Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good story, and very good detectors to use.

September 11, 2020 09:36AM avatar
dixiedigger57
I got a list of years/compositions or supposedly what they were. kind of like gold.. 14 k can be 13.5 k or more. 14 kP does not mean plated, it means PLUMB which is 14K or better. my jeweler friend used to send in tons of melt marked same thing and it never assayed out exactly 14k or whatever grade it was marked-10 or 18 or 21k.

i set the machine back the way it was , its slightly scratchy on a zinc with correct swing speed. but man . in those crown tops on the old picnic area--its great.. sail right over them. this small strip between the pines had about 20 picnic tables and i have cleaned the silver out to the capabilities of my machines over the last several years. each table had a crown cap bottle opener on the end- and there they left the caps for the most part. rusty now. . i have gridded this to death. the only concern is a 100 yr flood in 1994 silted this place in. when you dig down a fairly good hole you see the silted layer.. and it varies. i waded chest deep water with the owners son to retieve stuff from two dwellings on the lake. so i know there are out of reach targets still. there are rooten 1970s zing pulltabs and before, a few modern from kids camp, but i only see trash targets .. from the pro and MXt . its been fun. i am hoping running the shadow wide open no disc i can eak out a few more.

Both the Garrett AT Pro and White's MXT can provide good in-the-field performance, and when you have some old picnic sites to hunt, especially older one, the finds can be very satisfying.thumbs up But even though my current working battery of detectors include one Garrett, four Nokta / Makro, one Minelab and two White's models, it wouldn't be a complete outfit if I didn't have my two Tesoro's. There's something about the non-display, single-tone yet efficient performance they provide that adds an element of 'fun' to my hunting, especially how they handle so many densely-littered modern sites.

There are many newcomers to this great sport who are not familiar with the short-lived Troy Custom detectors like their first, the Shadow X2 you refer to. I highlighted your closing comment so I can clarify to readers a bit about the Shadow X2. It was made for Troy Custom by Tesoro Electronics and is basically their Silver Sabre µMAX (pronounced microMAX) with two small changes. The Threshold adjustment was relocated to a trimmer inside the control housing, and an additional pushbutton was added labeled 'Coin Check'. The trimmer for that was intended to be set for a momentary check to eject the modern Zinc 1¢ which is lower-conductive that the copper 1¢ coin it replaced in '82.

But it uses the same ED-120 Discrimination circuitry so if it is set at the minimum setting, which would be "wide-open" as in no additional Disc. adjustment, it is still not accepting all metal targets. That would be their ED-180 circuitry design. The ED-120, at the minimum setting, would be low, but enough rejection to Discriminate mot ferrous trash.

Both of my Tesoro's, the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX use the ED-120 Disc. circuitry and they are very reliable performers, serving me well in just the types of old-use sites you refer to. All the best in your searches, and let's hope some of the dimes and quarters you encounter were minted 56 years ago or older. Silver is always a nice color to find.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Troy X-2 Adjustment help needed.

dixiedigger57 60 September 08, 2020 05:59AM

Troy Custom's Shadow X-2 'Coin Check' adjustment.

Monte 51 September 08, 2020 08:42AM

Thanks Monte thats the way it was

dixiedigger57 43 September 08, 2020 09:14AM

Re: Thanks Monte thats the way it was

UtahRich 41 September 08, 2020 03:17PM

Yes, I only used coin check with a Shadow X2 in a modern Park with a lot of modern Zinc pennies . N/T

Monte 36 September 08, 2020 03:04PM

looking at indian heads,, see what you mean

dixiedigger57 47 September 11, 2020 07:28AM

Good story, and very good detectors to use.

Monte 44 September 11, 2020 09:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020