Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Vista 'X'.

June 22, 2020 10:59PM avatar
Monte
Now, let's look at the easy-to-understand part of the Vista 'X' controls and operation:

In addition to the 7 control knobs, the 'X' also has a rocker-switch located at the rear of the battery housing opposite the headphone jack. It is the 'On' / 'Off' switch. Then there are two 3-position toggle switches, both on the under-side of the control housing and one on the left the other on the right of the centered rod. Both do exactly the same thing and the DeepTech folks thought that would be a useful way to serve both left-handers and right-handers. Well, it works, but personally I wish they would have just used one trigger-toggle and located it in the center, ahead of the foam hand-grip. That's my preference, but what they designed is workable.

The toggles are spring-loaded with a momentary position when pushed forward to activate the Alternate Disc. circuitry. When released, they spring back to the main-use center position which is for the primary Discriminate search mode. The toggle can be pulled to the rear which locks them in an All Metal mode and requires the operator to push them back forward to the center primary Disc. search position.

Monte

Let me begin by saying . . . IN MY OPINION, commonly used controls should be in a position where they are easily reached with natural hand movements. The Dual Toggle Switches are in the wrong place. Let me rephrase that. Neither toggle is in the correct position. There should be 1 control toggle ahead of the grip in a 'trigger type' position that is equally easy for a righty or lefty to operate.

Can't be done ? Pretty sure the Fisher 1265/66-X had it right and if not perfect, certainly infinitely better positioned than this current version of the X. Deal killer or no? For me, YES. I can't imagine just a few hours of running a machine like the X and constantly contorting my hand to operate the toggle. My wrist aches thinking about it.

I was following the announcement on the Findmall forum that the Vista X was coming. When the picture was posted with a description of the 2 toggles, I went UGH! NOOOOOOOOOO ! What were they thinking? To operate the misplaced toggle that should be at the tip of my finger, I have to loosen my grasp on the grip, bend my wrist around backward, work my hand into an unnatural position so my index finger can push or pull the toggle in the needed direction. Sorry guys, it is just all wrong. eye popping smiley

How many times do i use a toggle switch to pinpoint, size and investigate a possible target in just a 30 minute stretch in old park or school? My hand / wrist ache thinking about it. Calling it like it is.

I think I would rather put an old CZ-5/6 back into service with the push button pinpoint that wasn't so optimal either. That too was a bit of a twist of the hand to get the thumb just right for pinpointing (being a lefty). But with that setup, I was only pressing. With the set up on the X, I have to both press and pull the toggle with the hand in an awkward position. More uncomfortable.

That said. I have no problem if it works for everybody else in the world EXCEPT me. If that's the case, great for everybody else, I'm left out. To those of you that have one and love it, i look forward to seeing your posts / finds pictures.

Best of luck in the field.

Rich -

Edit - Dual Disc - Monte, in the US I think there was a thought of setting 1 disc low and the next at the breaking point of a common pull tab. If the target came in above the base discrimination point (likely iron) then it was a consideration. If the target clicked / sputtered or whatever at the second disc point, it was 'likely' a pull tab and could be left behind. If it was gone at the second point it was lower than pulltab in the nickel or foil / ring area. It it was clean above the 2nd point, it was likely a US coin.

π

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 11:09PM by UtahRich.
Attachments:
open | download - 1266X.jpg (42.9 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

Vista X

D&P-OR 86 June 20, 2020 01:25PM

► ► Time for a quick evaluation report on the Vista 'X'.

Monte 90 June 22, 2020 05:18AM

Re: ► ► Time for a quick evaluation report on the Vista 'X'.

WM6 48 June 24, 2020 01:29AM

The Vista 'X'. Attachments

UtahRich 55 June 22, 2020 10:59PM

I agree with both you and Sven.

Monte 39 June 23, 2020 05:20AM

Re: The Vista 'X'.

SvenS 37 June 23, 2020 02:58AM

Kind of like adjusting to the Simplex + pinpoint button over on the left. N/T

Monte 23 June 23, 2020 07:54AM

D&P-OR 38 June 22, 2020 10:52PM

I wasn't terribly interested either ... until I tried it.

Monte 45 June 23, 2020 05:09AM

Druid 54 June 22, 2020 10:50AM

SvenS 40 June 22, 2020 06:09PM

'Thank You,' and yes, it can be a useful tool in the nasty iron environments ... w/5.7 DD. N/T

Monte 25 June 23, 2020 05:32AM

Druid 30 June 22, 2020 06:20PM

Drew, SS arrives Wed. --- Ghost Town Hunt Thursday.thumbs up N/T

Monte 34 June 22, 2020 12:23PM

Re: Drew, SS arrives Wed. --- Ghost Town Hunt Thursday.thumbs up

Druid 44 June 22, 2020 03:00PM

Del, I had two to use for evalauation. I'll post later today.

Monte 67 June 21, 2020 05:09AM

Re: Del, I had two to use for evalauation. I'll post later today.

D&P-OR 46 June 21, 2020 12:37PM

D&P-OR 47 June 21, 2020 11:11AM

Kickindirt 51 June 21, 2020 11:26AM

SvenS 51 June 21, 2020 09:00AM

Druid 41 June 21, 2020 09:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018