Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just some reminders and why I like having a versatile team of detectors.

September 28, 2020 07:21AM avatar
Any metal detector might satisfy someone for what their detecting wants and needs might be. Select a detector that works well for you, and get the best that you can afford, then learn it, use it and enjoy it. Having 'fun' and getting all the enjoyment out of this great sport is what I have always wanted to do ... and that desire dates back a long, long time.

But it was also a long, long time ago, late 1971 and going into '72, that I also compared a couple of different detectors I had worked with in a variety of hunt sites just to get to know them better and appreciate the fact that one of them provided a little different performance for me in a few of the more challenging places I hunted than what I was using. My brother Ed used a different brand than I did so I borrowed his, and some good friends were Dealers and had the more prominent metal detector business around and I was able to make use of several competitive brands to continue my comparisons.

It was at that point in time, '71-'72, that I decided to have a 'Detector Team' and acquired a 2nd model to complement my main-use detector and add to the flexibility of how I hunted and where I hunted in order to tackle the different site challenges I might encounter. That was a fast-paced era when we had many new circuitry designs just coming into play and I added a model with Discrimination. I did add one or two more as time progressed, or replaced a main-use unit with something I felt was an improvement, because I was finding a lot of coins back then and that let me easily afford to pick up a good deal on some detectors that were, by today's comparisons, reasonably affordable.

I didn't use all of my detectors all the time, favoring to use just one or two of them most often that travelled with me, but I had some others that I just happened to like for specific tasks and I ended up with a versatile 'Detector Outfit' by late 1975 and early '76. I still had one or two conventional TR's, a TR-Discriminator, a favorite BFO Discriminator, and a more versatile general-purpose VLF/TR-Disc. model.

(For newcomers to this sport, that term simply describes a 2-mode detector. 'VLF' stood for a model working in the Very Low Frequency range and, by that description implied it was a Ground Cancelling model working in the All Metal accept mode. Then, upon a target detection, we could switch to a traditional TR-Disc. mode, still operating in the very-low frequency range, but without GB. Only a traditional TR-Discrimination mode to try and classify if a target was potentially good or bad by accepting it with a positive 'Beep' or rejecting it due to a negative, rejecting audio response. It would be two or three more years before we first saw a VLF-Disc. design, or what is now referred to as a motion-based Discriminate mode that cancelled the ground mineral signal as well as Discriminated targets based on their conductivity.}

Having my multi-line Dealer friends back then, plus in '74 I started working with prototypes from detector manufacturers which also added to me ability to learn new products and compare them with my Detector Outfit, and that let me pick-and-choose as desired .... when something new and useful for my needs was coming out, and I can tell you not all new-model releases are all that spectacular. Not way back then and not all that we see introduced in more recent years, either. The latest isn't always the greatest, and we often might finding ourselves using a detector or two that might be just a little dated, but the performance is still there and there's no immediate need to replace it. Instead, just keep enjoying and using it to have 'fun' and make recoveries. It's already been learned, hopefully, so there's no new learning curve to del with.

No everyone hunts in an environment with highly mineralized black sand or a gritty ground make-up. Nor do a lot of people search areas wich more mineralized pea gravel, or into smaller decorative rocks in the ½" to 2" diameter as I described above. And I also know many average Hobbyists are Coin Hunting the typical places and never encounter a site that has a lot of bigger-size rocks to deal with, such as the hand-size or palm-size rock I used in the above sample as an Intense Mineral Body or 'IMB' that measured 3" Wide by 4" Long and a 1¼" Thickness at the center.

If a reader never hunts those types of ground conditions, or encounters a place with fallen-down rocks from an old chimney or stone structure wall, then they don't have any concern if their detector choice, coil choice or settings would handle such an encounter or not. However, if you do hunt such an environment, it would be good to know if your detector set-up would be up to the task-at-hand or not. That is why I provided this post. To help get folks thinking about different challenges we might wander into and know how come ground conditions as described might have a negative effect on the detector they have chosen to use.

I know what mine are capable of, their various strengths and weaknesses, so I have a Detector Outfit I can draw from that will provide me the right tool for the task-at-hand. Average ground for average Coin & Jewelry Hunting, taking on wet saltwater environments, dealing with highly mineralized and 'IMB' conditions, or making a jaunt where the density of Iron Nails and other ferrous debris poses an annoying threat ... I am ready because I can select the better models I have on-hand that will provide the performance ... and results ... I need for the challenges I'll face.

Just some thoughts,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

Monte 115 September 26, 2020 12:16PM

Saturday was interesting with 7 different detectors.

Monte 71 September 27, 2020 08:35AM

The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

Monte 73 September 27, 2020 08:23PM

Re: The Results →→→ 7 detectors take on a 3"X4"X1¼" rock.

EL NINO 47 September 28, 2020 10:46AM

Just some reminders and why I like having a versatile team of detectors.

Monte 45 September 28, 2020 07:21AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 47 September 28, 2020 07:04AM

How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Monte 50 September 28, 2020 07:48AM

Re: How about the Nokta FORS CoRe?

Kickindirt 38 September 28, 2020 09:15AM

"What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body N/T

D&P-OR 40 September 27, 2020 09:01PM

Re: "What means "IMB?----Or did I miss it?" ... My initial post: Intense Mineral Body

D&P-OR 42 September 27, 2020 10:39PM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

RickUK 46 September 27, 2020 08:04AM

Re: How about useable detectors for very high mineralization, pea gravel, rocks and IMB's?

UtahRich 41 September 28, 2020 12:02AM

RickUK, nice to read your site history and search info.

Monte 41 September 27, 2020 09:14AM

Timbertodd 52 September 26, 2020 03:51PM

Comments about your MXT and Apex experiences.

Monte 62 September 27, 2020 01:05AM

D&P-OR 58 September 26, 2020 02:37PM

"Try the CTX out there also Monte---you'll love it!thumbs up" ... Nope.

Monte 63 September 26, 2020 07:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020