Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bottle Caps -- Detector & coil decisions based on site opportunities.

August 24, 2020 05:58PM avatar
Bottle Cps .... A significant trash problem for some sites, and for many detectors in use.

For me, I have always preferred to pick-and-choose the detector and coil I use at Bottle Cap infested sites. That decision is made based on how a particular metal detector performs / handles Bottle Caps, but especially on the site type, likely old-coin potential, and mainly on how often I might have the opportunity to search a specific site. I'll add to that the 'competition' I am dealing with at such a site. Here are some examples, along with my mental approach (aka strategy) to put the advantage for success in my corner.

► Any typical park picnic bowery, sports field sidelines and refreshment area, or other common, local, easy-access location near me that I can search at any time. Bottle Caps are there and have been for a while, and are likely to continue to be discarded in the area from time-to-time.

My choice is usually ANY detector and search coil can work because my efforts will be to remove the trash, all trash, as I hunt the site in order to find all of the good targets in the depth-range of the trash that are masked or partially masked. Also, this will clean the site up, slow-but-sure, so that masking junk will be gone and I can then hunt for any deeper and potentially older good targets.

I can still use my EPR techniques to ignore most potential Bottle Cap type trash if my hunt-time is limited, or if I'm just not-in-the-mood. We can have those days. Then on a future jaunt to the area I can remove more junk.

► Locations I encounter that will likely be a 'one-time' search opportunity. I've travelled to places with good sports fields, or with out-of-the-way picnic areas or other gathering places such as near a river / water body, an old sports field or long out-of-use playground areas, etc. I have an opportunity to hunt them at that time, but then I'll be travelling on and likely never to return (unless they turn out to be a lucrative producer) so I don't want to spend the time removing annoying trash for the 'locals' benefit, or others who might also happen upon the place.

In these types of situations I will definitely use my EPR techniques and only go after potentially favorable targets based on the audio response and visual TID / VDI response. Also, I might grab one of my detector-and-coil combinations that do a nice job of handling a good portion of the Bottle Caps. Today, that would be my White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil to take advantage of the Bottle Cap Reject feature it has, or my Minelab Vanquish 540 with the 5X8 DD coil. It has an edge because the default Iron Bias design is a High setting, and it was made that way to help most Coin Hunters better handle the Bottle Cap type junk.

The modern detectors that feature an adjustment labeled Iron Bias were not the first on the market with this function because several White's models, like the XLT, featured the setting called Bottle Cap Eject which was, I guess you could say, the fore-runner to the latest Iron Bias function. Different names but thinking along the same lines. The big difference is that more of the modern detectors with that adjustment feature are more of a digital circuitry design and, with everything else in their design, they just don't work the same, or as well in my opinion, as the XLT 'family' that have BCR.

Also of note is that while I might use the 5X8 DD on the V-540, that would likely be the largest coil range I'd use with any detector hunting such a place on a one-time opportunity. A lot of trash, such as Bottle caps, calls for using a smaller-size coil to work in and around any obstacles as well as good and bad targets. Thus, the end of my rod would sport something like a 5" or 6" or possibly a 7" round coil, up to a mid-size in the 5X8 / 5X9½ size. Nothing larger.

► Any hunt opportunity at an older-use site with good-target potential, but a likely heavy amount of Bottle Caps ... AND ... it is an opportunity when I am up against some also-present 'competition!' This has happened a couple of times to me when I had to put my search technique and audible classification skills to work. It could have been at other types of sites, but in two I can relate to it was a One-Time Club Outing with permission, for that one-time access, for the group of attendees to search old Picnic Groves. The locations had been popular especially during the Depression Era and on to maybe a decade after the end of WW-II, and then they slowly declined over the next 5 to 10 years when silver coins were regular pocket-carry and they had an abundance of activity back then. Very frequent, and it was Bottle Cap era and virtually no pull-tabs or bigger-size discarded foil, and no discarded cans.

At both of those I can guarantee you I used EPR exclusively to eliminate going after Bottle Caps just to concentrate on old-coin targets. At the first old Picnic Grove resort site, a good ways west of Portland Oregon, I wanted to confirm the audio responses on the first two 'suspects' and they were both Bottle Caps. That was it. The rest of the day I ignored any likely BC and only recovered one more that was buried a bit deeper than a typical depth (surface to 3"-4") due to leafage build-up and such near a tree. If I recall it was down about 6" and too deep to easily classify it. That's generally going to be achievable on 3" and shallower BC's but in some ground to maybe 4".

• Thus, ANY of my detectors and coils can work in Bottle Cap littered sites, and I favor a smaller to mid-size search coil.

• I do have two models that provide me an 'edge' when and where I want to take advantage of it to help classify or ignore Bottle Caps.

• My primary goal is to clean a particular location out of any offending trash, ferrous or non-ferrous, so I'll typically recover most BC's in the area.

• If I am not in the mood, or if it is a One-Time opportunity or a challenge to find the most when up against other on-site detectorists, I'll also use EPR techniques to leave trash behind and more-or-less 'cherry-pick' the better targets I am able to isolate.

Just some food for thought for those who, like me, don't like Bottle Caps. Set your mind as to where you want to recover them for your own future benefit, or pick the places where you want to try and 'classify' them and ignore going after them.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

heeeeellllpppp! Monte, what am i doing wrong with the SimplEx? Attachments

dixiedigger57 118 August 23, 2020 07:29AM

I like Monte's fact/fiction response

zincoln 70 August 24, 2020 08:27AM

just may have to change coils.

dixiedigger57 63 August 24, 2020 12:50PM

dixiedigger57, quick comments about coils.

Monte 66 August 24, 2020 01:18PM

Re: dixiedigger57, quick comments about coils.

SvenS 55 August 24, 2020 04:43PM

Re: just may have to change coils.

OregonGregg 58 August 24, 2020 01:00PM

Re: heeeeellllpppp! Monte, what am i doing wrong with the SimplEx?

WM6 62 August 23, 2020 10:00PM

DD coils love rusty beer bottle caps, your Tesoro with a concentric coil would be better thumbs up N/T

Hombre 54 August 23, 2020 05:11PM

Truth and fiction regarding search coil types

Monte 73 August 23, 2020 06:14PM

Re: heeeeellllpppp! Monte, what am i doing wrong with the SimplEx?

OregonGregg 72 August 23, 2020 04:49PM

It's not just the Simplex plus that has trouble.sad smiley

Monte 75 August 23, 2020 01:19PM

have noticed coil differences

dixiedigger57 60 August 24, 2020 06:36AM

Re: have noticed coil differences

OregonGregg 62 August 24, 2020 07:19AM

Have noticed sound differences -

UtahRich 51 August 24, 2020 11:33AM

Crown Capsi

UtahRich 80 August 23, 2020 11:48AM

Bottle Caps -- Detector & coil decisions based on site opportunities.

Monte 60 August 24, 2020 05:58PM

Re: Crown Capsi

Sodbuster 59 August 23, 2020 06:24PM

Re: Crown Capsi

Dan'o 68 August 23, 2020 01:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020