Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When it comes to the Etrac / CTX-3030 Vs XLT ... You're quite correct, Rich.

June 28, 2020 02:00AM avatar
UtahRich
Del,

As good as the Etrac / CTX are at finding silver coins, you still have to get the driver behind the controls - and I don't think you would have got Monte behind the controls of either the Etrac or CTX, at least while he was hunting. NBT's are a different matter. thumbs up While the XLT certainly has a good number of adjustments that are possible, Monte has it down pat. The FBS machines are a different beast. And they sing a different song as well. One that I don't think Monte cares for. (my opinion)

Rich -

I know what the FBS models can do, having owned and used several Explorer II's and an Explorer SE Pro.

I liked them for performance in a number of urban-type search scenarios, but I also learned their weaknesses along with some strengths and, when it comes to working some very high iron trash content sites, there are much better performers. I know the XLT well because it is really a basic or simple unit .. if you ignore any over-adjusting of the unnecessary features. Also, I used the 6½" Concentric coil the bulk of the time, and my successful hunts last year with the XLT easily fell into the dense-trash / iron-content category.

You're 100% correct, too, when you stated the FBS models are a different beast, and by that, to me, it confirms a weakness they have to hunt in and around the very dense sections that abound in heavy iron litter. Nails, machinery parts, cut fencing, and all manner of ferrous trash, with much of it in close proximity. Definitely, not a strong point for the FBS Minelab's to tackle.

Also some challenging conditions for a moderate-sweep XLT to concur, but with a 6½" Concentric coil the advantage is in its favor over the BBS and FBS series units. I know the XLT pretty well and in many site environments I can milk decent performance out of it with my 'Bushwhack' settings, putting it in a general performance category between those Minelab devices and many others, and the top-performing units like a Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD or Relic w/5" DD (if we are considering detectors with visual TID).

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vista 'X' / Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Whites XLT thinking - yes again

WM6 77 June 24, 2020 11:26PM

WM6 ... A reply for you and anyone curious. ... Monte and the XLT.

Monte 54 June 25, 2020 05:31AM

I'll be getting my 35th XLT shortly. -- (Updted to correct what I forgot to add.)

Monte 43 June 27, 2020 04:40AM

I'll be getting my 35th XLT shortly.

D&P-OR 44 June 27, 2020 09:08AM

Del, that might apaply if I was hunting grassu urban parks, however - - - -

Monte 23 June 27, 2020 07:29PM

Etrac, CTX3030 | XLT

UtahRich 31 June 27, 2020 07:02PM

When it comes to the Etrac / CTX-3030 Vs XLT ... You're quite correct, Rich.

Monte 20 June 28, 2020 02:00AM

Re: Etrac, CTX3030 | XLT

D&P-OR 19 June 27, 2020 09:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018