Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Likes and dislikes about being 'colorful.'

August 23, 2020 05:57AM avatar
Some of us, many probably, have some favorite colors we like when selecting a new car or truck, or to paint a house. But how about metal detectors? In the earlier period of metal detectors we saw a lot of rods that were aluminum gray or some used an anodized gold color. Control housings, mostly made of metal, were also of a selected color. You had the blue box color White's used, and there were differences in the shade of Compass green and Garrett green. Some used metal housings of uncolored aluminum, while most painted their housings some shade they liked, with many choosing a different shade of blur or green, and there were a lot of them in a yellow-gold sort of color. We also had some painted red, or something in a reddish / purplish sort of color like the Pillar Reale.

This was universally, but it seemed like more of the USA produced detectors fell in this group of colorful offerings, but then the bulk of detectors seemed to come from here. Then in the '80s, especially the latter '80s and on to today, we saw a lot of changes being made. We moved from full-length metal rods to the middle and upper being metal and the lower rods of a non-metal type, and most of those lower rods were black. Then the middle rods and most of the upper rods also transitioned to black.

Control housings also saw a change from the metal housing, that was usually painted with a painted-on logo or a sticker decal logo, to a plastic housing. A lot of that change was to a black plastic housing and the applied decals used white or were a white or black lettering with a silver or gold colored background. For a while it seemed like all of the control housings were done in black plastic with colorful decals, and combined with black rods. Other than a decal here or there, it was an all-black detector housing / rod design.

All of that concept might have been fitting for someone like Johnny Cash, the man in black, but I'm a colorful individual, and that carries over to my likes and dislikes of a product's color and appearance. Some things are difficult to change, such as my all-black White's XLT with the control housing riveted to the rod, or my Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi or Simplex +. The Minelab Equinox is the same way and similar models with black housings and rod sets.

The White's MX-7 used a Bengal-Orange upper rod and black middle rod, but I got my middle rods powder-coated Bengal -orange to match the upper rod and that made it a more colorful and attractive looking unit. My Nokta FORS CoRe upper and middle rods were the basic flat black and I had them powder-coated an 'Edge Red', and my FORS Relic units powder-coated an 'Edge-Blue' which makes them both 'colorful' and they stand out from the stock appearance. My Minelab Vanquish 540 does have black rods, but the control, housing and arm-cup are red and that makes a nice colorful contrast. Naturally my two favorite Tesoro's have the dark brown housings and their gold anodized rods.

I was asked this week why I like the Teknetics T2+ more than the T2 SE Ltd. and the answer was simple. The T2+ has virtually the same performance, but it is in the original Teknetics T2 'green' color and not black. The original T2 was green for the upper rod and arm-cup but they went to black for the SE Ltd. Then they brought out the T2 'Classic' about six years ago and it was back to the original dark green color and thy kept the T2+ the same. I liked the T2 green color a lot more than a 'standard' black.

I just thought I'd ramble a bit about things I have enjoyed about the metal detector industry, and one of those was liking to see all the different and colorful models we used to have, and admiring those that are more colorful in production today. I enhanced some of my own detectors to be colored and different, and that made me curious as to how many hobbyists are content with the basic black approach, or who like more colorful detectors? How many do not like certain colors, and what those colors might be, or what might be something folks would like to see in the future?

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte 144 August 23, 2020 05:57AM

Re: Likes and dislikes about being 'colorful.'

Kickindirt 63 August 25, 2020 10:34AM

Yes, Kinkindirt, the colors can get me "In the mood."

Monte 75 August 25, 2020 10:46AM

jmaryt 64 August 25, 2020 05:26AM

Sodbuster 66 August 24, 2020 11:35AM

WM6 66 August 23, 2020 09:35PM

Timbertodd 61 August 23, 2020 05:24PM

OregonGregg 71 August 23, 2020 04:31PM

D&P-OR 58 September 01, 2020 08:21AM

OregonGregg 55 September 01, 2020 09:45AM

D&P-OR 54 September 01, 2020 11:19AM

GeoW 60 August 24, 2020 09:57AM

Dan'o 68 August 23, 2020 06:48AM

Re: Likes and dislikes about being 'colorful.' Attachments

SvenS 92 August 23, 2020 01:18PM

UtahRich 55 August 24, 2020 11:26AM

Re: Likes and dislikes about being 'colorful.' Attachments

SvenS 71 August 24, 2020 05:01PM

Druid 47 August 26, 2020 05:53PM

I will have to visit your mirage handiwork,

UtahRich 51 August 24, 2020 11:32PM

I like the Garrett version.thumbs up

Monte 66 August 24, 2020 06:03PM

Re: I like the Garrett version.thumbs up Attachments

SvenS 68 August 24, 2020 06:57PM

Re: I like the Garrett version.thumbs up

Druid 49 August 26, 2020 05:55PM

I like your approach with the Relic Magnum housing.

Monte 52 August 25, 2020 06:04AM

The Black Version would do, I like the Red housing, but I am especially partial to that shade of Blue.thumbs up N/T

Monte 52 August 24, 2020 09:50AM

Druid 63 August 23, 2020 03:59PM

WM6 62 August 24, 2020 05:23AM

Dan'o, thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

Monte 65 August 23, 2020 12:55PM

functional over looks anyday

dixiedigger57 61 August 25, 2020 06:37AM

How I see things -

UtahRich 55 August 25, 2020 06:58AM

Hey Rich i want a shiny mint Mercedes.. but

dixiedigger57 56 August 25, 2020 07:55AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020