Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

September 27, 2020 08:23PM avatar
Here are the 7 detectors I used for comparison on the palm-size 'IMB' rock I described. I listed them in order of their brand. The 'Intense Mineral Body' used was a somewhat flattish rock that measured 3" Wide X 4" Long X1¼" Thick in the middle. I placed that palm-size rock on top of and centered on a US Zinc Cent. I swept each detector and coil shown over the rock, sweeping lengthwise with the center-axis of the search coil and listened for a dig-worthy repeatable audio response. A glance at the display only showed me how each detector performed and the visual VDI response I got from Zinc Cent that was being 'masked' or 'partially-masked' by the solid-body mineralized rock.

Again, here are the detectors and coils used:

Garrett Apex w/6X11 DD 'Viper'
Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR'
Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/5X9½ DD
Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric
White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric

I had 5 of my Daily Use models, but just out of interest and for this type of comparison, I included my Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD and my White's XLT w/6½" Concentric that are in my Specialty Use Team. Taking a look at the seven models listed above, did you try to guess which detector & coil combos fit the following results I had. It could be one or more that fit the following results.

A.. Did not produce a decent audio response in the motion-based Discriminate mode?

B.. Produced a lower-range Iron Audio Tone or a broken Iron / Non-Iron Audio Tone>

C.. Gave a good, repeatable Audio response but a very low VDI visual read-out near the Iron / Non-Iron break-point?

D.. Produced a Non-Iron Audio response, but a slightly lower VDI read-out than a modern US Zinc Cent?

E.. Provided both a close-to-proper Audio Tone ID as well as a visual VDI display response?

Well, here are the results I had from these detectors in answer to the performance questions I listed:

A.. Did not produce a decent audio response in the motion-based Discriminate mode?
► One of the models I like to use for some tasks failed to give me an audio response on the Zinc Cent. The Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric at the minimum Discrimination setting with a 'normal' sweep speed crossing the rock. It did produce a good 'Beep!' but only with an incredibly slow sweep. So slow you would not normally search that way.

B.. Produced a lower-range Iron Audio Tone or a broken Iron / Non-Iron Audio Tone>
► That model was my White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric coil, Accepting from the Disc. segments of -10 all the way up. In 2-Tone I had the up-scale audio tone, but in 4-Tone it was the lower or 2nd Tone just near the Iron Audio Tone, broken and fluctuating. That was because I only reject from -10 on down.

► Also, the White's XLT using my 'Bushwhack' program that Accepts -40 to +95. A normal sweep speed resulted in a lot of noisy audio responses with a lower-range of tones, using Tone ID, that included down into the Iron Audio range and the very low Non-Ferrous range, and very erratic.

C.. Gave an OK repeatable Audio response but a very low VDI visual read-out near the Iron / Non-Iron break-point?
► Again, that was the White's MX-7 that produced a jumpy VDI from '-6' to '00' and sometimes a flicker lower or higher by 1 or 2 numbers, but basically at '00' or just a few numbers lower.

► Also, once again, the White's XLT that produced very jumpy VDI read-outs from '-8' to '+21' and sometimes up to '+31' or down to '-11'.

D.. Produced a Non-Iron Audio response, but a slightly lower VDI read-out than a modern US Zinc Cent?
► A very good, repeatable Audio Tone ID from the Simplex + w/5X9½ DD coil, but the VDI read-out was just a few numbers lower than a Zinc Cent. Still, very close, and the VDI response was surprisingly kind of 'tight' and supported the very good audio hit. Definitely a response you'd investigate and recover.

► The Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD (and FORS Relic w/5" DD I might add since I grabbed it really quick) also worked quite well with a solid, repeatable audio hit and visual VDI response, but the Zinc Cent read '±67' and w/o the rock it would have been '±82', and therefore the Audio response on the CoRe was a mid-tone rather than high-tone using the 3-Tone mode. So a slightly incorrect audio and visual ID, but a very good sounding and good read-out to make you move the rock and check the target, just like you would with the slightly 'off' Simplex + result.

E.. Provided both a close-to-proper Audio Tone ID as well as a visual VDI display response?
► Virtually a tie between the Garrett Apex w/6X11 DD coil and Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD. Both of these units gave a very good Audio response with a 'proper' Tone ID range, and both of them produced a 'proper' numeric VDI response or very close. Between these two models I might give a tiny edge to the V-540 for possibly a somewhat tighter VDI, but that's partly because they don't use a broad-range of numeric scale. And I'd give the Apex the edge for being able to hit on the coin better at a wider-range of sweep speeds than the V-540.

And now I'll bring the Nokta / Makro Simplex + back in the discussion because even though the VDI was just a bit lower than a 'proper' Zinc Cent reading, it was still very tight and consistent, and the audio report was also very impressive, in the 3-Tone Park 1 mode, the 2-Tone VCO enhanced Field mode, and the 2-Tone Non-VCO Beach mode. Also, the audio response was also very quick at any sweep speed like the Garrett Apex.

Oh, and before you ask, Yes, I did check out the Garrett Apex in the MF function I use at start-up, but I also checked each of the four Single-Frequencies and, in every case ,the Apex still worked quite well.

My field evaluations in gritty gravel, Pea Gravel, smaller rocks of ½" to 2" in diameter, and then taking on some of those hand-sized rocks that all present more challenging 'IMB" conditions to deal with, confirmed that I would be just fine grabbing any of these three favorite models in my Daily Use Team --- The Garrett Apex, Minelab Vanquish 540 or Nokta / Makro Simplex +. All three of them handled all of the more challenging ground mineral conditions, including increases in size of very mineralized material and rocks, and produced very impressive audio response and useful visual VDI reports to complement the audio.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 07:31AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

Monte 115 September 26, 2020 12:16PM

Saturday was interesting with 7 different detectors.

Monte 70 September 27, 2020 08:35AM

The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

Monte 72 September 27, 2020 08:23PM

Re: The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

EL NINO 47 September 28, 2020 10:46AM

Just some reminders and why I like having a versatile team of detectors.

Monte 45 September 28, 2020 07:21AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 47 September 28, 2020 07:04AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Monte 50 September 28, 2020 07:48AM

Re: How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 38 September 28, 2020 09:15AM

"What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body N/T

D&P-OR 40 September 27, 2020 09:01PM

Re: "What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body

D&P-OR 42 September 27, 2020 10:39PM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

RickUK 46 September 27, 2020 08:04AM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

UtahRich 41 September 28, 2020 12:02AM

RickUK, nice to read your site history and search info.

Monte 40 September 27, 2020 09:14AM

Timbertodd 52 September 26, 2020 03:51PM

Comments about your MXT and Apex experiences.

Monte 62 September 27, 2020 01:05AM

D&P-OR 58 September 26, 2020 02:37PM

"Try the CTX out there also Monte---you'll love it!thumbs up" ... Nope.

Monte 63 September 26, 2020 07:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 43
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020