Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich, I was also waiting to hear Dan's reply, but here are my observations.

September 06, 2020 11:03AM avatar
Dan posted while I was busing slow-typing my response and on two phone calls. I just read his and have to agree.

UtahRich
How are you getting along without any 'visual' indicators when you're hunting? Is the audio enough for you?
Teknetics and Tesoro. One introduced Target ID with their CoinComputer in 1983, and the other brought us the Inca and their slow-motion, Quick-Response and Fast-Recovery non-display models that same year. So just looking back over the past 37 years of avid detecting, I have used Target ID detectors from most major manufacturers, and in my preset Detector Outfit all of them offer visual Target ID with the exception of two Tesoro's and the Vista X.

The first 30 of those 37 years I found about 90% off all my coins and trade tokens and good jewelry using a non-display Tesoro That was for a few reasons, such as their light weight, quick response & recovery, and ability to work well in a dense array of iron nails and other debris. Also, because of their audio response, and I believe part of that audio quality is due to their analog circuitry design compared with so many current offerings being more of a digital circuitry design.

For ME, I can get along just fine in most places I hunt with a Tesoro, Vista X or other non-display model as long as their performance qualities and audio are up to the task.... and the Vista X is. Good clear audio response, and a very functional 2-Tone design.

UtahRich
Do you recover a lot of deep rusty nails you thought would be coins?
I don't. Oh, anyone is going to get fools from time-to-time with any detector, but I worked the Vista X in a few challenging sites with ample Iron trash to compare its performance and make use of the 2-Tone audio with the Disc./Tone Break set to just knock out typical Iron nails. Then I checked it against a few different modern units with viable Target ID. The Vista X seemed to be less 'fooled' by older rusty nails. Again, it might be due to a more analog circuitry vs a mostly digital circuitry.

UtahRich
Which coil(s) have you been using?
I've only used the stock octagon-shaped DD and the smaller 5¾" DD, favoring the smaller coil the most due to the dense amount of trash. by the way, the DeepTech folks call the small Vista X coil a 5.7", but when I measured, it was close enough to 5¾" that I use that description. I prefer it to the decimal description.

UtahRich
And what are you're thoughts about the X's separation and depth?
Separation? If we are talking about 'separation' of closely-positioned non-ferrous targets, it is faster than the Teknetics t2+ w/5" DD coil I have 'separation test stick' which is 7 nickel-size Trade Tokens sandwiched between two 12" wooden paint sticks. The first one is half-off the sticks with the '0' mark running through the center f the token, and the 7th trade token is position so the 12" mark also run through the center of the token. The other 5 tokens are positioned so their center is at the 2", 4", 6", 8" and 10" marks. Most of those tokens are the higher-conductive copper/brass type and one of them has a lower-conductive reading comparable with a 5¢ coin.

Anyone can get 7 trade tokens of similar size and shape (round) and conductivity, 2 wooden paint sticks, then make their own 'separation test strip' and try all their detectors to see how well they can separate those non-ferrous targets with centers just 2" apart. Try different detectors and different coils, and work them as close as necessary to get a good hit on each target. if a coil is raised to maybe 4"-5" the odds are you might only get 2 or 3 hits when sweeping this array of close targets.

UtahRich
Now that you have some hours on it, how is the build quality and overall ergonomics?
Build quality is very good. I also think they used sort of a 'lazy S' bend for the grip and wish it was just a wee bit more abrupt, but it is usable as-is. The standard coil really is a well-balanced coil, but the 5¾" DD is the size I prefer for any quick-grab hunting I would use the Vista X for, and the rod-mount location on the search coils is also very good. If anything, the ONLY real complaint I have is the twin or dual trigger-toggles. Awkward location if you use them often, and a single, center-positioned toggle would have been my preference.

Otherwise, the Vista X is a very nice package that offers a lot of performance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

My last couple of outings Attachments

Dan'o 115 September 05, 2020 01:30PM

Congrats! Glad to hear you got out hunting with the Vista X.thumbs up N/T

Monte 47 September 06, 2020 09:14AM

Vista X time

UtahRich 65 September 05, 2020 11:30PM

Rich, I was also waiting to hear Dan's reply, but here are my observations.

Monte 66 September 06, 2020 11:03AM

Re: Vista X time

Dan'o 65 September 06, 2020 09:55AM

Thanks for the feedback. thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 45 September 06, 2020 07:51PM

Re: My last couple of outings

Kickindirt 64 September 05, 2020 04:14PM

Timbertodd 59 September 05, 2020 04:14PM

OregonGregg 58 September 05, 2020 04:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020