Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saturday was interesting with 7 different detectors.

September 27, 2020 08:35AM avatar
I set out for a day of evaluating performance in pea gravel mixed with gritty size gravel, then into some smaller rocks of ½" to 2" diameter that were a mix of mineralization and not all consistent-looking or consistent-reading when units were Ground Balanced. Still, they presented some smaller 'IMB' rocks to deal with. I was hoping to find a bigger-size and somewhat fltish rock to keep on-hand as a 'Homestead Rock' for evaluations and seminar use, but none were in the two areas I hunted. I guess I'll need to make a drive to one of the gold mining era ghost towns in search for a good sample rock just to make it a greater challenge..

But I did come across one smaller rock that I grabbed to make use of for some initial testing. It's not as big as I want / need, but it was big enough to start showing me some of the performance differences between the different detector & coil combinations I had along with me. The particular rock I grabbed measures close to 4" in length, 3" wide, and 1¼" thick at the center. It produces a Ground Phase read-out on the different models as follows (just so you can see how different the makes/models are by design):

'90/91'.. Garrett Apex w/6X11 DD 'Viper'
** ......... Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
'87.8'.... Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR'
'87.2'.... Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/5X9½ DD
** ......... Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric
'78/79'.. White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric
**.......... White's XLT w/6½" Concentric

** Models with a fixed GB, no GB display info, or I didn't check the GB.

As I frequently state in most forum posts regarding any comparisons, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector. All of them have their own strengths and weaknesses. So whenever I set out to do any evaluations and multi-unit comparisons, I already have my pre-determined 'guess' of what I might expect out of at least a few models I have ample experience with. Then I just soak in all the information I can gather about how they all perform. Later, if necessary, I try to figure out why or why-not, but the main thing I want to learn is what they can and can't do, and that way I can make better use of them afield.

Now, take a look at the 7 detectors I used for comparison on the palm-size 'IMB' rock I described. In order of brand, they wer the:

Garrett Apex w/6X11 DD 'Viper'
Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR'
Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/5X9½ DD
Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric
White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric

I had 5 of my Daily Use models, but just out of interest and for this type of comparison, I included my Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD and my White's XLT w/6½" Concentric that are in my Specialty Use team. Taking a look at the seven models listed above, see if you can guess which detector & coil combos fit the following results I had. It could be one or more that fit the following results.

A.. Did not produce a decent audio response in the motion-based Discriminate mode?

B.. Produced a lower-range Iron Audio Tone or a broken Iron / Non-Iron Audio Tone>

C.. Gave a good, repeatable Audio response but a very low VDI visual read-out near the Iron / Non-Iron break-point?

D.. Produced a Non-Iron Audio response, but a slightly lower VDI read-out than a modern US Zinc Cent?

E.. Provided both a close-to-proper Audio Tone ID as well as a visual VDI display response?

There you go, with A thru E categories any of the 7 different models could fit in, and remember, it can be one or more that made some of those five categories of performance. This was the results of performance with a modern US Zinc Cent on the ground and directly under the 3" WX4" LX1¼" thick rock, not a bigger-size rock that was creating the 'IMB' effect. And this was a test of performance to see which detector would at least provide me with a dig-worthy Audio response. I would then move the suspect rock and sweep the spot again to try and get a more proper Audio Target ID as well as Visual Target ID of the hidden target.

Go ahead and jot down your thoughts of how those different units might have performed and I'll give you the answers shortly.

Also, so you'll know how I test and the site environment, I can tell you that the hand-sized rock and the areas with gritty gravel to smaller-size rocks were in two areas, one being close to a rodeo arena and I was encountering (hearing) quite a few Iron Nails with most being shoe nails. A bit of other debris in the area, too, so it wasn't a pristine, clean site to hunt and that meant the detector performance was going to be influences by some nearby iron depending upon the direction of sweep and the coil size used.

Testing a detector and coil is done by making a 'normal' side-to-side sweep with the center-axis of the search coil crossing the target spot. Not a simple wonder-wiggle over the known location, but a regular-type approach with a normal side-to-side sweep, and crossing the coil from both the left and from the right.

I used each of these detectors just as they turn-on or would be set for everyday hunting that I'd do.. Also, I then checked them with a higher and lower Discrimination setting than I normally use, and in the case of the Apex, I first checked in the MF frequency, and then in each of the 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz and 20 kHz single frequencies.

I'm going to be heading over to re-hunt some of the area again this morning, now that I have a couple of battery issues resolved with two of the detectors I had along. But today it's back to my Daily Use team of detectors as I try to find an area where they might have dumped some of the renovated dirt from when they sculptured the city park many years ago. But I'll report back on the results I had from all these models yesterday when I return.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

Monte 115 September 26, 2020 12:16PM

Saturday was interesting with 7 different detectors.

Monte 70 September 27, 2020 08:35AM

The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

Monte 73 September 27, 2020 08:23PM

Re: The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

EL NINO 47 September 28, 2020 10:46AM

Just some reminders and why I like having a versatile team of detectors.

Monte 45 September 28, 2020 07:21AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 47 September 28, 2020 07:04AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Monte 50 September 28, 2020 07:48AM

Re: How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 38 September 28, 2020 09:15AM

"What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body N/T

D&P-OR 40 September 27, 2020 09:01PM

Re: "What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body

D&P-OR 42 September 27, 2020 10:39PM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

RickUK 46 September 27, 2020 08:04AM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

UtahRich 41 September 28, 2020 12:02AM

RickUK, nice to read your site history and search info.

Monte 40 September 27, 2020 09:14AM

Timbertodd 52 September 26, 2020 03:51PM

Comments about your MXT and Apex experiences.

Monte 62 September 27, 2020 01:05AM

D&P-OR 58 September 26, 2020 02:37PM

"Try the CTX out there also Monte---you'll love it!thumbs up" ... Nope.

Monte 63 September 26, 2020 07:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 43
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020