Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comments about your MXT and Apex experiences.

September 27, 2020 01:05AM avatar
Timbertodd
My only success has been with my MXT and small coil. This is hitting river banks that are composed of grit up to cobble sized rocks.
I got an 'original' MXT when they were released about 20 years ago and I liked the general-purpose performance. I mainly used the smaller, round 6½" Concentric coil because it worked well for my primary hunt-sites. Those were typically very littered ghost towns, old dancehall sites, stage stops and RR depot and siding locations, and back then I did more freshwater beach hunting on rivers and impoundments that were associated with logging camps and mining camps I also hunted.

Your description of "river banks that are composed of grit up to cobble sized rocks" is exactly what I was referring to in the way of small earthly material that is often encountered on some freshwater beaches, or in old sites that might be in the woods or desert or other undeveloped areas. Sometimes it is just a loose and porous 'dirt' material (like you could add water and make mud), or it might be an earthen material that is more like pulverized rocks and such that would be the loose 'gritty' type smaller rocks or pebbles .... the rough gritty stuff. That's what I will often encounter when hunting an old river beach or some other freshwater lake or impoundment.

But 'cobble stone' or 'cobble rock' as you stated can include laager-size rocks that are often 'flattish' such as the 'Homestead' Rock' I used to use to simulate an 'IMB' for detector evaluations and training. The material I was referring to in my post to describe some 'IMB' challenges were the gritty size material and up-to ½" to 2" size smaller rocks that would be covering an area, such as a parking lot or even some decorative ground cover to cover bare dirt . Able to be walked on, but not the size that would cause imbalance or potential tripping.

Most of the time, when encountering highly mineralized black sand on a freshwater beach or in maintained urban areas like in some tot-lots or volleyball courts, the White's MXT 'series' could handle it reasonably well. When very mineralized and on up to include a solid 'IMB' such as fist-size rocks to a 'Homestead Rock' to build a wall, I used proper settings and the MXT series could usually provide an audible 'hit' to investigate. But that was often a lower-tone audible response that would be near the ferrous / non-ferrous break-point or down lower into the Iron Audio and VDI range. That alerted me something was under the rock, so that would be a rock I would then move to re-scan the ground under it.

I liked the MXT because it incorporated a 3-filter type circuitry design and performed similar to the first of that type, the Compass Electronics 'Scanner' series that came out a dozen or so years before in '87/'88. After using a prototype for a couple of weeks that was then enhanced by Carl Moreland and was then produced as the MXT Pro, that became my primary-use detector for taking on just about any type of search environment, and it remained my #1 general-purpose detector until January of 2015.

Timbertodd
The first of this week I was down on the Wilson river giving the Apex a go. Running in both Zero mode and Relic, multi freq. with sensitivity 1-2 bars from full I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. It was actually performing smoother than the MXT.
I started out the morning yesterday, Saturday, working with the Garrett Apex with the only coil available, the 6X11 'Viper' DD, and my start-up settings. That would be my 'Custom' Discrimination settings that Accept everything from '20' on up. That set-up therefore is using some rejection and therefore I can make use of Garrett's Iron Audio function on a momentary basis to check some suspicious targets, such as Bottle Caps. My Sensitivity is always at maximum and I only reduce it, with any detector, if there is EMI associated with a search site, and then I only reduce it as needed to stabilize when the coil is at the search height.

I start out in the MF Multi-Flex frequency option, with Volume at '08' and Iron Volume at '02', or '03' if it is a windy or noisier surrounding. I usually have sufficient audio response information with my Custom Disc. setting, but from time-to-time I will make use of the 'Zero' Disc. mode or occasionally the 'Jewelry' mode. ... Briefly.

Yesterday afternoon I took all five detectors I had along to two different areas here in town and GB'ed those models that offered that function. It is interesting to note the different start-up Ground Phase values manufacturers have used, and the differences from model to model of the read-outs when they are GB'ed. With the Apex, most of the GB resulted in a Ground Phase read-out between '87' and '91' so I knew I was taking on some higher-mineralized ground conditions.

As I will report in a reply to my initial post, I was pleasantly surprised with the overall performance of the new Garrett Apex in my side-by-side evaluations and made me more determined to go find a good 'Homestead Rock' to really make a challenge for these devices. The Apex is really a very good detector. The best I have had from Garrett in a long time, and I am really hoping to see a smaller-size coil released for the Apex. I bought a 2nd new Apex that's hanging on my den wall display just waiting for a smaller-size coil to be attached for the trashier places that seem to be just about everywhere these days .... urban or remote..

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

Monte 109 September 26, 2020 12:16PM

Saturday was interesting with 7 different detectors.

Monte 69 September 27, 2020 08:35AM

The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

Monte 71 September 27, 2020 08:23PM

Re: The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

EL NINO 45 September 28, 2020 10:46AM

Just some reminders and why I like having a versatile team of detectors.

Monte 45 September 28, 2020 07:21AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 46 September 28, 2020 07:04AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Monte 49 September 28, 2020 07:48AM

Re: How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 38 September 28, 2020 09:15AM

"What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body N/T

D&P-OR 38 September 27, 2020 09:01PM

Re: "What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body

D&P-OR 40 September 27, 2020 10:39PM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

RickUK 45 September 27, 2020 08:04AM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

UtahRich 41 September 28, 2020 12:02AM

RickUK, nice to read your site history and search info.

Monte 39 September 27, 2020 09:14AM

Timbertodd 51 September 26, 2020 03:51PM

Comments about your MXT and Apex experiences.

Monte 56 September 27, 2020 01:05AM

D&P-OR 56 September 26, 2020 02:37PM

"Try the CTX out there also Monte---you'll love it!thumbs up" ... Nope.

Monte 61 September 26, 2020 07:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020