 kHz frequency. Choices that go up 5 kHz or down 5 kHz from my favorite 10 to 15 kHz operating range. So the Nokta / Makro folks provide the option with the Impact and Simplex + of selecting one of three frequencies that span that range, or one model that's just about right in the middle. Just something to consider.

Joe in alabama
But I use a lot of smaller coils...Have read where there is smaller coils on the way for this detector..is that a definite?
I mainly hunt old home sites gone with time..but on occasion it will be a 50' to 60's date place with the normal alum problems.

And then you bring up search coils and that add two other ways to look at detector selection. On my current Outfit, I have an 'OOR' DD, a 5" DD and two 6" Concentric coils mounted on four models and ready-to-go. Those are my smaller-size coils. In the mid-size coils I have a 5X8 DD on a V-540 and a 5X9½ DD on a FORS CoRe. Currently, two models have a larger-size coil mounted. The 'standard' 11" DD on my Simplex + and 'standard' 9X12 DD on a V-540.

That will change this month, most likely, when they introduce some smaller-size Accessory Coils for the Simplex +. Depending on what particular coils they introduce and how they perform on the Simplex +, I know I will make one coil change and possibly one detector change. If they have a 5" DD that will most likely be a coil I mount for full-time duty. Depending on what other coils are offered, I just might also buy a 2nd Simplex + and keep each unit equipped with a different coil to complement each other and the rest of my 'team' of detectors.

A good 95% of my detecting time is spent in older-use areas and places with a rather high target-count and I need a good smaller-size coil combined with excellent detector performance to handle them well. The Simplex + has impressed me with what it could do using the 11" DD in wide-open grassy park environments, and while I liked the design and performance before, I like it even better with the recent updates and having the much improved 3-Tone Park 1 mode for trashier conditions. Really looking forward to some useful smaller-size coils to complement what the Simplex + has to offer. It's a very decent 12 kHz detector in my opinion.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 10:25AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Looking at the Simplex for coins

Joe in alabama 81 May 04, 2020 05:23AM

I have a Simplex + for coins, and really enjoy it.

Monte 75 May 04, 2020 10:14AM

Many Thanks Monte for taking the time..Going to order me a Simplex N/T

Joe in alabama 35 May 04, 2020 12:07PM

Just a couple of suggestions when you get your Simplex +.

Monte 72 May 04, 2020 01:35PM

Thanks for the info...Stay safe. hh. joe N/T

Joe in alabama 29 May 05, 2020 03:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018