Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troy Custom's Shadow X-2 'Coin Check' adjustment.

September 08, 2020 08:42AM avatar
First to the Coin Check Trimmer: Yes, the elongated pot on the back of the face-plate with the screw on the end is the correct trimmer.

Adjustment Reminder: I mention this in case someone else wants to adjust their Shadow X2. I know people had a problem making a working adjustment because while trying to hold the face-plate steady and also working a small, thin screwdriver with the other hand, they forgot to press and hold the Coin Check 'button.' If it's not pressed for this momentary-use feature, all the turning done is a waste of time. Remember to press and hold the Coin Check 'button' when adjusting the trimmer.

Understanding the US 1¢ Coin Composition and Conductivity: Most of the US 1¢ coins were made primarily of Copper with the exception of the 1943 Steel Cent, and those from WW-II when they used Shell casings. In 1982 they still minted some of the 95% 'Copper' 1¢ coins and also introduced us to that crappy 97.5% Zinc 1¢. From then to the present they have been the Zinc 1¢.

If selecting a 1¢ coin for a 'sample' of a Copper or Zinc, if it is a 1982 be careful because they made both types that year.

Most of the small Cent coins since part of 1864 and on to part of 1982 were a mix of 95% Copper and 5% Tin and Zinc or just 5% Zinc so, 'in theory' most of the small US 1¢ coins should be in the same conductivity range .... but they aren't. A lot of the reason is related to the source of the mined Copper, and also to the foundry processing as some of the Copper was of a lower grade or quality. Because of that, most Indian Head 1¢ and many of the early Wheat-Back 1¢ coins have a lower conductivity level re are very similar to a modern Zinc 1¢.

Therefore, the Coin Check function was designed for working relatively newer sites with both mixes of coin make-up, and u used to help eliminate the recovery of the low-grade and often pitted modern Zinc coin. So be sure to use a modern Zinc metal 1¢ coin to properly adjust the Coin Check trimmer. With the button depressed, adjust it to 'just barely' knock out the Zinc coin and not any higher. Just remember that some or many, or maybe even most Indian Head's and very early Wheat-Back's up to about 1920 might also be rejected due to their lower conductivity level. Yes, some will read higher, but if I'm in an old-enough location to have Indian Head's, I would never use the Coin Check or ignore the Zinc Cent VDI on a metered display model.

I hope this helps, trust you'll get it adjusted properly, and wish you the best of success on your next trip afield.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Troy X-2 Adjustment help needed.

dixiedigger57 64 September 08, 2020 05:59AM

Troy Custom's Shadow X-2 'Coin Check' adjustment.

Monte 52 September 08, 2020 08:42AM

Thanks Monte thats the way it was

dixiedigger57 46 September 08, 2020 09:14AM

Re: Thanks Monte thats the way it was

UtahRich 42 September 08, 2020 03:17PM

Yes, I only used coin check with a Shadow X2 in a modern Park with a lot of modern Zinc pennies . N/T

Monte 37 September 08, 2020 03:04PM

looking at indian heads,, see what you mean

dixiedigger57 50 September 11, 2020 07:28AM

Good story, and very good detectors to use.

Monte 46 September 11, 2020 09:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020