Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bent coins - why do they register differently than when flat??? confused smiley

May 29, 2020 12:08PM
In the last week I've dug two bent clad quarters. One is significantly more bent than the other. Both registered as higher conductors than a quarter would normally register. Both times there were no other metal objects in the hole area.

I have been using my EQ800 with the 12x15 coil for field hunting with good results and am going to continue unless high trash makes pinpointing impossible. Hunting in Park1; 5 tones; sens at what EMI allows. Passing over the quarter that
is approx angled at 120 degrees gave a unwavering high tone, clear and pure indicating sterling, big silver, etc. Id # was 36 and it did not waver. I carefully dug it, not wanting to scratch a treasure, and recovered only a bent clad quarter.

The scenario was nearly duplicated a few days later. The second quarter registered the same quality of tone but with an id # of 34. Again, disappointment, but less disappointed because I had already seen the movie.

My question is why does the bend in a coin change its conductivity, or the way the signal is processed, and give a different signal that a flat coin? Does the bend in the coin allow two signal reflections off the coin?? I figured someone here will know.... .... or maybe knows who does.... any knowledge to share is welcomed.
Attachments:
open | download - bent 25c.-3216-01.1500.jpg (414.6 KB)
open | download - bent 25c.-3212-01.1085.jpg (186 KB)
open | download - bent 25c.-3213-01.920.jpg (84.5 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

Bent coins - why do they register differently than when flat??? confused smiley Attachments

Sodbuster 65 May 29, 2020 12:08PM

Bent coins - why do they register differently than when flat??? confused smiley

UtahRich 49 May 29, 2020 01:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018