Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Way back then we had the Garret Master Hunter packages, and other brands also.

October 05, 2020 11:19AM avatar
Garrett would have a model and give it a name with one coil, and if it was their top-end model they would simply add an additional search coil with it and change that model name to Master Hunter. The consumer ended up with a two coil package, and in some cases it could be a 3 coil package. Other companies did similar things, to include D-Tex, White's and more.

A lot of detectors came standard with a smaller size coil, such as plus or minus 6" or 7" diameter, while most standard coils were about 8". If you wanted a larger coil than that, most of those ran from 10" to 12" in diameter. As a rule, a larger size coil was more of a specialty use coil, such as looking for larger size objects. It could be a valve cover box, buried sprinkler heads, following up on research to seek a hidden cache, and so on.

Smaller size coils had always been the most popular accessory coil from the standard 8" size because they worked in and around trash, building rubble, metal play structures or metal fences, and so many other applications. It wasn't until about 1988 when White's brought out there 950 as a standard coil, and shortly after we saw the 10" or 10½" coils popular on Minelab models. Since then, it's almost been like a vicious rush to see who could offer the more attractive bigger size coil as standard. FTP did it in 2006 with the Teknetics T2 with the 11" BiAxial coil. They call it a 7 X11 but both the width and length dimensions are slightly more than that.

To me, an ideal new package might be something like taking the Makro Racer 2, put it in a new comfortable package similar to the Minelab Vanquish 540 so that it is still a handy land-based detector with replaceable AA batteries. And sell it brand new with the 7 inch concentric coil as standard. Let the consumer buy a 5-inch if they want smaller, or something like the 5X9½ or 11" if they want larger.

I look at the Minelab Vanquish 540, and I bought the Pro Pack to get the two coil package. But I know quite a few people who would buy the V-540 if the standard coil was the 5 X 8 DD coil, because they don't have that much use for the 9X12 DD search coil.

It will be interesting to see what all the different existing manufacturers might come up with for new products and standard coils in 2021.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2020 05:37AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Small coils

D&P-OR 72 October 04, 2020 07:31PM

Re: Small coils

Timbertodd 37 October 05, 2020 05:23AM

Yes, i have contcted both companies.

Monte 54 October 05, 2020 12:29AM

diggindeep 45 October 04, 2020 07:45PM

OregonGregg 41 October 05, 2020 05:47AM

Re: Nokta shot out the gate

Kickindirt 42 October 05, 2020 10:28AM

Way back then we had the Garret Master Hunter packages, and other brands also.

Monte 45 October 05, 2020 11:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020