Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Way-to-go! Always good to re-hunt potential sites.

June 28, 2020 03:58AM avatar
Dan'o
I was able to get back out to the 1940's home again this morning. That little yard just keeps on giving!

One silver and 3 Wheaties for about 2 hours work.
I always enjoy getting access to old homesites.thumbs up

Through the years I would live or take vacations 'back home' to Ogden, Utah and have had some success getting permissions to hunt a few of places I had lived when I was 1½ to 10 years old, as well as my grandparent's home that was built in 1941. I'd take my time with a good slow-motion detector with Quick-Response and Fast-Recovery and was always satisfied with the number of older coins I managed to find. I always enjoy hunting yards and other active-use places that date from the '40s on back. It seems like a lot of those places used during the first four decades of the last century had a higher quantity of coins, to include quite a few silvers in the mix.

Dan'o
The Quarter was found while using the Nokta Fors Relic in Di3 , sens at 94, ID mask at 0 with the 9x7 coil next to the front walk at no more than 4".
Taking my time along sidewalks, driveways and other areas adjacent to cement that had much different mineralization properties or sometimes rebar, using a small-size or mid-size search coil and a model that provided a very quick-response and very good audio report worked in my favor. Sure helped nab some of the coins and other interesting non-ferrous targets that were tougher to get.. For those tasks my CoRe has served me well for 5½ years and my Relic for the past 4½ years, and prior to that the bulk of my finds were made with a favorite Tesoro or a modified White's Classic ID or IDX Pro..

On both my CoRe and Relic in Di3 (3-Tone) mode, I have my Sensitivity set at '99' and in Di2 (2-Tone) I have it saved to start up at '95' Sensitivity and seldom have to change it. But you lost me on the search coil choice. I mainly use the smaller 5' DD in really dense trash, and my mid-size coil choice is the Nokta open-frame 5X9½ DD. Early on they also had a solid coil in either 5½X10 in either Double-D or Concentric design. Were you using one of the Nokta search coils or an after-market coil? I know you had the 5X9½ open-frame DD, but I'm not aware of any 9X7 coil for the Relic.

Dan'o
The Wheaties were found with the Nokta Simplex+ in Field 2 with max sens, iron volume on 2. They were all in the same hole with a lower than normal reading in the 50's at about 4.5" - 5".
Another Nokta / Makro device that I really like, and I now own two of them. I only used the Park mode (3-Tone) around picnic bowery areas and such which were trashier on my early version Simplex + w/11" DD for the first six months of owning it. That mode is now labeled Park 2 with the 2.76 and 2.77 updates and I much prefer using the new Park 1 (3-Tone) mode for Coin Hunting trashier places. Difficult to hunt with the bigger-size stock 11" DD coil, but the Simplex + does fairly well with that big, round coil.

In the more open areas, like out in the open center area of big grassy parks or other lower-target places, I use either the Field or Beach mods (both of mine are set up for 2-Tone mode operation) and while I favor the Non-VCO enhanced Beach mode audio the best, the VCO-enhanced Field mode does get me just a tiny-bit extra detection depth. Minimal, but it's there at times.

But the Simplex + only has one Field mode so you lost me saying Field 2.confused smiley

On all of my Discriminate modes with my two Simplex + devices, I have the turn-on Sensitivity saved at maximum and reduce it as needed. Right now all my Disc. modes are saved with NO notch segment rejection so I am accepting everything. In Field mode and both Park 1 and Park 2, I have my Iron Volume saved at '1'. The Beach mode doesn't have manual Disc. control for the first three Disc. segments covering the Ferrous range, nor does it provide Iron Volume adjustment for those segments. I wish it did both with another update to make the Simplex + a more versatile device.

Anyway, I typically favor the Beach mode which uses the mid-tone of the 3-Tone Park mode as the High-Tone audio report w/o VCO audio, but when Iron nails or other ferrous gets to be too plentiful and annoying, I opt for Field mode to take advantage of the Iron Volume adjustment. Sure a lot of mode selections and functional adjustments in this very affordable detector.smiling smiley

Dan'o
Looking forward to putting one of the smaller coils on the Simplex+ and seeing how it works. The stock coil is just too big for some of the fringe areas in most yards.
The round 8½" DD coil they are introducing might be a nice choice for some who would like a smaller-than 11" size, but I think the 5X9½ DD elliptical coil will be my pick to keep mounted full-time on one of my Simplex devices. I am holding out hope that they will also make a round 5" DD for the Simplex +, and might if there are enough requests for a smaller-size coil. It's really needed for working the very densely littered sites like the ghost towns I most often frequent.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vista 'X' / Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Quick hunt at 1940's house Attachments

Dan'o 58 June 27, 2020 01:20PM

Re: Quick hunt at 1940's house

Goondock 18 June 30, 2020 10:31AM

Goondock 16 June 30, 2020 10:30AM

Way-to-go! Always good to re-hunt potential sites.

Monte 36 June 28, 2020 03:58AM

Re: Way-to-go! Always good to re-hunt potential sites.

Dan'o 22 June 28, 2020 07:26AM

Happens to me from time-to-time, too.

Monte 23 June 28, 2020 12:07PM

OregonGregg 22 June 27, 2020 08:39PM

Dan'o 15 June 27, 2020 10:06PM

Kickindirt 19 June 27, 2020 05:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018